Railworks Vs Trainz (Custom rolling stock)

WessexElectricNutter
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 74539
Author KUID: 30051

Railworks Vs Trainz (Custom rolling stock)

Post by WessexElectricNutter »

For my own personal interest, I thought I'll try this, for those that ever wondered what is the comparasion between the 2 simulators, when you make your own stock, wonder no more, this is the same object with almost the same modifications (save the interior on the KRS model which has had a minor mod implimented) and some specific exporting criteria between the 2 (materials and textures), here is how they look:

Trainz (ignore the trailers for the time being)

Railworks. (Ignore the massive size, I'll fix that before I put anything upto it.)

3D Studio Max (minus texture baking).

As for implimentation, Trainz is by far, much, much easier to create in, as there's lots of things you can do in Trainz that you can't do in Railworks (although vice versa is also true - just that the Railworks tools are "too powerful" and complex than needed be, Trainz I think has the right balance.)
Notice the glossinesss, Trainz requires a separately referenced texture that everyone steals from the default objects (envmap.tga or envmap-orange.bmp) whereas Railworks has this enviroment map built in and the program replaces a "dummy" texture with this enviroment map. (Which is referenced by a specific shader, code that tells the graphics card what to draw.)