Rail fare increases

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Rail fare increases

Post by PFX »

Being lucky, or not, as I am to currently reside in Northern Ulsterland where there are no fare increases or much of a rail network to be honest (the railway is still in public ownership but the holding company is running at a massive deficit) I'm not surprised at the annual UK fares increase. State-owned rail companies in other EU countries have to fund better services for their own passengers somehow. What better way than to get UK passengers to pay for it?

Perhaps if the army ran the railways (utilising DOO of course) and the British Empire was brought back under the yoke of Health & Safety Legislation, rail travel would only be tuppence for a day rover to anywhere and the unions would be banished to the history books along with British Leyland.
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Re: Rail fare increases

Post by blackwatch13 »

With all the cut backs in our armed forces, I doubt we have enough bodies in the army to man our railways.
(although we probably have enough medal encrusted 'Top Brass' to have a 'Fat Controller' at every station) :|
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Rail fare increases

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...Perhaps if the army ran the railways (utilising DOO of course) and the British Empire was brought back under the yoke of Health & Safety Legislation, rail travel would only be tuppence for a day rover to anywhere and the unions would be banished to the history books along with British Leyland.
Ah yes, but us mere peasants would probably be on an unenviable wage of around a farthing a month (for our younger members: a farthing was a quarter of a penny) and travelling without a ticket would be punishable by a "once in a lifetime" appearance in front of a firing squad :(

Dave