TS12 SP1 crashing (again)

PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

TS12 SP1 crashing (again)

Post by PFX »

Hello again Trainz technicians.

My TS12 SP1 is crashing persistently. CM works fine but if I try to edit any routes, Trainz crashes. It doesn't even get as far as showing the route. I've tried the EDR to no avail and no errors are showing on the routes I'm attemting to open.

I'm open to ideas...

Thanks,
Innis
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: TS12 SP1 crashing (again)

Post by clam1952 »

From WindWalker EDR's are not recommended as can cause other problems with Updates and the DLS, only need to do a QDR for TS12 SP1.

If it keeps crashing check both copies of Jetlog.txt, probably give you a clue as to what's causing it.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

TS12 confuddles me once again. Today, everything is working as normal. I should have tried the old IS helpdesk staple of 'turn it off and back on again'!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Re: TS12 SP1 crashing in surveyor

Post by PFX »

I have a new problem which is preventing me doing anything at all.

On all my routes, if I try to open the scenery tab in surveyor, Trainz crashes. I can do anything else I want but add scenery. I've tried cloning my route, cleared out the sessions, attempted to add scenery to other routes and it crashes every time.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Have you added anything recently from the DLS or third party which is faulty ?
Is there anything now marked up faulty in CMP that was okay last time you used TS12 ?
Is there anything left open for edit in CMP ?
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Only the usual yellow warnings, and nothing faulty on the route according to CMP. I have six faulty items on this installation and none of them recent or on the route, likewise for items open for edit.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Any builtins that are showing as modified? In which case revert to original.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

No built-ins coming up as modified either.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Still have this issue and as yet, no response from the Helpdesk (I'm guessing TS12 won't matter until TANE is out?).

If I reinstall Trainz in the same folder, will it delete everything or will all the work I've done remain in the folders? Until I get this resolved, I'm on Railworks full time.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

I've never tried it that way as you run the possibility of losing all your additional data in the user data files .

In the past as a last resort I've renamed the TS12 main folder to "Original DO NOT DELETE"
Create a new TS12 file and copy over most of the files from the "do not delete" folder except for the "Local" and "Original" folders in User data.
I then add in new empty local and original folders in user data to complete the file structure in the new TS12 folder .
I've then uninstall it in the usual way . (Your original broken TS12 install should be nice and safe in its folder) .

Once its been removed I do a nice clean install and update it with service packs (unless you can get the fully updated version from simulator central) .
Check that it's working then you have 2 options :
1. point CMP at your saved local folder and install content (Could take a long time if you have lots of custom / extra content) .

or if you have a huge amount of custom content :

2. Using most of the files from the clean install you can copy and paste them over a section at a time to your saved broken version , Take your time and be very careful !!!
Make sure you don't overwrite these files below :
Any part of the user data folder (you'll end up having to do an EDR for it to read all the content in your local folder)
the Base.ja or Data.ja files in the main folder .
prebuilt file : assets .tdx and .sql files .

Once the files are copied over rename the clean install folder from TS12 to "Clean install TS12" then rename the "DO NOT DELETE" folder back to "TS12" and then run it as normal .

If its back up and running correctly then you can delete the clean install of TS12
or
if you have plenty of space keep it to re-use if your full install corrupts again ;)

As a general note to anyone contemplating the above :
If you attempt the above then it's at your own risk , I shall not take responsibility if something goes wrong or you lose content .

I have used the 2nd install version twice and it worked both times , but as I've stated I took my time during the process .

There's probably an easier way to tackle it and I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be along soon to show how its done ;)
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give the Helpdesk guys another week (perhaps I'm being optimistic?) and if there's still nothing, I'll try the above.

Cheers,
Innis
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Just an update on this issue.

The helpdesk replied and has diagnosed a corruption of some sort so it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall the whole thing.

With TANE almost on top of us, I'm in no rush as once I have TANE installed, the chances of me using TS12 again are slim, beyond for reference.

Thanks for the advice Dave. Looks like I'm going to have to use it once I get round to reinstalling TS12.