New Star Wars Film

Warbo40
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TS2012 (SP1)/S&C
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 441222

New Star Wars Film

Post by Warbo40 »

Well it's less than a month to the release of the new Star Wars film Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Thousands maybe millions of "fans" can't wait to go and watch it at the cinema and see the return of Han Solo, Leia Organa, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker. Apart from me i won't pay to go and watch the film at the cinema and i won't be buying the DVD when it's released next year either.

Myself being a massive Star Wars fan of all the 6 films and the expanded universe novels, etc i was a bit perturbed when Disney bought the rights from George Lucas for $4billion. My worry was that Disney would reinvent the Star Wars storyline and totally ignore the expanded universe. Well i've just found out that my worry was totally founded. Yes, okay Disney paid a lot of money for the rights for the franchise and i suppose when all said and done they can do what they want. But many authors / writers spent many a gruelling hour coming up with all the characters and storylines in the novels they wrote over the years. Which had to be ok'd by George Lucas and his team so they would fit into the Star Wars universe and timeline. Disney have gone and thrown all that work straight in the bin and have pandered to the so called "fans" and brought back all those Star Wars favourites from the original trilogy. In my opinion anyone calling themselves a Star Wars fan who have never read a single expanded universe novel can't call themselves a fan at all.

Storylines such as Han Solo and Leia getting married and having 3 children. Luke getting married to Mara Jade a force-using ex-assasin of Emperor Palpatine. An imperial admiral by the name of Thrawn taking over the remnants of the Imperial armed forces after the rebel victory on Endor and continuing the battle against the rebels. The death of Chewbacca 25 years ABY (after battle Yavin) while the new republic forces fought against a new enemy by the name of the Yuuzhan Vong and the turning of one of the Solo children to the dark side will or have been ignored by Disney.

What do other Star Wars fans on this forum think about this ?
Work to live not live to work.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: New Star Wars Film

Post by PFX »

I'm nowhere near excited as I was way back in 1977 and there was nowhere near the hype then that there is now. So far I've avoided everything relating to the new film and I intend to keep it that way until I decide to go and watch it.

I've seen the three prequels once each and I will never watch any of them again. The big plus for this latest film is J.J. Abrams. He's got good form and I can only hope that this will continue with The Force Awakens. All I'm looking for is a good film which offers the same escape that the first one did 38 years ago. I don't mind if it doesn't adhere rigidly to the existing story. The prequels can't exactly claim to have done much of a job in attempting to do so.

I'll reserve judgement until after I've seen the film.