classic British comedy: what would you like to see return?

ELRross
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

Re: classic British comedy: what would you like to see retur

Post by ELRross »

Warbo40 wrote:I used to love the Young Ones, also Bottom which both starred Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson. You may be right PFX as we were both a lot younger back then. A lot of the humour was very slapstick and basically aimed at the, how can i say it, younger viewers between the ages of 18 - 21. That kind of humour probably doesn't make us as adults of our age laugh so much now.

I liked a lot of the comedy shows starring either Rik and Ade or both back in the 1980s & 1990s which included the Dangerous Brothers, which was on Saturday live show, Comic Strip Presents & The New Statesman. I can always remember Rik's cameo role in the film An American Werewolf in London were he starred as a bloke in the pub "The Slaughtered Lamb" where he was playing a board game in a corner of the pub i think.
Along with the Young Ones and Bottom bring back Blackadder and Lord Flashheart, Rik Mayall just made the character legendary...
Warbo40
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TS2012 (SP1)/S&C
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 441222

Post by Warbo40 »

Just found out today one classic comedy making a come back on Dave on the 4th October is series 10 of Red Dwarf.
Work to live not live to work.
RedDragon
Past 100!
Trainz Version: All, TZ CE - TRS2019
Trainz Build: 113642
Author KUID: 1400

Post by RedDragon »

Warbo40 wrote:Just found out today one classic comedy making a come back on Dave on the 4th October is series 10 of Red Dwarf.
Sorry to say it, but i never found that funny. ;)

RD.
fizzywizzy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2009

Post by fizzywizzy »

Definitely Allo, Allo :lol:
Hope epic97
Past 250!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2010
Trainz Build: 44653
Author KUID: 450814

Post by Hope epic97 »

Has to be Blackadder for me.
Thanks for looking, Willow.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Warbo40 wrote:Just found out today one classic comedy making a come back on Dave on the 4th October is series 10 of Red Dwarf.
I'm not sure whether or not to watch. Latter series of Red Dwarf had really lost their sparkle in my humble opinion. I still think the best episode was the one in which they visited the 'backwards' planet.
patrickalanbooth
Past 100!

Post by patrickalanbooth »

From seeing the trailers on youtube series 10 seems to have rekindled the feel of series 3, i think it will be good and better than back to earth as it took me a while to work it out, Red dwarf isn't a laugh a minuet like blackadder but its funny and always makes you smile which is why i like it.

I think the next to bring back would ideally be spitting image as i think many sketches could be made like David Cameron with nick clegg as a butler, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and George bush trying to get back into power, jimmy car doing a song/rap on avoiding tax and the adventures of borris johnson would be a hit and they would make great puppets.

In the long term a return is due for Blackadder and the Brittas empire but blackadder would have to written carefully to compensate for the age of the actors like it would be a home guard platoon who due to shortages have to fly a Lancaster bomber for the RAF and as baldricks on board there bound to crash in germany then end up in a coldits type situation.

Brittas would be the same but it turns out that he isn't the farther of the receptionists children and the serise ends with the center closing down and linking in with the series 5 Christmas special.

thats what i think could fees-ably be returned to our screens but the young ones and other could be brought back.
thanks
Patrick
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Hopefully the Brittas Empire will never, ever be resurrected. It belongs firmly in a deep hole, along with numerous other sit 'coms'.

Not sure how well it translated for our Southern cousins, but I found Chewin' the Fat and Still Game among some of the funniest BBC comedy in recent years.
Last edited by PFX on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Just one too many repeats there PFX! :lol:
Past 500!
Trainz Version: 12, TANE
Trainz Build: 74702
Author KUID: 431172

Post by 73129 »

Everyone's forgotten something.....

Monty Python...
tommietomato2 on Auran forums
Retired moderator.
tjfrancis
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 4,6,9,10

Post by tjfrancis »

73129 wrote:Everyone's forgotten something.....

Monty Python...
I dont rember monty phthon but I have seen his show at the alxeander thenter in birmgham
I am dyslexic so please consider this when reading my posts
james73
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 114800
Author KUID: 69518

Post by james73 »

"Bottom" - which is coming back albeit the 'Hooligans Island' version, but it's better than nothing - such as
anything that's currently described as "comedy" on BBC3 or Ch4...

I loved the first 6 series of "Red Dwarf" but S7 and S8 were rubbish as were the 'Dave' versions last year due
to Rob Grants non-involvement, so I'm not holding out much hope for the new series that starts this week.

I loved "Rab C Nesbitt" back in the day but bringing it back after a 10-year gap was clearly a mistake.

Sad that TV comedy is so utterly shit nowadays. I blame Ricky Gervais. And that fat arsepiece James Corden.

James H
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

james73 wrote:Sad that TV comedy is so utterly shit nowadays. I blame Ricky Gervais. And that fat arsepiece James Corden.

James H
HEAR! HEAR! A follow through has more comedic value than Corden and the terminally flaccid Gervais.