Very bad stuttering in TS12 SP1...

Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Very bad stuttering in TS12 SP1...

Post by Mightyena »

Hi guys and gals, I have a bit of an issue with my installation of TS12 SP1, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to solve it:

I recently decided to upgrade from TS12 build 49922 to SP1 build 61388, in ordser to be able to use some great routes like Duchy Days and the Central London Line.

I created a whole new installation (from the CD) for this purpose, and patched it up, however I am unable to actually run any routes as the whole thing is rendered unuseable by lag/stuttering. For most routes if you leave it for a few minutes, it will calm down and start displaying a constant 30fps, however as soon as you move the view, it goes back down to 3-4fps and becomes incredibly jerky (as long as the viewpoint is moving. If I stop moving, it goes back up to a smooth 30fps after a few seconds). I've tried playing with the settings and resolution to no effect, and have even reinstalled several times (and upgraded my perfectly functional 49922 install) and none of this has fixed the issue. I also notice that if I turn quickly enough, everything behind me aside from the track suddenly (well, over the next 2-3 seconds) 'pops' into existence. This also never happened with pre-SP1 TS12.

I doubt its an issue with my hardware not being up to the task, since TS12 without SP1 runs smooth as butter, but I'll put the specs of the PC I'm trying this on up anyway:

Intel Pentium G645 2.9GHz (Sandy Bridge) CPU
12GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB GPU
1TB Hitachi HDD (Trainz installation, the OS is on a separate drive)
Corsair VX550 PSU
Running on a 1280x1024 monitor (but issue still exists if i switch down to 1024x768)

(Temps are fine, the max CPU temperature was 58C, and the GPU max was 53C)

Another -more minor, but no less annoying- issue is the fact that the keyboard shortcuts from the surveyor tabs don't work (it will refuse to change from 'add' to 'rotate', no matter how hard I mash the 'R' key...). This has also persisted through re-installs, and is incredibly frustrating. Other keyboard shortcuts, like 'Esc' and 'Ctrl+W' work fine...

If anyone can shed some light on this issue, I would be very grateful, since at the moment I'm missing out on some great SP1-only routes because of this annoying inablility to upgrade... (you'd think that after 4 years they'd manage to create an update that doesn't break what was once a perfectly functional game... :roll: )

Many thanks,
James
James M, creator of the
network
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Re: Very bad stuttering in TS12 SP1...

Post by klambert »

I found this was a problem that with perseverance would solve itself eventually. I know it sounds strange but sometimes an extended data base repair solves these things.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Chris Bergman advised against doing Extended database repairs unless the game was totally screwed up, it can create more problems with settings and such.
His advice was only run a quick database repair, I'm adding to that followed by a defrag if on a mechanical drive.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Thanks, I'll try running a QDR and defragging, and let you know if it fixes anything.
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hi, I tried running a QDR and defragging, and it made no difference...
James M, creator of the
network
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Try changing the display setting from open GL to Direct X or vice a versa ?
Try shortening the draw distance ?
or
On your graphics card settings set up a separate application setting for TS12 and then set all the Anti aliasing modes etc. to "Use application settings" ?

Is there any built-in content that's flagged faulty ?
Is there any third party content that you use in your routes flagged faulty now compared to before the upgrade ?
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hmm, switching to DirectX mode from OpenGL seems to have fixed it, although DirectX causes everything with an alpha to become about 50% transparent, which is why I use OpenGL (DirectX gives me higher framerates but renders bilboard trees and many hedge splines unuseable). Is there any way this could be fixed in OpenGL, or will I have to just live with transparent trees?

In response to your other questions:

Changing draw distance/any other settings does nothing. It still stutters in OpenGL with every slider set to minimum.

No built-in content flagged faulty

923 items are faulty in 61388. A great deal of content suddenly became faulty with the error:

Code: Select all

Error: The tag 'image' in '0' points to a nonexistent file:
after the update. Most of these seem to have something to do with the preview images, but they are not faulty in build 49922
James M, creator of the
network
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

They are missing the thumbnail pic , It's a red error in TANE . Asset checking got a whole lot tighter in SP4 and TANE takes no prisoners :lol:

See through tree problem : Try Clams billboard bushes and trees , they work fine in TS12 :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!