ATLS crossing triggers

Post your links to useful Trainz resources here.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

ATLS crossing triggers

Post by PFX »

See later post for corrected info.
Last edited by PFX on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_T
R.I.P
Trainz Version: TS2009
Trainz Build: 41844

Re: ATLS crossing triggers

Post by Joe_T »

I just done a spead sheet table with that calculation on it would people like me to upload it to the forum?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Those are standard timings which only apply to the US (As stated in the 2nd post) , Things are a lot different over here !

7 seconds is way too tight , Auto half barriers are 32 or more seconds after strike in to arrival , dependant on line speed .
Other crossings that include interlocking with signalling are significantly more , sometimes as much as 5 minutes to ensure an approaching express train doesn't experience a more restrictive aspect on it's approach .

Late running trains cost money in delay payments , late running road users cost the railway nothing ;)
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Pedant! ; )

The 7 seconds or so is fine for me. As long as the barriers aren't still closing as the train is about to hit the crossing. What do you use for the likes of Midline?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

"Pedant" You're right but given I had rules and regulations thrust at me at every turn of my former job I prefer to do things right from day 1 . Sadly with most simulators we have to cut some corners when compared to the rules and regs of the 12" to the foot version as the Sim doesn't support certain features but we do have control over some things and it's better to get these right ;)

Midshire : Only one crossings was interlocked with a signal (branch to quarry) but I'm not sure if still works in TS12 . The others where placed to allow the barriers to actuate and been down in time to allow green signal approaches on the mainlines had they been interlocked (not slows or loops) . The small loop on the 2 track section being an exception as I had to place the trigger at the exit to the loop . The exit from the slow line in the opposite direction was also a problem as trains could be held there so no good placing a trigger at line speed distance , I had to place it after the exit signal but that was way too close to the crossing at 40mph , so I put in that temporary speed restriction to keep the AI from beating the barriers ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

The interlocking is where having gates shut for 30s sort of falls down. I take it it isn't possible to set this up as per prototype?

I've sometimes found myself having to be a bit inventive with triggers when it comes to certain track layouts. It's useful that they have priority settings though as this does allow seperate triggers for express, commuter and freight consists which is how I usually apply the priorities.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

There are some 2 , 3 and 4 aspects signals made by Boat (listed under SEN City) that can be set up to interact with his ATLS crossings . The signal (S) protecting the crossing remain at red until the barriers are down . You still need to set up the ATLS triggers to make sure the barriers are down in time to allow a train to pass without restriction but at least it's a step in the right direction .
The signals themselves look great but they don't interact with Bloodnok's signalling boards so they can't show his Feathers or Theatre indictors .
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Nexus, after your previous post I thought it would be useful to provide a more accurate version of the trigger table (which is where you'll probably say you have one already ;) ). These figures should mean the gates are shut for around 35 seconds prior to a train arriving at a crossing. This takes account of a gate closing time of approximately 13 seconds.
alexfleming380
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 622162

Post by alexfleming380 »

For those of you who work better on metrics, here's that list converted to metres: :D
Please, call me Alex.
Formerly known as afleming97
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

You young whippersnappers! You saved me the bother but by way of explanation, I made my table for using on UK routes, which would be measured in imperial. I am however, fluent in metric too. ; )

By the way, is the speed meant to be in kph?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Many thanks for the updated distance charts .

A combo chart of MPH speed and Metres distance would be handy , obviously a route setup in imperial (i.e. UK) in the sim measures in feet and inches but I prefer to build in metres (Then swap back to use) since it's the standard Trainz measurement in Gmax for splines etc.
alexfleming380
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 622162

Post by alexfleming380 »

PFX wrote: By the way, is the speed meant to be in kph?
It isn't in kph. I've kept the speeds in mph because all i've done is swap the distance in feet with the corresponding distance in metres.
Please, call me Alex.
Formerly known as afleming97