Model Railways and Repainting

SurreyB4Class
New Starter
Trainz Version: 2009
Trainz Build: 44653

Model Railways and Repainting

Post by SurreyB4Class »

Figured it makes sense to put this in Off-topic.

I plan to build a model railway in my garden shed sometime this year, and with the exception of some of the more expensive locomotives I wanted to have a nice livery on them (blue, specifically).

I'm trying to experiment on one of those Hornby 0-4-0 starter steam engines but it's not gone too well. The paint kinda leaked onto the wheels. I tried removing the body from the chassis, but I can't seem to get the screws to budge.

So I guess my overall questions are;
Does anyone have any tips for repainting and/or modifying locomotives on a 00 scale?
Dannypenguin
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2006, TS2009 SP4
Author KUID: 73387

Re: Model Railways and Repainting

Post by Dannypenguin »

I've never attempted painting loco's as I know if my other skills are to judge by they'd be...unrecognisable...!

If I were however, I would detach the body from the chassis before attempting anything, masking any windows or parts you want to stay the same colour and then spray it over. I wouldn't reccommend brushes.

There are also multiple articles in the modelling press and on the internet to help guide you.

Hope that helps :D
Dan W
aka Dannypenguin

"Who says I can't derail my train there?"
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

The first question would be whether or not you airbrushed it or used a standard brush? The only time I'd take a brush to a loco is to apply some dry-brushed weathering effects, even then, still better to airbrush.

Best thing to do if you're going to start repainting locos is to remove the body from the chassis. How they come apart varies. Often there are clips as well as a screw or two. Keeping the body on is always going to make things more difficult, not to mention having paint runs onto other parts of the loco :?

It's been years since I last indulged in any of that sort of thing but there are some really great instructional videos on Youtube that take you through the processes from basic to advanced, not to mentions modelling websites where you will probably get better info.
SurreyB4Class
New Starter

Post by SurreyB4Class »

That's the thing, I tried removing the body from the starter loco, but for some reason I just couldn't get it off. I tried pulling it off, to no avail, and I tried undoing the screws on the bottom of the chassis (which wouldn't come off, but I suspect those are for the motor).

Then again, I need a new chassis for it anyway since the rear coupling broke off some time ago and due to it being a 'starter' loco, the couplings are built-into the chassis.

If I can get the thing off, I intend to clean up the bottom of the wheel, and then put the body in for a nice, long soak of paint remover, get it primed, and then start it over.

On the plus side, my next attempt will be a De-thomasifying a TTTE loco which I HAVE been able to remove the body of. Not sure what I'll do about the face to turn it into a smokebox, mind.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

May be a screw inside the chimney, seem to remember at least one loco body being fixed to the chassis by that method a long time ago in the past.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
SurreyB4Class
New Starter

Post by SurreyB4Class »

If it is then I'm screwed (ha ha) because I doubt there's a screwdriver thin enough in my house with the right end.