Getting optimum screenshot quality

Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Getting optimum screenshot quality

Post by Class172 »

I don't wish to pollute the other sections of the forum with this question, so I'll leave it here.

Now I've begun to post screenshots from TANE, I've noticed that there is a marked difference between the quality of the image that I see in the game, to that which is found in the user data folder, and ultimately uploaded for viewing. The game runs with complete clarity however my images seem to lose this quality. Is there something I have overlooked that is reducing the quality of the screenshots (I'm simply using the Print Screen key), as there are plenty of crystal clear images posted on here by other members?

Details from the performance tab if that's useful:-

Shadow Quality: High
Main Shadow Res: 2048
Texture Detail: High
Post Proc.: High
Water Quality: High
Antialiasing: 8x
Detail Update Rate: High
Use multiple render threads, texture streaming, PhysX and objects behind camera all active.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Getting optimum screenshot quality

Post by PFX »

I used to have the same problem and discovered it was the picture sharing site that made all the difference. Initially I used Photobucket to share screenshots but switched over to Flickr and straight away I noticed the picture quality improved dramatically. If you aren't using Flickr already, give it a shot and see if that makes an improvement.

Here's an example of the same shot in Photobucket versus Flickr. You can see the resolution isn't as good on the Photobucket shot. This may happen with other picture sharing sites too.

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Like PFX, I use Flickr but I also use "picpick" to take the screenshots. It's free to download, and it's what N3V use in-house too Tony [the boss man] told me. The quality is great and it's a simple one click to take the picture. You can then choose to edit it straight away or just simply save it. It's up to you (and it's idiot proof too otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it :lol: )

Dave :D
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

I see what you mean about different hosting sites. Above is flickr, and below is photobucket, which I had been using for Trainz.