Lickey Lectrics'

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Lickey Lectrics'

Post by Nexusdj »

The first run of an electric train down the Lickey incline to Bromsgrove is in the system for this Sunday evening (20/5/2018) :
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/ ... &order=wtt

ECS Soho to Bromsgrove , Then 2 return trips empty to New Street then back to Soho .

Looks like the full electric service of extended cross city services starts on Sunday 29th July 2018 :
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/ ... &order=wtt
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Lickey Lectrics'

Post by cyberdonblue »

Standby for a few SPADS then when some of those rookie, know it all drivers find out about REAL rail conditions for the first time. There's nowhere better than going down Bromsgrove Bank as the Autumn arrives ha ha ha! I think the leccies will be impressive coming UP the bank (though I'm not too sure about during leaf fall) but a bit of a nightmare going downhill in the wet and slippery times. They won't be going over the top at line speed in bad conditions anyway, not if they've got any plans for stopping at Bromsgrove :lol: At least there are TWO platforms at Bromsgrove these days. We used to have to go bang road through a 15mph crossover "when I were a lad!" :lol:

I'll be interested to see how quick they can "come over the top" at this time of year. With a diesel of any description (except a light engine, obviously) you would be expecting to arrive at about 20 to 30 mph, depending on the size of your train. I wouldn't be surprised to see a leccy achieve around 50.

Cheers

Dave
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

cyberdonblue wrote:At least there are TWO platforms at Bromsgrove these days. We used to have to go bang road through a 15mph crossover "when I were a lad!" :lol:
Catch up Dave, it's FOUR platforms now! :lol:
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

I don't know the history of the electrification of the area, but I'm quite surpassed the incline wasn't electrified sooner, as I imagine the tractive effort of electric locos would make them great bankers. As is common across the pond in the states.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Class172 wrote:
cyberdonblue wrote:At least there are TWO platforms at Bromsgrove these days. We used to have to go bang road through a 15mph crossover "when I were a lad!" :lol:
Catch up Dave, it's FOUR platforms now! :lol:
FOUR :shock: :shock: Bloody hell! I never knew that - but then I haven't been down there for 10 years, even though it's not that far away from me. :oops:
klambert wrote:I don't know the history of the electrification of the area, but I'm quite surpassed the incline wasn't electrified sooner, as I imagine the tractive effort of electric locos would make them great bankers. As is common across the pond in the states.
It can be a bit of a nightmare when the rail conditions there are bad, Karl. A leccy loco would probably end up with a bunch of Catherine Wheels more often than not. I've had wheelslip at 100 mph just on a wet rail on the level with a Class 87 whereas a diesel wouldn't flinch at that speed (although it would take about a month to achieve that speed on a level road with a diesel loco and stock.) It was always 2 Class 37s doing the banking there for as long as I can remember - the kettles were long gone when I started - and even they struggled to get a grip sometimes.

The speed at the bottom of the bank was 80 mph (don't know what it is now.) Returning from Bristol once with a passenger train, I arrived at that point doing 85 and a bit mph ( ;) ) only to slip to a complete stand half way up the bank. We then struggled for 40 minutes with the 2 bank engines behind, firstly to get moving and then to keep going, until we crep over the top at 10 mph. It can be hell. I think they're going to need some superglue on the rails up there, never mind sandite, when the 323s start running regularly.

Cheers

Dave
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

323222 and 323206 had the honour of working down to Bromsgrove :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkIlfFJf4bI

Had to post the link as I can't see embedded YouTube videos on here now when using Chrome ?!
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Nexusdj wrote:323222 and 323206 had the honour of working down to Bromsgrove :D

Had to post the link as I can't see embedded YouTube videos on here now when using Chrome ?!
Was it on time? This new bunch seem even more unreliable than London Midland :lol:
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Briggsy wrote:
Nexusdj wrote:323222 and 323206 had the honour of working down to Bromsgrove :D

Was it on time? This new bunch seem even more unreliable than London Midland :lol:
Bloody hell, that takes some achieving! :shock:

Cheers

Dave ;)