Odd effect with tunnel portals

PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Odd effect with tunnel portals

Post by PFX »

I'm not quite sure how to explain this, so hopefully it makes sense?

Sometimes when placing tunnel portals (AJS ones), the ground appears as it should, with a dighole for the tunnel bore however, when the ground level tool is used, it seems to jump way above the actual ground level below it, almost as if it was already on the higher ground the tunnel is going through. When this happens, often the tunnel portals rise above the actual ground level too.

In this first image, you can see the smoothing tool appears as it should, matching the ground level it is on.

This second image shows the issue I'm having and you can see the smoothing tool is way above the ground level in the foreground and the tunnel portals are all over the show.

Is this a known issue and if so, is there a way to fix it beyond levelling the whole area and placing the tunnel portals and dig holes again? So far, it's the only way I've found to fix it.

Cheers,
Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Odd effect with tunnel portals

Post by cyberdonblue »

I always use Dave's (nexusdj) tunnel assets, Innis, but I have had exactly the same issue many, many times. The only way round it I've found is to scrap the tunnel and start again - but place the tunnel portal a bit further forwards from the dig-hole. You can actually grab hold of the red X under the dig hole and sort of lower it's presence down (and raise it too if you want.) Hard to explain really, but it's merely opening another can of worms and it can be a nightmare on its own. The whole thing is totally unsatisfactory really.

Good luck with it.

Dave ;)

Edit: I think the problem is that, unlike track or roads etc, no matter what height you set the tunnel portal to it moves as soon as you alter the ground height. If the portal could be made to stay where you initially set it then that would be half the battle won at least. ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I've tried starting from scratch a few times now, using different dig holes to see if that was the problem. Everything looked fine but as soon as I went off the board and came back to it, I got this delight. Would it by any chance be the actual portals themselves that are causing the issue? I don't seem to recall the original AJS round portals doing this but I may be wrong.

Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Digholes are a pain in the Harris in TANE on anything but a flat surface and even then they have there moments . N3V changed the makeup of the Baseboard internal coding and it looks like digholes where an afterthought !

Easiest way to cure that would be to drop the ground level down to track level for a distance of 10 metres behind the tunnel portals , place the digholes there and then cover over the missing ground above the tunnels with a ground spline , trees , bushes etc.
Just make sure the tunnel portals are not over any part of the digholes .

I've been for a ride along Duchy days this afternoon and the same problem is affecting most of the tunnel mouths on the route .
Thankfully the track remains at the same level to ride over but the tunnel mouth itself is raised up by a few metres .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

And when will N3V address this age old problem? Don't hold your breath... :(

(Railroad 2019 is coming! It'll fix everything and bring about world peace all at the same time! :shock: )

Dave ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a shot and see if it cures it. As you can probably tell, I'm just outside Gluaston Central. :)

Other Dave, I'm not sure if I should expect anything from TRS19 or not. Yes, N3V are making it look prettier every time but they're ignoring some fundamentals on the driveability side of things. Anyway, I'm not going to get into an N3V bashing thread. Plenty of that on the other forum. :cry:

***EDIT***

Dave, you're suggestion appears to work. The ground still rises but it's far enough beyond the portal not to lift it. Thanks.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

If as I do with my NG tunnels you make the portals as trackside assets with a floor if needed! they stay firmly anchored to the track, add suitable terrain big enough to cover the digholes problem solved.

Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...Other Dave, I'm not sure if I should expect anything from TRS19 or not. Yes, N3V are making it look prettier every time but they're ignoring some fundamentals on the driveability side of things. Anyway, I'm not going to get into an N3V bashing thread. Plenty of that on the other forum. :cry: ...
Sorry fellers. I don't want to start an N3V bashing theme here either. It's just me I'm feeling extremely sore about the mysterious sh*te that has plagued me in T:ANE for a few days so just ignore me. :( When I get my mojo back I'll be fine... honest :|

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Interesting, I had that problem when I first imported my old TS12 routes into T:ANE, but installing SP1 seemed to fix it (or at least calm down whichever gremlins are responsible). Sounds like N3V have undone whatever it was they did in the process of updating...
James M, creator of the
network
uktrainzfan
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: T:ANE SP2
Trainz Build: 90945

Post by uktrainzfan »

This problem has been around since TANE was introduced. It is caused by the dig holes themselves. The ground a couple of grid squares to the SW (from memory) will collapse to the level of the dig hole and cause objects and spline points to sink as well. The fix is to alter the height of the dighole to match the ground. A certain amount of fiddling with the dighole height is required to get the tunnel portal's height to remain fixed.