John Terry

Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

John Terry

Post by Briggsy »

Just wondered what everyones opinions were on him retiring from international football and his FA inquest in general.

Do you think he's made the right decision? Should the FA take action even though he's been cleared in court?

As much as I don't like the guy and I think he's a prize plonker (being polite in my wording!) For some of his actions over the past few years, I think that if any player is faced with a court case, and cleared, then I don't feel that the FA should be able to continue with an inquest. If they've been found not guilty, then that decision should be applied to everything.

It would be a bit like the Police arresting you for burglary, going to court, cleared through lack of evidence, and then the Police saying "well, even though you were found not guilty, we still think you did it so we'll give you a £500 fine and you can stay in our cell for a month". It just wouldn't be allowed to happen.

Opinions?

Personally, I think his decision to retire from international football was a bit premature as he's still only 31 and has another 3-4 years in him perhaps - although I can understand why he's done it.

I have a feeling that he'll be found guilty by the FA and banned for a lengthy period.
Warbo40
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TS2012 (SP1)/S&C
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 441222

Re: John Terry

Post by Warbo40 »

Totally agree with you that the FA are wrong but i think there just doing him to make a point and have made themselves look complete idiots once again.

As for him playing a further 3-4 years no. I thought his performances, or lack of shall i say, in the last World cup merited him being dropped from the England set up anyway. He cost England at least 2 of the goals against Germany because he's to slow and he pushed to far up the field.
Work to live not live to work.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

Warbo40 wrote:As for him playing a further 3-4 years no. I thought his performances, or lack of shall i say, in the last World cup merited him being dropped from the England set up anyway. He cost England at least 2 of the goals against Germany because he's to slow and he pushed to far up the field.
I agree there. I've always thought Terry (and Ferdinand) are both massively over-rated anyway. Both are incredibly clumsy at times.

The point I meant really is that 31 is quite young to retire when there's 3 or 4 years left of your career where you could possible still be in contention for selection.
fudginator
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP4
Trainz Build: 105766

Post by fudginator »

I think after the Suarez/Evra thing and now this the FA are just trying to make out they give a damn, which in truth they don't. Black players get abuse most weeks from the terraces, especially in Europe but in all fairness nothing ever really gets done apart from the odd fine. If they start banning teams from certain competitions clubs would soon clean it up. As for players well that's a different story and a whole new can of worms. Is Anton just as guilty as Terry because he wound him up about his extra marital activities which provoked a response rightly or wrongly. End of the day football makes the headlines nearly every day either on the front page or the back and I cant see it changing any time soon, why?...........because there is way too much money involved!
Warbo40
Forum Veteran

Post by Warbo40 »

Rio Ferdinand called Ashley Cole a "Choc ice" on twitter and all he got was a £45k fine which is probably not even half of a weeks wage for him.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

If someone gave me £120,000 per week as a wage, i'd let them call me what the hell they like :D
fudginator
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP4
Trainz Build: 105766

Post by fudginator »

Warbo40 wrote:Rio Ferdinand called Ashley Cole a "Choc ice" on twitter and all he got was a £45k fine which is probably not even half of a weeks wage for him.
On a lighter note, pardon the pun. I'm not sure if most folks know, but when Midland Mainline ran trains to Manchester during the WCML upgrade, it was called the Rio project. Named after Mr Ferdinand himself in reference to his transfer from Leeds to Utd.
Warbo40
Forum Veteran

Post by Warbo40 »

Fine Terry £220k and ban him for 4 games for a racist remark but Rio gets away with a poultry £45k fine and no ban with a racist remark.

Now i'm not racist but isn't that totally double standards by the useless idiots at the FA. Plus England have lost a half decent centre back all for the sake of the FA's witch hunt.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

The FA have always been inconsistent. They're absolutely clueless. If Suarez got 8 games for racism last year, then surely that applies to all players that use racist language.

Also, Terry has been charged for saying those words. The FA's argument was that Terry didn't have to repeat those words - therefore, surely Anton Ferdinand should also be banned, because he allegedly said to Terry "Did you call me a .......", to which terry was supposed to have responded with "No, I never called you a .......". So If he's been charged just for using those words, then why hasn't Anton Ferdinand also been charged for using those words. Again, inconsistency.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I say that all professional footballers should take massive wage cuts, grow sideburns and/or moustaches, have longer hair and wear small shorts. That's the only way I can explain the superior sense of balance players had in the 70s and 80s along with their ability to walk away from tackles that would see players in the modern game, crying for hours.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Agreed there. Over paid and over rated these days, as for the FA, that needs a shake up, needs people who are there for the sport not the bunch of power crazed inconsistent loons we have at present.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I gave up watching football, which I used to thoroughly enjoy, when money and bad sportsmanship ruined the whole sport. Anyone who denies this is an issue forgets what the game used to be like or is too young to remember it. If you ever need a reminded of how football should be played, just catch one of the 'vintage' 70s or 80s games on cable or satellite on Saturday mornings. Magical.
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Author KUID: 222042

Post by blackwatch13 »

I couldn't give 2 figs for football, won't have it on my tele, it bores the pants off me, it's
a game played by over paid ballerinas who think they are 'Gods gift', but in reality aren't
worth a tenth of what they are paid.

But in the case of Terry, I think that once a British court of law has ruled someone 'Not Guilty', then
no other club, quango, association or body, has the right to decide otherwise.
I think Terry has been badly abused, that's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
ELRross
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

Post by ELRross »

Football has gotten extremely boring to me(used to be interesting when I was younger) as the thought of over rate and over paid footballers, who you know in your heart of hearts you could beat just by breathing on them extremely boring... However over the past couple of years it appears Terry has become something of a hate figure in the world of football, presumably lead by media stiring things up even more. Personally I would have imposed an 8 match ban on both players, the same as Suarez, to prove to every player and every fan that using such language is unacceptable... I thought Fifa had a campaign about say no to racism anyway? Where are they in all these cases?