That annoying "Updating Trainz Database Asset" box

rackwick
New Starter
Trainz Version: Trainz 12
Trainz Build: 47452

That annoying "Updating Trainz Database Asset" box

Post by rackwick »

I think this question may have been asked before somewhere. I looked but could not find it:

Could someone please explain advise me:

Why almost every time I start TS12 now, when the splash screen comes up, does that stupid box called "Updating Trainz Asset Database" - (scanning for deleted asset files)" keep appearing. It is most extremely annoying!!!

Especially so when I have not deleted any files, routes or anything all. Nor have I been anywhere near Surveyor or Content Manager. Nor has the internet been switched on for the last 3 days. The only activity has been in Driver running trains in UMR-TS12-Winter (experiencing that nice seasonal atmosphere).

As I write this it has just taken about half an hour to complete "scanning" and the main screen has just come up. Its really very inconvenient. I can imagine some people being pushed for time for whatever reason and not having half an hour to spare. They would very displeased indeed.

If this is some automatic thing coded into the software all I can say is its pretty badly done. It would be better allowing the updating of the database entirely manually at the user's own convenience. It seems fairly primitive that the user has absolutely no control over this.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: That annoying "Updating Trainz Database Asset" box

Post by clam1952 »

Caused by turning off your PC before TadDaemon has closed, there are hundreds of posts on the N3V forums about this by the way.

1. Launcher
2. Options
3. Developer
4. Tick display database process Windows

Do not turn off PC until TadDaemon and Trainzutil have both gone from the taskbar.

Explanation, TadDaemon deletes temporary and cached stuff after closing Trainz, if it isn't allowed to finish you will get repairing database on every launch.

Looks like your build is well out of date as the time taken by TadDaemon was dramatically reduced in 49922 upwards on an unpatched install it can take 5 to 10 minutes.

47452 is the just Trains version and should have autopatched to 48054 then you need a manual patch to 48249 and another to 49922 and then the SP1 patches. Quite a few have stopped at 49922 as SP1 has a few issues that some don't like.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Warbo40
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TS2012 (SP1)/S&C
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 441222

Post by Warbo40 »

Yes, i found out about this some months back after i'd installed SP1 to TS12 and i haven't really had a major problem since.
Work to live not live to work.
rackwick
New Starter
Trainz Version: Trainz 12
Trainz Build: 47452

Post by rackwick »

Thanks for the clear explanation above. I followed the instructions given and started TS12. This time no box. I've got it now. Thanks for that.

Yeah I am rather behind the times with the build. As I mentioned in a previous post I am a bit reluctant to update at all as I am not confident in case it somehow disrupts the entire program. There seems to be no categoric assurance that this wont happen. Sure it might fix a few issues but for me its not critical and I prefer not to tinker too much and enjoy what I already have.