T:ANE SP 2

macneil
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2010

sp2

Post by macneil »

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to TANE sp2 and is it worth it or is it A game killer.

Cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Re: sp2

Post by greeni »

I have upgraded so far so good but I, Don't use it as much as I used too.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Fine here nothing major wrong with it and it's better than SP1 IMO for what it's worth.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

I've been having a problem with the whole thing locking up. The only way out is Ctrl-Alt-Del. Not sure that it's SP2 causing it though, still investigating.

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I installed it last night. I can't say I've noticed any difference and certainly no improvements over SP1.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

I have 3 installs of TANE :
Clean one for trying out routes and new content before uploading (dependency checks)
UK & Ireland content
Europe + rest of world

Did the clean install first and it flew through the install and DBR .
Europe + rest of world , Given the content (440,000 +) the install time was the same but the DBR lasted 4459 seconds or 1 hr 15 !
I left the UK until last (has all my custom content) . This install has 407,000+ items of content and substantially less errors than the Europe version yet took the longest to run the initial DBR , I didn't note the seconds but it was almost 2 hours !!

The good news on the DBR front is that so far subsequent DBR's have taken mere minutes rather than hours .

I also found initial runs on routes which contain a lot of scenery to be jerky in places , Subsequent DBR's seem to have mostly sorted it out .

Problems experienced :

I've experienced 2 crashes to desktop so far when trying to exit a driver session . Most of the time its been fine but I've seen similar reports on the Auran forum.

CMP :seems to go on a go slow from time to time . I was trying to select multiple items last night to download and after highlighting a few items it took ages for it to highlight the next one and so on , eventually it just stopped and I had to terminate CMP . A restart of CMP and the problem had gone .

CMP : When clicking the "content" button it takes a couple of seconds for the pop up list to appear , This happens every time and on all 3 installs .
It's annoying as I like to check an items thumbnail before downloading , That way I can usually filter out the sketchup items !!

Listing dependencies of an item also seems to take a ridiculously long time to populate the list with the wait circle doing its dance on the screen .

In Game : I've been experiencing random problems with 2009 build track disappearing completely in the distance or random LOD sections vanishing then reappearing as you move around in surveyor and driver ! At first I thought it was my NEX track and that either I'd set the config up wrong or they've moved the goal posts again , But I've noticed the same random problem with Samplaire's 2009 build track in another route . I seem to remember a similar problem with the old pre 2009 track in an earlier Trainz version ?

Sound seems slightly better , I'm experiencing trains passing me now with multiple bogie sounds and I'm hearing all of them instead of the odd one dropping out .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

T:ANE SP 2

Post by cyberdonblue »

UPDATE: Following several DBRs and (more importantly) a graphics card driver update, most of these problems have now disappeared. Sadly, the flickering is still occurring, but only intermittently, and happily it longer seems to be terminal. I'm following a post on the Auran thread with interest re: flickering. I'll leave this post in situ for the time being though in case anyone else has similar problems and is looking for some sort of guidance.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: Sadly, I was wrong. The flickering problem is still terminal. It just seems to take a little while longer to take hold.

I've been trying to get my head back into building my WIP after all the heat and humidity of recent days but I've had some wierd and wonderful things happening with SP 2. First off, these superb bridges and embankments by davidbird went haywire on me. (Fortunately a DBR has now cured that particular problem)

Once that was cured, I started to find that my route was showing "Missing Dependencies" in CM and a wierd flickering has started happening on my route within minutes of trying to start work. This will start to occur immediately if I move any great distance in Surveyor, otherwise it's, as I said, within a few minutes of starting work. If I ignore the problem, T:ANE locks up completely and the only way out is Ctrl-Alt-Del.

This morning, I opened my WIP and just left it. I never touched a thing, just to see what would happen. After exactly 3 minutes the flickering started. After a further 5 minutes it got progressively worse and the bright sunlight of T:ANE vanished into the gloominess of Britain on a bad day (see picture below.) At this point, the whole thing locked up. (Notice the thick black line at the top left of the picture. This is part of the flickering effect.) Once everything is "locked up," the flickering ceases.

