Holiday

macneil
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2010

Holiday

Post by macneil »

Hey everyone me and my friend are planning on visiting the UK in summer 2017 we will be in London for 10 days then we have A 15 day railpass to travel around the UK as much as we want so we are looking at doing a lap around the UK so far we have decided to stop at Portsmouth first after London then Torquay then Bristol and to Holyhead to go to Ireland for A couple of days.

But we are wondering if places like Manchester and Birmingham have much to look at or visit eventually e will make our way up to Scotland and then down the east coast so any local input on where to stop at would be great .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Re: Holiday

Post by Itareus »

There are so many choices and 15 days is not long enough, as for where to go it really depends what you are looking to see when you visit places.

Personally I would not bother with London (terrible place these days), Torquay (unless you are visiting the steam lines) or Bristol !

Your visit to Ireland will be great but you won't want to come back.

Manchester has a long railway history parts of which are still intact and worth a visit plus a lively city centre, museums & trams.

Birmingham has more miles of canals than Venice.

On your way back down the East Coast get to http://www.beamish.org.uk/ if you can. You must stop at York & take in the National Railway Museum (http://www.nrm.org.uk/), plus York has a whole host of historic sites worth a visit.

I could go on and on but life's too short :).

Chris M
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

you could come to the isle of man on your holiday we have trams and kettles (the trams are better imo) plus we have the worlds oldest running tramcar :D
just watch out for the boat fare it eats a hole in your wallet....
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

If your coming to the Midlands , then I recommend :
the Severn Valley Railway at Kidderminster ,
The Great Central Railway at Loughborough ,
The Ironbridge Gorge and Museums (Telford) ,
Shrewsbury station and Town ,
The Chiltern class 68 + Mk3 loco hauled service from Marylebone to Birmingham .
Worcester : City and Shrub hill station with its lower quadrant semaphore signals .
If its train action your after then a couple of hours on Stafford station will tick most of the boxes :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

And Birmingham Moor Street station (rebuilt/refurbished/restored a while back) is a nice historical sight that that we Brummies tend to take for granted but it is well worth a look at for those with an interest in this country's railways.

Dave
desertrt
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TS12

Post by desertrt »

Itareus wrote: Birmingham has more miles of canals than Venice.
Chris M
But Venice is much more famous than Birmingham. ;)
I live 20 kilometers from it
:)
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Nexusdj wrote:If your coming to the Midlands , then I recommend :
the Severn Valley Railway at Kidderminster ,
The Great Central Railway at Loughborough ,
The Ironbridge Gorge and Museums (Telford) ,
Shrewsbury station and Town ,
The Chiltern class 68 + Mk3 loco hauled service from Marylebone to Birmingham .
Worcester : City and Shrub hill station with its lower quadrant semaphore signals .
If its train action your after then a couple of hours on Stafford station will tick most of the boxes :D
And Molineux Stadium in Wolverhampton if you want to see somewhere fabulous that isn't railways related :lol:
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Briggsy wrote:
And Molineux Stadium in Wolverhampton if you want to see somewhere fabulous that isn't railways related :lol:
Or you could visit the Villa ground at Aston where most supporters have more points on their driving license than the actual club :lol: :lol: :lol:
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

Nexusdj wrote:Or you could visit the Villa ground at Aston where most supporters have more points on their driving license than the actual club :lol: :lol: :lol:
True that :lol:
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Nexusdj wrote:Or you could visit the Villa ground at Aston where most supporters have more points on their driving license than the actual club :lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: Now now, Gentlemen, please. This a mere temporary technical hiccup :cry:

Dave
macneil
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2010

Post by macneil »

Thanks everyone for the replys as good as all that sounds I'll be with my best friend and have to split the time we have there equal I'm not sure if she would like being dragged along to every railway point of interest :p.

A few railway places we could stop at but the other things we are interested in seeing are museums,art galleries,military points of interest and anything to do with the industrial revolution we have five weeks in total but some of that time will be in France to see the D day landings and the German fortifications I dare say ww2 stuff interests me more than trains :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

National Railway Museum, York.

Central London has plenty of museums, galleries, etc. Central London is lovely. Amazing place. Just don't venture too far south of the river into Brixton and surrounding areas.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Birmingham has a great new and interactive Science Museum and many other attractions around the redeveloped south side of the city centre too. It's all situated virtually alongside the old Curzon Street railway station, where the new HS2 station is due to be built. Have a look at the Google link. It might help make up your mind. There is also a fantastic public Art Gallery within the Council House building surrounded by some beautiful architecture from days when they really knew how to design a beautiful building - and all within a stone's throw of the notorious Aussie Bar on Broad Street, should you fancy a night on the town :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=curzo ... FYDtiKw%3D

See also: Birmingham Science Museum

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... gland.html

The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House is also within spitting distance of these attractions but you would need to check when it was open for visitors. A historical place for the testing of gun barrels of all types - even to this day. http://www.gunproof.com/Museums/museums.html

Hope some of that is of interest, Mate.

Cheers.

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

If it's museums you want London has enough to fill 2 weeks. I'd say York is a must see for your list. Amazing historical city. The Castle Museum there and the National Railway Museum are both excellent. Edinburgh and Glasgow both have plenty to offer and if you want some amazing scenery and you can fit a trip out to Kyle of Lochalsh on the train, that would also be highly recommended.

If you want to take in Ireland, does your rail pass permit rail/sail journeys? You could come in via Cairnryan to Belfast and leave via Dublin to Holyhead.

As a rough plan, London - York - Newcastle - Edinburgh - then either Inverness (for Kyle) or Fort William (for Mallaig) - Stirling - Glasgow - ferry Cairnryan to Belfast - Dublin - ferry Dublin to Holyhead - Liverpool - Manchester - Birmingham - London.

That's just a suggestion in part or full. There are of course any number of permutations for getting around the British Isles.