New Irish Member Here!

New members please feel free to introduce yourself to everyone.
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Re: New Irish Member Here!

Post by Itareus »

blackwatch13 wrote:
Itareus wrote:James

Do you know if your laptop has on-board graphics or a dedicated graphics card ?
James stated in his earlier post ...........
but my desktop should run it very well compared to the newer version of TRS e.g. TRS2012.
.... so could well have a graphics card installed.
:oops: Remind me to wake up before replying :D .

James,

Well you have made your choice now, just be aware that if you decide to go into content creation at a later date you will really need to get a later version of Trainz.

C
thejamesrankin
New Starter
Trainz Version: 12

Post by thejamesrankin »

I've got it installed now. However one thing is bugging me, I got this disc from the local secondhand shop and as per usual the serial code is registered with another account. Would this cause any trouble for me? The Content Manager works okay and it shows me that I have 100 MB of data left to download for today.

James.
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

thejamesrankin wrote:I've got it installed now. However one thing is bugging me, I got this disc from the local secondhand shop and as per usual the serial code is registered with another account. Would this cause any trouble for me? The Content Manager works okay and it shows me that I have 100 MB of data left to download for today.

James.
Usually, without having a valid serial number registered with your account, you will not have access to any downloads - have you tried any yet? The 100MB limit is in line with the standard download service; this is removed through the acquisition of a First Class Ticket (FCT).
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Welcome to the forum :D

Once a serial number had been registered then it cant be transferred and re-registered .
Without a valid serial number you will not be able to download any content from the DLS .
You need to purchase and register a new version to be able to access the DLS .

As a footnote you wont be able to download from the DLS with a version of Trainz below 2009 without a first class ticket .
Also free DLS access for 2009 and 2010 finishes this September (2014) so these versions will also need a ticket to continue to download (trying to find web page to confirm this ?) .

EDIT : found the page and 2009 and 2010 free access does finish September 2014 :
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/inde ... cle_Policy
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
thejamesrankin
New Starter

Post by thejamesrankin »

Taking your advice on board (excuse the pun) and having a think to myself, I've scrimped the pennies together and I am going to buy a brand new copy of Trainz Simulator 2010 tomorrow. In return I will have a simulator that I can download all of the content that I require free of charge until September, I will have a valid serial code and I will have a game that runs smooth on my desktop without the lag and the bugs associated with MSTS. In addition to this I can also build my own routes!

Does anybody else want to have their say before I take the plunge?

As a reminder my PC specs are as follows:

2.9 Ghz Dual Core AMD Athlon II Processor
Nvidea GeForce 210 512 MB GPU
3 GB RAM

www.game-debate.com analysed that my PC can indeed run this game without any issues.

James.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Although I'm not as knowledgeable as some on here, I would say that if I were you, I'd save up a little more and get TS12. If your PC can run 2010 it can almost certainly run TS12, and September isn't that far away...

However if you're sure, go for it!
James M, creator of the
network
thejamesrankin
New Starter

Post by thejamesrankin »

Mightyena wrote:Although I'm not as knowledgeable as some on here, I would say that if I were you, I'd save up a little more and get TS12. If your PC can run 2010 it can almost certainly run TS12, and September isn't that far away...

However if you're sure, go for it!
That is exactly what I've just done! I bought it last night on the official website and downloaded it to save waiting for a physical disk. I will install it this evening once back from college. I'm actually excited because that HST looks great! What British EMU's would I have access to for free? Also what British routes have been modelled? I see somebody on here has the Derry-Belfast line modelled. That's my local!

James.
thejamesrankin
New Starter

Post by thejamesrankin »

I'd just like to let you guys know that I am having a great time with Trainz 12! It is certainly offering more than what MSTS did and although I do get the occasional stutter I can easily adjust my settings a little notch to compensate but retain the amazing graphics! I honestly thought it would look childish and unrealistic but Trainz has certainly come a long way since 2006. I am having a little problem though and I'm hoping somebody can help. When I drive a train with the non-DCC controls the train barely reaches anything above 10 mph yet when I drive the train with DCC controls it accelerates like normal and reaches it's top speed. What is causing this and how do I fix it? This affects the Class 501, the built in HST and the LU stock I have downloaded and tweaked to work in Trainz 12.

Regards, James.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

There is a chance that your trying to apply too much traction power and the train is wheel slipping ?
Try starting off using just the first or second power notches and then once your up to about 5 mph move the power controller to notch 3 and so on as train speed increases.
Some of the train cabs have a yellow wheelslip light on the instrument panel , If this is lit then you will generally hear a slipping metallic sound coming from the train to indicate that the wheels are slipping and also the speed indication on the hud (top right of screen) will be flashing .

It's a bit like a car where you need to start off steadily and increase speed , If you floor the accelerator then the car will probably wheel spin and paint part of your tyres on the road ;)

DCC is set up basic like a train controller , trains have a bit of inertia but if you suddenly shut off power they generally don't coast very far .
Cab mode is set up to mimic real life Train driving (not completely accurate compared to the real thing but it's getting better over each subsequent release of Trainz) .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Nexusdj wrote:There is a chance that your trying to apply too much traction power and the train is wheel slipping ?
Try starting off using just the first or second power notches and then once your up to about 5 mph move the power controller to notch 3 and so on as train speed increases.
Some of the train cabs have a yellow wheelslip light on the instrument panel , If this is lit then you will generally hear a slipping metallic sound coming from the train to indicate that the wheels are slipping and also the speed indication on the hud (top right of screen) will be flashing .
The wheelslip noise is one of the most annoying things when driving I find. On some trains it seems very unrealistic, as to avoid it the train accelerates so slowly; taking around 2 mins to reach 25mph. It also ruins trying to drive a class 150, as the horrible screeching plays whilst your trying to leave with suitable noise (as they do in real life)... :x
thejamesrankin
New Starter

Post by thejamesrankin »

Hi guys,

You hit the nail on the head with my problem! Getting up to speed properly now when the throttle isn't full whack.

Now can anybody recommend me any UK routes based around London preferably prototypical. When I had MSTS I had the Great Eastern Mainline, ECML, Farrigdon Line and WCML to chose from when I was in the suburban mood. At the moment I am exploring the ECML around Kings Cross but there is a lack of overhead power lines there. I would also be interested in prototypical London Underground routes.

Somebody here recommended using 5WES sounds on the built in Class 313 yet whenever I change the kuid in the Class 313 errors show up. Help? :oops:

James.
Skipper12
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388

Post by Skipper12 »

I recommend the Paddington - Westbury route by nawlins (<kuid:117948:100268>). It is a re-working of an earlier version of the route. Worth noting though that it says the route is only designed for build 49922, and I don't know what you have got. (The build number can be found in the bottom right corner of the launcher)
Keep Calm and PLAY TRAINZ!
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Post by blackwatch13 »

I've got the Paddington - Westbury route running ok in build 61388. :)
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
thejamesrankin
New Starter

Post by thejamesrankin »

Evening guys,

I've bought a 6 month FCT and I'm downloading the Paddington-Westbury route but my download speeds are still around 5 kbps. I thought a FCT allows you to download at full speed (in my case 7 mb)? :(

James.
thejamesrankin
New Starter

Post by thejamesrankin »

FIXED NOW GUYS! :D