The 'Other Sim'

klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Re: The 'Other Sim'

Post by klambert »

PFX wrote:Yes. It's 'Dayta' not 'Daata'. When the hell did everyone switch to 'Daata'? I resolutely refuse to use US pronunciations. :)
I hate how everyone has now adopted the use of the word movie, instead of film.

Getting back to the subject of the 'other sim' before this thread goes wildly off course. I've stopped using it, although the driving experience is generally far superior, I got tired of how I was getting less and less for my money with every addon.

It won't be long before you buy something like a Class 377, but you have to pay £20 seperately for each carriage.
Last edited by klambert on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Just a polite reminder, can we try and keep this thread on topic please.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Very diplomatically put!

Reading elsewhere the TSW beta seems to be getting about 50% for and 50% against, probably best to wait and see what the finished sim is like before getting too excited. ;)

Which I suspect some of those who jumped in head first to TMR17 are now wishing they had done.

Seems to me when it comes to Railway Simulators some expectations, due to the hype you get from all game producers, are way higher than what is realistic to expect and as is usual many have no idea what a proper beta really is.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Post by Itareus »

clam1952 wrote:Very diplomatically put!

Reading elsewhere the TSW beta seems to be getting about 50% for and 50% against, probably best to wait and see what the finished sim is like before getting too excited. ;)

Which I suspect some of those who jumped in head first to TMR17 are now wishing they had done.

Seems to me when it comes to Railway Simulators some expectations, due to the hype you get from all game producers, are way higher than what is realistic to expect and as is usual many have no idea what a proper beta really is.
I agree, very diplomatically put. These forums are no a place to express any personal view on such positions, the British Trainz forum has been a very civilised and well mannered placed to discuss Trainz related matters irrespective of creed, colour , religion or race and long should it so remain.

Regards to all members.

Chris M
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

If anyone wishes to obtain a bit of extra content, TS2016 is currently part of a Humble Bundle, which you can pick up for $1 (along with two other games) until 7pm tonight. It will add all the DLC from the full edition of that game (Sherman Hill, Cologne-Koblenz, Riviera Line...) to your steam library.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

klambert wrote:Getting back to the subject of the 'other sim' before this thread goes wildly off course. I've stopped using it, although the driving experience is generally far superior, I got tired of how I was getting less and less for my money with every addon.

It won't be long before you buy something like a Class 377, but you have to pay £20 seperately for each carriage.
I don't use TANE at all for driving as I find it such a disappointingly unrealistic experience. The Other Sim wins this one for me but probably also helps that most of the cabs are very well reproduced. I am still a very long way from covering all the scenarios too so much for me still to drive and I only buy DLC during the sales.

I agree with you on value for money, some of the offerings are very light on scenarios or features.

From what I read online, it looks like TSW is suffering from some of the same issues we encountered with TANE being released far too early though I suppose it is a beta. Not that I'm making excuses and I'm not prepared to jump in at this time. US content doesn't particularly appeal to me.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

In my opinion, the "other sim" has always been more polished as far as graphics, sound and driving experience go - but Trainz wins in every other aspect.

Trainz is just so much more user friendly. Building a route and re-skinning in Trainz is simple - whereas on the other sim, everything seems to be a right ballache.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

They've extended the trial by 2 days and released an update to try and cure some of the CTD's .

As for me I've still not flicked those circuit breakers as I've not run the Sim since my previous post ! I honestly haven't felt like running it , If it had been a British route with British trains then I'd have probably been all over it like a rash , but instead I've been having my rail sim fix from route building in good old TS12 ;)
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

For anyone interested I notice that Humble Bundle are offering a heavily discounted bundle for the base game of Train Sim plus a number of DLC (there are three from price bands £1-10 with differing amounts): https://www.humblebundle.com/games/trai ... ard-bundle

I know some will call it heretical advertising the 'Other Sim' but others may appreciate the heads-up with the cost of living crisis. ;)
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

Other sim is better graphics wise and realism wise. but trainz has better scenario creation. Track Markers and Repeat anyone?
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

For me, it's portals and the ability to set up a schedule and have multiple trains follow it. Sure, there are portals in the other sim, but they're basically just a hidden pocket track to store trains out of the way until they're needed, rather than actually generating them, since you have to set up every single service manually still.

I do agree though that the driving aspect of the other sim is so many orders of magnitude better that it doesn't even compare. A 377 should not handle like a mile long American freight train! In that respect, with its excellent creation tools, I'd say Trainz is definitely a virtual model railway rather than a train simulator. They both occupy different markets.
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Given that scripting is being improved in Trainz Plus and N3V have employed a couple of people to sort it out plus the CRG are also working on bad scripts things may well be changing.

Most Engine specs are reused and not appropriate, content creators are rarely also good scripters or creators of engine specs, much of the rolling stock uses a default espec or is too heavy or too light.

Better Graphics in the other SIm? not from some of the screenshots I've seen there is equally good and bad in both.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

clam1952 wrote:Better Graphics in the other SIm? not from some of the screenshots I've seen there is equally good and bad in both.
To be fair, this is a really old post that has been bumped and the graphics references go back to 2016.

The graphics in the latest version of Trainz, along with the previous version, see huge improvements in the graphics compared to all previous versions.