Stagecoach Introduces "Beddy - Bus" Scheme

McKenname
New Starter
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61297

Stagecoach Introduces "Beddy - Bus" Scheme

Post by McKenname »

Me myself being a "Buspotter", I thought that some of you may find it interesting to know that Stagecoach (Megabus.com) have started competition with the Railway sleeper. Journeys take approx' 8 hours departing nightly from Glasgow (11:00pm) and London (12:00pm) with one service per night. The buses that operate the service are ex Stagecoach Western and are Volvo B10MA Jonkcheere Bodied "Mistral/Modulo" Articulated Coaches. The buses were recently converted at the Plaxton works with Beds in the front section of the coach and seats in the "Trailer". These were also fitted with toilets during the customization. I was Lucky enough to be able to snap 2 of them at Glasgow Blochairn Depot yesterday afternoon. Here is my photo : http://www.flickr.com/photos/stinkerurban/6228191400/. There is also another one currently being converted under the registration of "T640 KCS".

I think that is probably enough ranting on for now. Cheers, Paul :)
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Re: Stagecoach Introduces "Beddy - Bus" Scheme

Post by Itareus »

More information if you are interested:

http://www.dundeebuses.info/Megabus_Sle ... er2011.pdf

I liked this part "People have found the bunks to be very comfortable and had no difficulty sleeping. In fact one of the biggest problems the crews have faced is getting people to wake up at the destination. On one occasion the driver thought he’d checked all the bunks but found he had a piece of luggage left. Another inspection of the vehicle revealed a passenger still fast asleep in the bunk!"

Overcarried on a bus ? !
welsh37/5
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 40183
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 264963

Post by welsh37/5 »

Interesting scheme that stagecoach has started up in order to compete with the railways, its certainly got to be better than trying to get some kip on a Plaxton panther B12b as it negotiates the various bends late at night. My last long trip on one had the opposite effect on me, I couldn't get to sleep. If you try to lie across one of the rear seats (bad idea if you are over 5ft 8 like me) the seats try to cut into your chest and you end up getting tossed about as it approaches the bends.

That said, going for a back seat was a bad idea. Both coach companies and railway operators have tried to compete for years, It will be interesting to note how sucessful stagecoaches Beddy bus scheme works considering many of their town and city bus operating divisions are suffering cutbacks although that has not been helped with a number of incidents with some cases of mechanical negligence leading to in some cases rather dramatic failures.
ELRross
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

Post by ELRross »

Sleeper buses HELLFIRE! Could someone English Electic engine them? Can't see it being too popular though, seeing as First Scotrail already do a sleeper into Glasgow and isn't constrianed by the motorways and roads.