The 'Other Sim' 
 Post subject: Re: The 'Other Sim'
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:21 pm 
Past 750!

Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563
PFX wrote:
Yes. It's 'Dayta' not 'Daata'. When the hell did everyone switch to 'Daata'? I resolutely refuse to use US pronunciations. :)

I hate how everyone has now adopted the use of the word movie, instead of film.

Getting back to the subject of the 'other sim' before this thread goes wildly off course. I've stopped using it, although the driving experience is generally far superior, I got tired of how I was getting less and less for my money with every addon.

It won't be long before you buy something like a Class 377, but you have to pay £20 seperately for each carriage.

Gaily into Ruislip Gardens, Runs the red electric train,
With a thousand Ta's and Pardon's, Daintily alights Elaine.

Last edited by klambert on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 pm 
SOTM Moderator

Trainz Version: 06,09,12,T:ANE
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 485742
Just a polite reminder, can we try and keep this thread on topic please.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:07 pm 
Forum Veteran

Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 84356
Author KUID: 425700
Very diplomatically put!

Reading elsewhere the TSW beta seems to be getting about 50% for and 50% against, probably best to wait and see what the finished sim is like before getting too excited. ;)

Which I suspect some of those who jumped in head first to TMR17 are now wishing they had done.

Seems to me when it comes to Railway Simulators some expectations, due to the hype you get from all game producers, are way higher than what is realistic to expect and as is usual many have no idea what a proper beta really is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:15 pm 
Past 250!

Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828
clam1952 wrote:
Very diplomatically put!

Reading elsewhere the TSW beta seems to be getting about 50% for and 50% against, probably best to wait and see what the finished sim is like before getting too excited. ;)

Which I suspect some of those who jumped in head first to TMR17 are now wishing they had done.

Seems to me when it comes to Railway Simulators some expectations, due to the hype you get from all game producers, are way higher than what is realistic to expect and as is usual many have no idea what a proper beta really is.

I agree, very diplomatically put. These forums are no a place to express any personal view on such positions, the British Trainz forum has been a very civilised and well mannered placed to discuss Trainz related matters irrespective of creed, colour , religion or race and long should it so remain.

Regards to all members.

Chris M

http://itareustrainz.weebly.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:08 pm 
SOTM Moderator

Trainz Version: 06,09,12,T:ANE
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 485742
If anyone wishes to obtain a bit of extra content, TS2016 is currently part of a Humble Bundle, which you can pick up for $1 (along with two other games) until 7pm tonight. It will add all the DLC from the full edition of that game (Sherman Hill, Cologne-Koblenz, Riviera Line...) to your steam library.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:16 pm 
Forum Veteran

Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 78667
Author KUID: 0
klambert wrote:
Getting back to the subject of the 'other sim' before this thread goes wildly off course. I've stopped using it, although the driving experience is generally far superior, I got tired of how I was getting less and less for my money with every addon.

It won't be long before you buy something like a Class 377, but you have to pay £20 seperately for each carriage.

I don't use TANE at all for driving as I find it such a disappointingly unrealistic experience. The Other Sim wins this one for me but probably also helps that most of the cabs are very well reproduced. I am still a very long way from covering all the scenarios too so much for me still to drive and I only buy DLC during the sales.

I agree with you on value for money, some of the offerings are very light on scenarios or features.

From what I read online, it looks like TSW is suffering from some of the same issues we encountered with TANE being released far too early though I suppose it is a beta. Not that I'm making excuses and I'm not prepared to jump in at this time. US content doesn't particularly appeal to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:27 pm 
Forum Veteran

Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 80349
Author KUID: 630773
In my opinion, the "other sim" has always been more polished as far as graphics, sound and driving experience go - but Trainz wins in every other aspect.

Trainz is just so much more user friendly. Building a route and re-skinning in Trainz is simple - whereas on the other sim, everything seems to be a right ballache.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:51 pm 
Forum Veteran

Trainz Version: TS12 & TANE
Trainz Build: 80330
Author KUID: 45317
They've extended the trial by 2 days and released an update to try and cure some of the CTD's .

As for me I've still not flicked those circuit breakers as I've not run the Sim since my previous post ! I honestly haven't felt like running it , If it had been a British route with British trains then I'd have probably been all over it like a rash , but instead I've been having my rail sim fix from route building in good old TS12 ;)