TS12 freezing due to TrainzUtil

Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

TS12 freezing due to TrainzUtil

Post by Mightyena »

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a problem in that my copy of TS12 seems to have picked up some sort of degenerative disease...

It started with ludicrously long loading screens - When opening a session (but not editing the route directly), Trainz freezes on the loading screen for anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes. This has been happening since day 1 though, so I just go off and have lunch or something while it loads.

Recently though I've started getting stutters and freezes in surveyor. Every now and then (a few times an hour) surveyor will freeze, the HDD light goes solid for a few seconds and I get the spinning cursor of doom for a couple of minutes, before Trainz suddenly carries on like nothing happened. Driver was unaffected, just surveyor.
On inspection, it turns out whenever it freezes like this, Trainzutil is doing... something. I'm not sure what, as the window closes too quickly to read, but several Trainzutil windows will open and close in rapid succession until it keeps going again.

In the past couple of days, the problem has gotten even worse. It now happens in Driver as well as surveyor, and the freezes are every couple of minutes. It also now takes over a minute (of spinny cursor) to save route or session.

I'm not sure what exactly TS12 is doing in he background, but hopefully it can be stopped, because at the moment it's completely unusable. I've tried a database repair (both quick and extended), but all that did was mark 8000 assets as faulty... :roll:

I was beginning to think it might be the drive failing, but the SSD tests good, and T:ANE, which is installed to the same partition, does not have this issue.

For completeness, this is the machine I'm running on:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K @4GHz
RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866
GPU - EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD (2 partitions, OS on C:\, Trainz on D:\)
3TB WD Blue HDD
ASUS Z97-AR Motherboard
Seasonic M12II 620W PSU
Windows 7 Professional

Can anyone shed a light on what's going on here, or more importantly how to stop it? Mynext step is to try re-installing TS12, but dealing with all the installed content is a real pain (that and I'll have to go looking for an external DVD drive)

Thanks for any help!
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: TS12 freezing due to TrainzUtil

Post by clam1952 »

Wait for Trainz Util to finish as in all Trainzutil windows have closed, however long it takes, otherwise you will get this every time you try to use TS12.
Suggest if that doesn't stop it, delete the contents of Userdata\cache\internet and reboot. probably full of part downloaded cdp's
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Shippy2013
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61383

Post by Shippy2013 »

I too have been hit by this although not as bad as it appears to have effected you. However I have found that if I turn my WiFi off when I’m in Surveyor or Driver and have no connection to the DLS the problem doesn’t happen. I figured it maybe something to do with updates or something occurring while you are in the game.....
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

clam1952 wrote:Wait for Trainz Util to finish as in all Trainzutil windows have closed, however long it takes, otherwise you will get this every time you try to use TS12.
Suggest if that doesn't stop it, delete the contents of Userdata\cache\internet and reboot. probably full of part downloaded cdp's
If you mean after closing Trainz, I do wait for all windows to disappear, and then give it a few minutes before shutting down to be safe.

If you mean in game when it strikes, if I leave Trainz alone for a while they eventually go away, but start up again as soon as I start moving around the map again.

I'll try deleting the cache and see if that helps
Shippy2013 wrote:I too have been hit by this although not as bad as it appears to have effected you. However I have found that if I turn my WiFi off when I’m in Surveyor or Driver and have no connection to the DLS the problem doesn’t happen. I figured it maybe something to do with updates or something occurring while you are in the game.....
I'm on ethernet rather than Wi-Fi, but I'll take a look at running offline
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Just an update for those wondering, deleting the contents of Userdata\cache\internet seems to have solved the constant freezes, thanks!

It still takes 9 minutes to open a session, and 2-3 minutes to save, but I can live with that since once it loads it's nice and smooth again
James M, creator of the
network