The 'Other Sim'

PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

The 'Other Sim'

Post by PFX »

I know mention of the Other Sim on the NV3 forum causes all sorts of frothing and gnashing of teeth but I'm hoping people here are of a more rational nature. I don't want an argument, just thoughts from anyone else who uses both sims.

I saw the latest video of the alpha version of Rail Simulator's TSW and I have to say initially, it looks amazing. Vehicle detail wise, TANE doesn't come close. Almost all the controls are operable, to the point it's more or less like starting up a real GM (the only loco I've seen) from the fuses and master switch, to the fuel primer to starting. The decider for me would depend very much on the physics and AI but if they get that right, it'll set a very high benchmark.

I very much doubt much thought has been given to the route creation side so TANE will still be the leader in that regard and of course, DLC. Everybody hates DLC but if the quality is there, I'd certainly pay for it.

I'm not advocating TSW over TANE as I use both TANE and TS16 currently and they both have their own pros and cons so don't think I'm bashing TANE, I'm definitely not. I'm just impressed at what Dovetail has produced so far.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: The 'Other Sim'

Post by clam1952 »

Looks good but haven't we been there before?
Very easy to produce a video that gives an impression, not so easy to actually implement it properly, something we have some experience of I believe ;o)
I'd hang fire until they have actually released something, think the 10 or 12 day only Beta is about to appear. In fact I won't be doing anything as long as it remains on Steam only and if it's anything like TS17 which is a 32GB download! I couldn't even if I wanted to on a 15GB cap! Most I can get and I'd have to change Mobile Providers is 30GB.
ADSL is no go here.
According to those that allegedly know, DTG are being a bit evasive on questions relating to Content creating, Route building and if there is actually going to be more than one US route in it or any UK Content as it is not backwards compatible. Lot of scepticism from some RW fans and some could be wrong assumptions as there usually is with Anything N3V do.
They seem to think DTG will be using fbx as it's Unreal Based however they ain't said anything yet which would make me a bit cautious, this is Dovetail who are not known for making things easy!

Malc - ever a sceptic.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

The TSW Beta is just downloading via steam and its 2.4GB in size . I may or may not test it tonight as I'm working on a Trainz route .

I've watched a video on youtube and even in HD the graphics dont look as shiny as the ones in the DTG pre release video's ,To me they look more duller like the current experience with TS2017 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRyQVnJRoU
Last edited by Nexusdj on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Be interested to hear what you think of it nexus. No rush on that count of course.

I understand your scepticism Malc. Yes, we've been there with TANE I'd say but it does look pretty much like it set out to, albeit without the soft focus of the initial demo. All I'm interested in is whether or not it is likely to set as high a standard as the alpha demo claims or will it fail to deliver. Certainly if there is no British content it's not going to hold much draw for me.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Well curiosity got the better of me so I ran the program , Starts up okay , I can set up or select a player profile , Then onto the loading screen which goes about 45-60 seconds then ..... "FATAL ERROR" and a crash to desktop !!

Tried rebooting my computer , verifying the program files via steam but its still the same . About 20+ posts from users on the steam forum reporting the same problem over the last hour or so .

Good job it was a free trial :lol:

Back to good old Trainz for now :D
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Haha.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

Seems to be getting a bit of flack on the Steam forums, lots of complaining v a couple of it works posts, does sound more like an alpha than a Beta to my way of thinking. Sounds like they have a lot of work to get it ready in 2 months, I remain sceptical. Think maybe DTG have set a too ambitious Target to soon? Again we know a company like that. ;)

I like the comment from one user who was walking around and kept getting stuck under the track? Mind boggling lol
Cheers

Malc

Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Followed a suggestion on the steam forums to delete a dll file " VICO DYNAMICS DLL" and it worked !

I've done the initial tutorial , walked about and drove the loco for part of a session . The additional interaction with the loco and the ability to walk about was great but I wouldn't say it was jaw dropping . The american loco has a restricted field of view compared to most UK loco's and I constantly felt the need to crane my neck (virtually) when traversing left handed curves as the loco is right hand drive , But as far as I'm currently aware there is no way to do that unless you put your head out the side window (which opens) .
As for the route well I can sum that up in two words .... Pine trees ... as in lots of em !! :lol:
Its weird as the trees look eerily like the built in ones in TANE , with the separate leaves and tree trunks that look grey with big grooves in them . I think they are possibly speed trees which probably explains the similarity ?

More to discover I suppose but honestly I think 12 days will be more than sufficient .
Though one thing i definitely want to do is toggle all the circuit breakers in the cupboard on the loco to see what happens , I alway wanted to do that on a real 66 but I knew I'd probably break it :lol:
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

It will be SpeedTrees as UE4 uses SpeedTrees and UDK comes with the SpeedTree modeller and compiler.
Cheers

Malc

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Nexusdj wrote:Though one thing i definitely want to do is toggle all the circuit breakers in the cupboard on the loco to see what happens , I alway wanted to do that on a real 66 but I knew I'd probably break it :lol:
Thought never occurred to me on the 141. I wouldn't be very popular if I broke it though as there are only 2 other left operational!
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

To be fair, this super realism concept of being able to walk around and play with everything isn't new. I think it was first seen on Subway Simulator.

One thing I'm slightly disappointed with is that Dovetail games being a British company, I thought would have tried this concept out on something of a more British outline.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

As with most of these things, money is their god and America is a much bigger market obviously.

Unfortunately, British tradition and individuality is being swallowed wholesale by language and styles from across the pond. In 10 years time this country will 50% muslim state and 50% American state. The only British people left will be a handful of pensioners reminiscing about the old days. I believe they call it progress :roll:

Dave
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

cyberdonblue wrote:As with most of these things, money is their god and America is a much bigger market obviously.

Unfortunately, British tradition and individuality is being swallowed wholesale by language and styles from across the pond. In 10 years time this country will 50% muslim state and 50% American state. The only British people left will be a handful of pensioners reminiscing about the old days. I believe they call it progress :roll:

Dave
I hate to be one of 'those' people, apparently only 4.5% of the population is muslim (according to the 2011 census).

Bu I agree with you on this appropriation of American culture we have going on over here. I really despise the amount of American programs we have on television.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Yes. It's 'Dayta' not 'Daata'. When the hell did everyone switch to 'Daata'? I resolutely refuse to use US pronunciations. :)
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Post by blackwatch13 »

klambert wrote:
I hate to be one of 'those' people, apparently only 4.5% of the population is muslim (according to the 2011 census).
That census is over 5 years old, have you not seen the news? immigration has risen very sharply since then.

Our experiences may be different, but where I am, if you walk down the high street, you will hear more people speaking a foreign tongue than you will hear speaking English.
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess