Trying Trainz again...

New members please feel free to introduce yourself to everyone.
RichB
New Starter
Trainz Version: 2012

Trying Trainz again...

Post by RichB »

Hi.

I wanted to try and build a local layout from Wolverhampton to Stourbridge via Wombourn. I see that someone else is doing this, but I wanted a Trainz project and to try and use a terrain builder etc. I am going to give it a shot now my computer is a little more stable than it was.

Anyhow, I might have the odd question about Gmax (Trainz Content Creation) and how to export into Trainz. Do people know if this works with Trainz 2010? Also, should I be doing this in Trainz 2012?

Richard
alexfleming380
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 622162

Re: Trying Trainz again...

Post by alexfleming380 »

Hi Richard, and welcome aboard the forums!

Gmax does work with 2010 provided you have the trainz asset creation studio add-on. If I find the link I'll post it for you. You can build the route in any version of trainz you want, but realistically id recommend anything 2009 onwards simply because there's more content available and you can still upload to the download station.
Please, call me Alex.
Formerly known as afleming97
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Post by Itareus »

Hi Richard,

Are you just learning to use GMAX ? If so you might be better to go for Blender 2.6x (also free) instead. GMAX is no longer supported, i.e. if it stops working it won't be fixed, Blender is actively supported, in fact it's still undergoing more development and has a large user base.

For terrain building, especially for prototype lines, a very good tool is TransDEM (Trainz Edition) it is payware - about £20 but well worth it, you can download UK source data (terrain elevation info) from the Ordnance Survey free.

I can post some links if you want.

I would use Trainz 12 if your computer will take it - post your computer specs if you would like opinions on suitability.

And welcome to the Forums !

Chris
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

If you are going to use Gmax which works up to Windows 8, you really need to use the 3ds Max 4 / 5 specular exporters to replace the ones in the TACs add on, Personally I find blender totally unusable, being used to 3ds Max and Gmax which I had used long before I found Trainz and which I still use for easy stuff. There is also 3dCrafter which people seem to forget about, which has a Trainz exporter builtin, it's payware but cheap, I have that as well and it's straight forward enough.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Post by Itareus »

clam1952 wrote:...Personally I find blender totally unusable, being used to 3ds Max and Gmax...
Just out of curiosity Malc which version of Blender did you try? The interface changed massively from 2.5. onwards.

You are correct re 3dCrafter, I had forgotten that ! Might be worth giving it a try if you are starting from scratch Richard, but I fear that Trainz specific help for 3dCrafter might be hard to find.

Chris.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Itareus wrote:
Just out of curiosity Malc which version of Blender did you try? The interface changed massively from 2.5. onwards.

You are correct re 3dCrafter, I had forgotten that ! Might be worth giving it a try if you are starting from scratch Richard, but I fear that Trainz specific help for 3dCrafter might be hard to find.

Chris.
Latest one I looked at was 2.6, first one I ever tried was when it was still a Linux application and that was dreadful, however Maya produced a Linux learning edition of Maya as did Bryce so I used them and Gmax using Wine..... Used to do a bit of game stuff last century still got a half finished game somewhere in my collection of backup stuff. Anyway as I have Max 10, it's not likely to be an issue if Gmax exploded tomorrow. ;)

As you said there isn't a lot of info on 3dCrafter and Trainz, it's a case of play with it and see what happens, most of the Railworks and MSTS info applies anyway then just export to Trainz.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/