Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Bescot Depot

Post by Briggsy »

End of an era..... :(

EDIT: Apologies for the photo size. It's linked from a website so i'm unable to resize it.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Bescot Depot

Post by Nexusdj »

Progress they reckon , sad to see it go . I've got a lot of memories tied up in that building , mostly good :cry:
To be replaced with a twin track Anderson shelter on steroids , similar to the one they've just built at Doncaster .

One memory that sticks is watching the roller doors come up after they've started a class 31 that had been on engine repairs , out comes this solid wall of greyish white acrid smoke followed by fitters with tears running down their faces .
Spent many an hour up there on the shed ferry turn or waiting for loco's to be fuelled or to come off exams .

Here's 66048 on Bescot shed before it went off to Scotland and its ill fated skiing trip

High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Glen1974
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12 SP1
Trainz Build: 58414
Author KUID: 381093

Post by Glen1974 »

Yeh so sad, had many good times spotting around the depot as a kid, then visiting there as an employee...
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Same here. Used to spend a lot of weekends there as a teenager during my spotting years in the 90's.

Sad to see it go - although not a huge surprised. It's looked dead every time I've driven (crawled) past there on the M6 over the last couple of years. I guess the end was nigh once they lost their allocation of locos.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

It's so sad how things change sometimes - and not always for the better. I watched that area slowly start to change many years ago.

Firstly before I left the Midlands, I saw the way Wednesbury Yard was run down - both upper and lower levels (all part of that Midland Metro cobblers now of course.) The Round Oak Steel works and the link across to Tipton on the B'ham Wolves mainline all faded into history before the short stretch of line from Bescot Yard to Wednesbury finally bit the dust. The latter part occurred whilst I was in London and came as such a shock to me upon my return. Then, Anglesea Sidings to Lichfield City vanished and the writing was on the wall for pretty much everything else around there from then on. So that end of Bescot depot itself has done well to remain fairly unscathed for this long. The sidings were badly butchered bit by bit over the years, though many claimed the place was a white elephant from the day it opened. However, that was said by a generation before mine and was a claim often made as rival railwaymen argued about which depot was superior to which.

I was always in a hurry to get away from Bescot and, unlike you Dave (Nexusdj), I was never that fond of the place (although I had some good friends there and some good memories of the place.) Nevertheless, it is very sad to see a place so full of memories just torn apart and bulldozed out of existence. I'm not sure I like so called progress anymore - or is it just that I'm getting old(er)?

Dave :(