Upgrade

For general hardware discussions. Including upgrade advice.
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Re: Upgrade

Post by blackwatch13 »

cyberdonblue wrote:Personally, I think T:ANE runs better with Windows 10. Just beware of Microsoft's spyware and turn off/get rid of as much of it as you can - ESPECIALLY that bloody Cortana crap. Using that gives Microsoft free access to your computer and all of your files. It says so in the small print and using it says that you are happy with that. My advice is get rid.

Dave
How would one go about deleting 'cortana' without 'cocking up' ones system Dave?
I'm always a bit wary I might end up with a 'non-op' op system (stumpy finger syndrome).
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Hi Blackwatch.

You can't actually "Delete" Cortana (I've tried that several times and it reappears within seconds) but you can disable it. Microsoft have been very cunning with Windows 10 though. If you look in the settings box [Settings > System and then check the whole list], they share your info with all sorts of Apps. It's best to go through those lists and remove the "ticks" from some of the boxes as well as disabling Cortana.

To disable Cortana click (LMB) on the start icon (the white square with the black cross.) You should then see a load of blue squares - calender, mail, films & TV etc. One of those should be Cortana. Click on it and then click on the settings icon (should be second one down.) Turn Cortana off. When you've done that click on "Manage what Cortana knows about me in the cloud." This is where Microsoft have sent everything they know about you from your computer.

It will ask you to sign in with your Microsoft account username and password and then deliver you to http://www.bing.com/account/personalization. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and find the "Clear" icon. Click on it and the job is done.

Be aware too that when you install Windows 10, if you came straight from Windows 7 it gets you to create a Microsoft account (usually using your e-mail username as the username for the Microsoft account.) Most people think this is the only way to "Log on" to their computer each time because Microsoft lets you believe that. However, you can log on WITHOUT using a Microsoft account and you will get no intrusions from nosey Bing etc. (I've deleted Bing from everywhere I've found it. It's crap and it's one of Microsoft's spies anyway.) Just go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options and, if you haven't done so before, create a "Local" account and use that to log on. Simples!

If you get stuck have a look here:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... indows-10/

http://www.howtogeek.com/224546/how-to- ... indows-10/

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Easy way of getting rid of all the Win 10 junk / or check you actually have if done it manually is to get hold of Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10, perfectly safe, creates a restore point when you first run it plus you can also add back what was removed. Deals with Cortana and all the new Win10 stuff and all the privacy issues.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Sounds interesting, Malc. I've just downloaded if from The Windows Club. Another toy to have a play with :lol: They say you go back into a second childhhood when you get older. I don't think I ever got out of my first one :D

Dave