Class 37 Metals Sector Snowplough

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
matruck
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TS12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 287284

Class 37 Metals Sector Snowplough

Post by matruck »

Doing sum research into the model in the title i have come across a ton of pic's where the class 37 loco's are fitted with snowploughs but also just as many pic's where the snowploughs are not fitted so were they only fitted to those loco's which were likely to encounter snow so those loco's mainly stayed in that area ?,
Or were snowploughs only fitted during the winter months to those locos likely to encounter snow ?.
Silly questions i know but the snowploughs don't exactly look like a light item they could just throw on when they wanted they look rather solid and heavy. Any help appreciated folk's.
Cheers Mick. :)
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Re: Class 37 Metals Sector Snowplough

Post by Briggsy »

I'm speaking purely from observation during my spotting days - rather than providing factual information, but from memory, I remember the snowplough being on all year round. I also think that most of the snowplough fitted locos were the ones that tended to work in Scotland and also the Welsh snowy areas - for example, I remember many of the 37/4s having snowploughs - particularly 37408 (Loch Rannoch). That worked in the Scottish Highlands before moving south to work the Regional Railways loco-hauls between Birmingham International-Crewe-Manchester Piccadilly / Victoria-North Wales services.

A similar thing happened with the 47s that worked up in Scotland. Some of those had snowploughs too - whereas it wasn't so common to see ploughed 47's further south.
matruck
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TS12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 287284

Re: Class 37 Metals Sector Snowplough

Post by matruck »

Thanks Briggsy.
Cheers Mick.