Fantastic route/map there Mightyena
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Drodditch Line

Post by Mightyena »

Thank you! I've been doing a little bit more clearing up, and deleted about 5 baseboards at the end with the main terminus station (Fimbar Town), and decided to start again.

They're extremely WIP at the moment, but I've more or less got the trackwork sorted out now:

I reckon I'm going to have to get rid of the animated junctions, as half of them derail trains when they pass over them :?
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hi all, just another quick update:

I've done some more scenery work, and added the beginnings of a small short-stop branch that comes off the Fimbar Mainline. A map is included for convenience.

Apologies for my handwriting! The thick lines are the trackwork that's already in place, with the Fimbar Mainline running along the top (between the 2 arrows). Gives an idea of how much I've got left to do :shock:

A view over the rooftops of the Cufflington area of the city of Fimbar:

Some goings on around Cufflington:

James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Just a little update again:

A class 151 terminates at the redesigned Tatton. The bay platforms were added as part of the redesign:

The 151 itself is one of Hayden Trains' newly refitted 151/2s intended for use on mainline services:

And a class 170 leaves Tatton for Birchfield. The OHLE is so the Drodditch Line class 478 EMUs can get to Keogh Park depot, which, due to space constraints is situated on the diesel Birchfield - Fimbar line:

And Debb's Cross station, which sits alongside the now electrified Debb's Cross carriage sidings, and the entrance to the new Keogh Park Traincare Depot:

James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hi all, I've been doing some detailing around Fimbar:

Fimbar Town now has canopies and signage:

And the next station along, Fimbar Broad Street, takes shape:

What do you think so far? I'm trying to make it more inner-city like. Any suggestions?
James M, creator of the
network
PacerNut
Past 100!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2010
Trainz Build: 49933
Author KUID: 502908

Post by PacerNut »

Looking excellent, James!

Couple of things I'd suggest:

Perhaps place platform lights on the platforms. I often use a long sign and put "Welcome to x" :)
Bit of vegetation between the running lines on those first three images. (I think the CL Bush range would work well there!)
Perhaps a fence along the back end of the platform in the first image to stop the drunkies falling behind the buffers.
The 'NSE Clock' asset would look fantastic hanging from the canopy and it shows the real game time :) (and it's red!)

Also, I have a couple of questions:

Which stations are you using? I've been using Scottish's DMT versions and they are great on straight lines but damn fiddly on curves to line the tracks up right.
And, I notice the station is elevated...do you create the whole station on the ground first and then raise it up bit at a time, or start with the retaining walls and build 'on top' of them?

Keep up the great work, look forward to seeing more progress!

Jack
Formerly JackClare

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/JackC ... 0Screenies

http://hasthanowtmoist.blogspot.co.uk/

At what point does a leaflet, become a pamphlet?
glbotu
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2004,2010,2012
Author KUID: 181246

Post by glbotu »

@Mightyena - What's the subway entrance asset you've used, it looks good and there aren't enough modern era ones around (cue 90 thread responses with different assets).

@PacerNut - For elevated stations I've always either: built on the ground level (even with the retaining walls) then raised the lot, or built on the ground, fixed all the spline heights and then lowered the ground - which works well if its valley-like rather than viaduct type construction.. Trainz is a lot easier to work with on the ground as you can see all the spline circles
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

@pacernut Thank you! I'll look into the vegetation, and the platform lights and destination boards etc will be added in due course. There is also a big "Welcome to Fimbar Town" sign up on platform 4, it's just out of shot ;)

In response to your questions, I don't actually passenger-enable my stations, as nothing kills the realism more than seeing a train come to a stop just outside, then crawl into the platform at 8mph! The stations are just built with TMZ/Nexus' platform edge and surface splines, as they allow for more realistic curves on platforms.

My stations are built by raising the ground height to the height of the viaduct, building the station, fixing the spline heights and then lowering the ground again. I find it works quite well

@glbotu the subway entrances are called "SAM Platform Exit 4.6m x 6.1m CONCRETE TS" by samplaire, which is on the DLS. There is also a wide range of styles available (e.g. metal panels, bars and concrete)
James M, creator of the
network
PacerNut
Past 100!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2010
Trainz Build: 49933
Author KUID: 502908

Post by PacerNut »

Ooh very nice!

As for passenger-enabled stations, thank you for clearing that up for me! I find that adding a trackmark 20m beyond the stopping point at a station makes a train decelerate on approach in a much more realistic manner. This also enables you to define stopping positions on trains of varying lengths, for example stopping a two-car train by the entrance and so that a HST will stop with the engine hanging off the end of a platform for a bit more realism. You can then use a door control command on the correct side to open and close the doors respectively :)

However, this method doesn't define how long the doors will stay open for, which is the good thing about non-passenger enabled stations, as you can use a door control button and it makes it a lot more realistic especially at major stations where doors can stay open for quite a while. So, I may have to give that a go, and make a station without passenger enabling!

Also cheers for the tips on the building of raised stations, to you and to glbotu! I'm also just downloading some of them SAM Platform Exit assets ;)

Keep up the great work, James! Love your progress! :drool:

Jack
Formerly JackClare

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/JackC ... 0Screenies

http://hasthanowtmoist.blogspot.co.uk/

At what point does a leaflet, become a pamphlet?
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hi all, some updates:

First off, I've created a new map!
Fimbar Lines Map(lineguide).png
Secondly, I've been upgrading some of the areas around Fimbar. Namely, Harmon Road (Renamed from Harmann Road) and Andrews Hill (renamed from Adam's Hill):

Andrews Hill (still very WIP):

Harmon Road (mostly finished):

Enjoy! :D and opinions and suggestions are always welcome!
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Birchfield, split into the high level Drodditch Line platforms, and the low level Hartlington Line platforms...

Low Level:

High Level:

James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Re: Hayden Trains - Fimbar Lines

Post by Mightyena »

Another quick update from the Fimbar Lines - I've been revamping some of the stations on the Drodditch Line, as they were some of my earliest creations and not really up to scratch:

Melbridge:

Tristanwood:

James M, creator of the
network