Importing TRS2004 content into TS12

pauljscott2003
Milepost 1

Importing TRS2004 content into TS12

Post by pauljscott2003 »

Good Afternoon,

I have recently bought TS12 (Steam download) via an online discount and have not touched Trainz since my TRS2004 days (been with Railworks inbetween). I couldn't resist the offer of TS12 at such a low price so I took the plunge, in the hope that I may be able to get some of my archived TRS2004 content working on it.

I am new to the Content Manager and as I used to use Trainz Downloader Pro on TRS2004 I can see that the Content Manager will more or less do the same job. I am also getting my head around the fact that TS12 content is stored within a database, rather than folders of KUIDs in TRS2004.

I would like some advice please, on moving content from my TRS2004 archive (I have about 20Gb of content). I am happy with using Content Manager to import my TRS2004 content but is it worth doing it that way, in case I completely screw up my installation due to the amount of errors the older content may produce?

I have found one of harcourt's excellent UK routes on the DLS via Content Manager, and have downloaded it, but am now sat waiting for the extra KUIDs to download, when actually I have this exact same route in my TRS2004 partition, along with all the extra content it requires.

I know some content may have been updated in the meantime, but would appreciate the advice from someone who may have done this.

I used to use TrainzObjectz a lot too, to make sure all my content was error free at the time, is that compatible with Win7 and TS12?

Many thanks indeed for any guidance or advice given.

Regards
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Importing TRS2004 content into TS12

Post by Mightyena »

Hi,
To import your content, just open Content manager, and go to file --> import content and point it at your TRS2004 installation's Local folder. It should then import all your content, although some of it might need fixing before it'll work properly in TS12. If so, it will come up with a red exclamation mark, and right clicking on it --> view error and warnings will tell you what's wrong.

Also, I believe TrainzObjectz was only for TRS2004 and won't work in the newer versions, because Content manager replaced most of its functionality.

Hope that helps,
James :)
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

A lot of 2004 stuff will have been fixed so even if after importing it's faulty there may well be updates, so worth getting all the updates first before diving in and fixing things. Warnings you can for the moment mostly ignore.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
pauljscott2003
Milepost 1

Post by pauljscott2003 »

Many thanks for the advice, I will make a start in importing all my old content, and updating any that have been updated prior to next running TS12.

Best Regards