new pacer replacments 
 Post subject: Re: new pacer replacments
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm 
Past 100!

Trainz Version: TRS2006,TC3,TS2010
Trainz Build: 49933
Author KUID: 347716
Briggsy wrote:
Why do I get the feeling these still won't be scrapped! I have visions of them running the Bedford to Bletchley route freeing up a couple of 150's.

Hi Briggsy,
You forgot the local connection here, Coventry to Nuneaton and Coventry to Leamington once Kenilworth station is eventually finished!!! :lol:

In this months railway Magazine they are on about LNW using the class 230 former LU units on the Bedford to Bletchley service.
Chris A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:41 pm 
Milepost 5

Trainz Version: Mac 2
Trainz Build: 65333
Author KUID: 306203
trainzrule wrote:
ScottAS2 wrote:
I really feel sorry for the Northern area. They've had the short end of the rolling stock stick pretty much since privatisation; if anyone deserves new stock, it's them. Am I right in thinking this is the first time since privatisation Northern'll have actually new trains that aren't hand-me-downs from someone else?

You forgot the class 333. :D

Ah, true. That just shows the scale of the problem off worse, though: only sixteen new trains since privatisation!

Shippy2013 wrote:
klambert wrote:
cyberdonblue wrote:
From what I gather, the government twisted Northern's arm up their back before they agreed the current franchise with them. The condition was that all Pacers have to be replaced with new stock by 2020.

2020 sounds a bit optimistic, there'll probably still be lurching into 2025.

Highly likely as believe it or not, their relatively wide doors and flat floors mean they are compliant with the 2020 disability access ruling.

Surely not? You have to go up stairs to get into them, just like the buses they're descended from.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:25 pm 
Past 250!

Trainz Version: TS12 + S&C
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 0
Briggsy wrote:
I'm amazed those things are allowed to even run on the railways still. I shudder to think how they'd stand up to a head-on collision.

It's baffling how old Mk1 coaches are not allowed to be used on the railways now without a sturdier barrier coach or loco - yet these tins on wheels seem to be invincible.

Pretty sure the barrier vehicle requirement for Mk1 stock was lifted in 2012.
No need to think how they'd stand up, this is how one DID fare in a rear-end collision:
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/15dc8799f40b4d3ba7ac228a9d6ee1dc/train-crashcheshire-g4mt43.jpg

Crash-worthiness is only one of the considerations though. Door locking is a big issue, as is inflammability. Trust me, you don't want to be trapped inside a Mk1 if it caught fire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 am 
Forum Veteran

Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 78667
Author KUID: 0
We have one of the prototypes for the pacer at the railway I volunteer at; RB3. It's proved as unreliable in preservation as it did in service and hasn't operated for many years except for one unusual move during a diesel gala when it was hooked up to and hauled by a tamper. Now it just sits taking up valuable space in our shed.