Hello

New members please feel free to introduce yourself to everyone.
unknownplays
New Starter
Trainz Version: tane

Hello

Post by unknownplays »

Hi everyone.

I'm Andy or otherwise known on this here interweb as UnknownPlays (The Unknown). I have a small Youtube channel which I build Trainz routes and play Transport Fever. Come and check the channel out sometime. You'll find me by searching "unknown plays trainz".

Everyone gets something different out of this game and for me it's building. The ability to make my own route is what sold this game to me. When I got back into games after a long period away (I write music and love taking photos) I started playing Minecraft with my daughter. That's a few years ago now but I liked the freedom it gave to build whatever where-ever. After that I found Train Fever and later Transport Fever which if you haven't played, you SHOULD. Transport Fever is an excellent game and has a very large modding community. It's a lot of fun. And from there I found Trainz. It brings me the build buzz I need but also has an added session complexity over Transport Fever. It can be infuriating at times but rewarding when things start to work.

Who's excited about the new 2019 game? I know this seems like a tiny thing but I excited about having wavy moving grass on my routes. There's one comment that sticks with me from my Youtube channel. Someone looked at my route and said how "static" the trees and bushes were. He wanted things to move when a train went by. I explained that there are animated trees but these all take just a little bit extra GPU and to make sure it all runs correctly I needed to use them sparingly. But to be honest he was right. Everything was a little too static. Moving grass that does't eat too much into the GPU will be great. I'm not sure if grass will move because of wind generated by a passing train (in theory they could as Nvidia does seem supply the API's for this) but simply having moving scenery will just make everything look a little more real. So I'm quite excited.

Anyway... enough from me. Have a great day guys
Unknown
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Hello

Post by Nexusdj »

Welcome to the forum :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Welcome to the forum Andy. It's nice to see your enthusiasm. I sometimes use Transport Fever as an escape from Trainz when things have not been going well for me in T:ANE (as currently.) However, I think it is a much more light-hearted affair and doesn't really compare with T:ANE and its capabilities. A bit of fun to play though - and much more so with the British mods available.

Nice to have you onboard Andy and as a regular YouTube viewer of all kinds of things I'm sure I'll have a look at your channel at some point.

Cheers :D

Dave
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

Welcome to the forum unknown.

As well as Trainz I also play some Minecraft and have been playing since its early days in Alpha back in 2010, As well as several other (mainly simulator) games.

Mark
unknownplays
New Starter
Trainz Version: tane

Post by unknownplays »

Marky7890; I don't get to play too many games these days. Running a small web design business is 24/7 and uploading vids each week to Youtube takes a lot longer than you would think. The Trainz vids takes a good few hours per 20min vid. But even though I don't get that many views it's fun to do.

cyberdonblue; You are completely right. Trainz has far more complexity than Transport Fever. For me what both games have is the building element though. I think Transport Fever is more of a puzzle game really. A very nice looking one, but still a puzzle game. Trying to get products, people and food to all the towns on a map. It can be fun. It can also be a headache. What always frustrated me with TF was that the trains just flip around at the end of the line. I bought Trainz back at Xmas. I didn't really buy it to drive trains. Just build routes. And I've built a couple of small ones now. The first time when I added the first session to the first route which made a loco automatically disconnect from its carriages, head down to a turntable, automatically turn the turntable around and then the train headed down a parallel track to some points and then reverse on to the other end I knew I would enjoy this. When it worked the first time but not the second I knew I would be spending half my time with this game on the forums looking for info lol.