alexfleming380
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 622162

Freeze on startup

Post by alexfleming380 »

Hi all.
Today I have experienced a new problem with my installation of TS12. When I start trainz, I get to the main menu (The bit with Routes, Railyard, Saved sessions, content updates etc..) and when I click on any of the sections, Trainz becomes non-responsive and the only resolution is to close the program via task manager.
Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a case of a QDR or something more in-depth?

Thanks,
Alex.
Please, call me Alex.
Formerly known as afleming97
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Freeze on startup

Post by clam1952 »

First thing to check is that TadDaemon and Trainz util are not validating, if they are no point in launching driver or surveyor until it's finished.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
alexfleming380
Past 500!

Post by alexfleming380 »

Right, how would I go about doing that. Is it done with Task Manager?
Please, call me Alex.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

Launcher > Options > Developer > tick Show Database process windows. That puts TadDaemon and TrainzUtil when it's running on the task bar, click on them and they open in a Dos box and you can see what they are up to. If in Trainz full screen just drop to desktop to look. alt + tab.
Cheers

Malc

Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

I have this problem intermittently too, and I would like to find out how to fix it for good. I often find that if I go away and leave it for 10-15 minutes it often comes back by itself, but this is hardly ideal...

Incidentally when this happens my Trainzutil window is not running and Taddaemon just says:

Code: Select all

0:27:9 : TADDownloadStation::Idle> Failed download of 'http://'. Retrying in 2 minutes.
James M, creator of the
network
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

I have a problem in that CMP will lockup completely if I leave the thumbnail viewer open whilst browsing via the download station tag . It will usually last about 2 or 3 items then it locks up . CTRL+ALT+DEL gets me out but its 50/50 whether Taddaemon will close down successfully .

Have you got the thumbnail viewer on when it locks up ?
Note though that viewing the thumbnails of content that's already installed causes no problems .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
alexfleming380
Past 500!

Post by alexfleming380 »

Thanks for that Clam, I'm letting it do its thing now. Once it's finished i'll post again if anything untoward comes up.

Thanks again
Alex
Please, call me Alex.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Nexusdj wrote:I have a problem in that CMP will lockup completely if I leave the thumbnail viewer open whilst browsing via the download station tag . It will usually last about 2 or 3 items then it locks up . CTRL+ALT+DEL gets me out but its 50/50 whether Taddaemon will close down successfully .

Have you got the thumbnail viewer on when it locks up ?
Note though that viewing the thumbnails of content that's already installed causes no problems .
No, my lockup takes place within trainz itself, CMP works fine for me with or without the thumbnail viewer. My lockup happens just after I click on the "routes" tile on the main screen of Trainz, the list of routes appears, but no routes are displayed. Clicking or pressing any keys results in the standard windows "Trainz.exe is not responding" dialog box, but just waiting for 10 minutes or so causes it to magically 'remember' what it was doing and loads the list of routes. There is no disk/cpu activity during this time, and RAM usage is around 550MB.
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

Another cause of freezes is a hard disk or controller problem, worth checking in event viewer for any warnings or errors relating to HD or HD controller. Last time it happened to me it was a poorly fitting SATA connector causing the problem, so doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad drive.
Cheers

Malc

Gltagaman
New Starter
Trainz Version: 2012
Trainz Build: 49222
Author KUID: 0

Post by Gltagaman »

I'm not sure if I am in the right area for my question but here goes. After some years I tried to update my TS12 as there was a message that my Build Content was out of date. I eventually found Hotfix 4 that said I could update from 49222 to 63188. The download took 4 hours and the installation 3 particularly with the message 'Deleting assets'. When I start from the Main Menu and go to 'Resume existing session' I get a screen with a picture of a Driver, a rectangular box with L and R arrows. When I return to the Main Menu a message appears 'Display HTMLPagesLib:Thread exception:ER_Exception,Line 826. On clicking this more lines on the same theme appear. This is quite meaningless to me. Perhaps I need to reinstall the software. I do not however wish to loose the purchased addons Please give me something to rectify the problem. I have tried to use TrainzPortal but go round in circles. Perhaps as a pensioner I am missing something.
G.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

May just need a Quick Database repair or possibly missing an update.
If the problem is with a script, deleting the contents of the Userdata\Cache\Libraries\ often sorts it out.
Cheers

Malc

Gltagaman
New Starter

Post by Gltagaman »

Thanks Clam 1952.

I deleted the directory 'Libraries' under Cache as you suggested. This has not cured the problem. I have read earlier in this topic that the Database can be repaired. How can I do this.
Thanks
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

In Content Manager, File > Quick Database repair, usually that's enough to fix any problems, Extended repair only needed really if the Quick one doesn't work.
Cheers

Malc

Gltagaman
New Starter

Post by Gltagaman »

Thanks Clam1952, I'll try that.
Gltagaman
New Starter

Post by Gltagaman »

I have found 'Quick Database Repair' in Content manager and applied it. My TS12 now starts up and I have managed to drive on the ECML route.

I have a few problems on Product, as my purchased updates seem to have disappeared except from the Product list in 'Configure Trainz' but will look further on the forums in case others have had the same problem.
Again Thank You clam 1952.