The Music Thread

klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

The Music Thread

Post by klambert »

Following on from the birdy thread by tubeguy, I think we should have a general music thread about everyones tastes, what they're listening too and favourite bands and things.

Music is a serious interest of mine, I play bass guitar and I like to read music artist biographies and I hope to get into the pub rock circuit. I would say I mostly prefer older music as it's far less bland and generic sounding compared to todays offerings, stuff from the the days before they really become tough on cultural creativity. My problem with modern mainstream music is it's so predictable, you don't get massive guitar solos that come out of nowhere, or momentous organ solos anymore, I mean how does anything by Coldplay compare to the musical brilliance of Deep Purple.

I tend to have two favourite bands, the permanent favourite is the Stranglers, I love their first four albums, especially The Raven, this was before they went all boring and generic sounding.
I also have what I call phase favourites, these bands depend on what phase I'm going through; a few months ago I was going through a fourth wave ska phase, so Sonic Boom 6 were my favorites, at the moment I'm going through a Frank Zappa phase.
My favourite time to listen to music is when I'm creating content in gmax or route building, krautrock is best for that as it requires a similar mindset as used for route building.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
jack24
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2.6
Trainz Build: 3337

Re: The Music Thread

Post by jack24 »

Now this is a good idea! :) . I play an electric guitar and enjoy listening anything from Black Sabbath to Chas and Dave. My favourite band is Editors but I also enjoy Muse and Blur.
Jack24
The canary
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Sounds like some highly (musically) educated people around here :lol: :lol: :lol: Deep Purple, Black Sabbath..... ?

Don't forget of course, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Cinderella, Mettallica :lol: (and many others too.)

Mind you, like Jack24, my tastes go right across the board. You're just as likely to find me playing a Saint Sans Organ Symphony as a Sabbath album. I envy you fellers who have the talent to play an instrument. I can just about play a record... :(

Dave
Past 500!
Trainz Version: 12, TANE
Trainz Build: 74702
Author KUID: 431172

Post by 73129 »

I like kitten based music.

On topic, can't beat a bit of Queen.
tommietomato2 on Auran forums
Retired moderator.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's the expressions on the kittens faces that I love. Brilliant! :lol: :lol:

Dave

PS. Queen - excellent.
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Post by blackwatch13 »

My collection (still mostly on vinyl cos I started before cd's were invented) spans a wide range of
music, from Jimmy Nail to Jimmi Hendrix, mostly it's 'hard rock' or 'blues rock'.
You won't find any 'Rap' or 'House' music on my shelves tho', I absolutely detest those genres as
they (i.m.o.) have no musical qualities at all, they are just noises.
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

blackwatch13 wrote:My collection (still mostly on vinyl cos I started before cd's were invented) spans a wide range of
music, from Jimmy Nail to Jimmi Hendrix, mostly it's 'hard rock' or 'blues rock'.
You won't find any 'Rap' or 'House' music on my shelves tho', I absolutely detest those genres as
they (i.m.o.) have no musical qualities at all, they are just noises.
I collect records as well, there's nothing better than putting on some James Brown on the record player and partaking in some 'herbal smoking'.

I will admit I'm partial to a bit of NWA or Public Enemy when I'm in the mood, I don't mind rap if it is well done, and has some decent lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkaPNWrU8Gk
I really like Sonic Boom 6s version of Lets Push things fowards by The Streets, some very good lyrics about the stagnation of the music industry. The way Barney uses his voice in this is very unusual. If rap could sound British then this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmoC5cj8sw4
I really like NWA's cover of Express yourself, really is good well produced, excellent lyrics, these chaps are rather talented and believe me it does take talent to rap well. (Beware has swearing for the more prude members of the forum).

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I have to say I'm with Blackwatch on the "Rap" scenario. I really don't see anything musical about somebody chanting rhymes (and a lot of it just obscenities anyway.) I don't get House, Garage, Drum and Bass or any of that stuff either :? . Nothing musical there for me, I'm afraid.

I have to grudgingly confess though that there have been - in years gone by - one or two of these "Rap" things with some excellent base lines going on in the background (Was the "song" called Gangsta Rap or something like that?) Now if you could get one of them blokes to write something for a modern day English rock-band.... (is there such a thing as a modern day English rock band? Sadly, I don't think so. Oh well... :( )

Dave

PS. I still have a lot of the old rock stuff on vinyl from my "younger years" too.
danny109
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2009, 2019
Trainz Build: 46653
Author KUID: 554607

Post by danny109 »

Queen, The Who, lot's of retro stuff, Muse, and Haddaway are my favourites. Ilisten to lot's of music, but if I don't like it it goes in the bin.
Back in the Trainz saddle
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Rap? shouldn't that have a C in front?

Getting a bit long in the tooth now however.

Cream
Hendrix
Bob Dillon
Captain Beefheart
Free
The Who
Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Fairport Convention
Led Zepplin
Queen
The Pogues
Dia Straights
Ricky Scaggs
Dia Straights
Alison Crouse
And a lot of obscure Bluegrass stuff

Used to play in a Country Rock / Blugrass band thus the slight variation..........
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
jack24
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2.6
Trainz Build: 3337

Post by jack24 »

What about this:
Jack24
The canary
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Or how about this. One of the best blues/rock ballads of all time.

Dave
fudginator
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP4

Post by fudginator »

Hi All
A lot of heavy rock fans here, which I quite like myself. In saying that, no one has mentioned the great Micheal Schenker and his group, the most naturally gifted axeman of his generation.
Anyway I'm also a great fan of D&B which many will scoff at, but its more than just a beat. For instance, here is a track from Goldie, 21 mins of pure magic
http://youtu.be/Usqwy2-E4SE
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

cyberdonblue wrote:Or how about this. One of the best blues/rock ballads of all time.

Dave
Hmm I'm not too keen on that one, I much prefer Mandrake root by them or Child in Time, far quicker tempo and almost breaks down into pure noise.

Hows this for a surfin Bird version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgQAlh8DuM

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Not a huge fan of old rock myself but I make an exception for Motorhead and Budgie, Motorhead still being the loudest band I've ever seen.

Among my favourite bands would be The Mission, NoMeansNo, The Cult, early Metallica (up to the black album), U2 (up to and including Rattle & Hum, everything since has been tosh), Claytown Troupe, Wire, Therapy, The Divine Comedy. I also like a lot of classical (except baroque or Vivaldi), 'lounge/chill' and electro house.