Stop Markers

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
naf1234
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766

Stop Markers

Post by naf1234 »

This may seem like a very specific observation but here we go...

Dotted around Southern stations on the Brighton Main Line (like Clapham Junction, Balham, Streatham Common etc) I've noticed the train stop markers for Desiro City units (class 700 and 707) placed on the platforms. I assume this might be because the new South Western franchise has vowed to get rid of the new 707s?

If anyone can confirm this, or knows anything otherwise, a reply would be much appreciated :D

Nathan
I've spent too much time on the other sim...

Nathan
RowanTrodd
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TS12

Re: Stop Markers

Post by RowanTrodd »

On my travels I saw a 707 stop marker on the down at Branksome (to allow for reversal into Bournemouth Depot). As this is a relatively recent addition, it indicates they expect to be doing deep cleaning and light maintenance on them in the heart of the South Western network. Where the 700/707 carriages are far longer than a standard EMU, I suspect that once the provision is made, it gives them the option of running them on those routes.

The 707s are likely to remain in or near the city of London in the near future as they're not fitted with toilets, restricting their roaming ability. They are also easily convertible to 25kV overhead supply, so if the new First/MTR franchise decide not to use them they could serve other commuter services in North London and potentially further afield too. The 700s do have toilets and with their longer formation, plenty of capacity - as Thameslink's 700s travel down to Brighton, I'd suspect that Balham and Streatham Common will be likely to receive a 700 service at some time in the future.