The missing dependencies one is frustrating too because all of the items, without exception, are built in. They are missing a DLS upload date and so won't allow any attempt to re-download them as a way of trying to cure THAT particular problem. Are they part of the overall problem or is this just an irritating little side salad?

The flickering, however, was something that I had experienced in some of the early test versions of T:ANE many moons back (but not the lock ups,) so I thought I would start a test route just to see if the problem was in T:ANE itself or maybe find out that it was something that was happening only in my own WIP because of a particular asset that I'd decided to use and SP 2 doesn't like it.

Sadly, the problem is just as evident in the bare test route.

As you can see, it's just a simple route with some Protrack F and some platforms (FMA UK platform w5 halfside and FMA UK platform w10-10 12d.) I have, however, stumbled across a work around. Everytime the flickering starts SAVE. Don't ask me how or why this works but this action alone staves off a crash/lockup and it seems to work everytime.

I've also encountered something I've never seen before. When opening the test route a box appears saying "The following assets have unsubmitted edits. Do you wish to submit these changes before opening Surveyor? I then have the choice of "Use changes", "Revert Changes" or "Cancel." This happens from time to time on the test route, but not my WIP.

Has anyone else had any similar problems or have any idea what might be behind my particular problems? It's so frustrating having to continually save your work every 5 to 10 minutes and it's really knocking the heart and soul out of me and my desire to finish my route.

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Having now had more of a chance to evaluate SP2, the one thing that really stands out is the graphics. Ran a couple of lengthy trains at the same time on the Midshire route and I was really impressed how smoothly everything ran, even with both trains on screen simultaneously. Not even a slight stutter.

On the downside, I'm seeing some odd results when scrolling through textures. An image appears then is replaced by the sample texture. Not a massive downer for me but mildly annoying when scrolling up and down through textures.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Re: T:ANE SP 2

Post by Mightyena »

I had weird flickering and lines not unlike the one in your screenshot appearing on several of my routes, when I upgraded from TS12. It turned out to be a scenery item (in my case a person) that just didn't play nice with T:ANE. In the end it ended up being fixed by SP1. Although that doesn't really sound like your problem, since my copy never crashed and new/blank routes didn't display the problem.

Hope you get it fixed soon though!
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

Try the extended Database repair, may take a long time, instructions here as you have to run it from Trainzutil after enabling developer options.

https://support.trainzportal.com/index. ... ase-repair.
Cheers

Malc

pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

my problem is the new save system sometimes it does not overwrite but makes a route with the same name
a good thing lots of old routes work again now though but my WCML route has corrupted......
shaneturner12
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE CE
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 234888

Post by shaneturner12 »

I would advise caution with SP2 at the moment as there's a few posts cropping up on the N3V forums regarding old bugs reappearing. Not sure what's happened yet (and I've already patched).

Shane
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

clam1952 wrote:Try the extended Database repair, may take a long time, instructions here as you have to run it from Trainzutil after enabling developer options.
Thanks Malc, extended DBR underway as I type.

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

One annoying bug that's appeared is Surveyor is not returning to the last position you were working in!
However, I have found a sort of work round, Open surveyor, move to were you want it to open, then close TANE as in Exit Game without saving down to the Launcher, restart TANE and surveyor and it will open in the right place, need to do this every time you get stuck with it opening in the wrong place!

I'm assuming we will be getting some form of hotfix for these things that seem to have gone wrong since the Final Release version that some of us tested!

Text boxes as in say when naming an asset on a route are not in focus you need to delete the text and type it in.
Saved session from SP1 probably won't work however I've had that on every version of Trainz that's been patched.

Can't help thinking that it was a rather small patch for a service pack and they left something out!

Other than that it seems to be more or less ok here
Cheers

Malc

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Yeah, I've got that same problem too, Malc. It's very annoying because, whilst the extended DBR appears to have fixed the lock ups, the flashing continues but only once I have moved from the original starting point in Surveyor. If I open a route and leave it, all is fine, the second I move...; but it's pretty pointless not being able to move, isn't it?

I need to spend more time checking this out properly but my time will be limited somewhat today and tomorrow. I should get some time this afternoon/evening but tomorrow I'll be out all day. I'll keep persevering though.

Cheers

Dave