One for the drivers - axle counters

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

One for the drivers - axle counters

Post by PFX »

Further to a previous question on where to obtain axle counters, how are they actually placed? I've tried various avenues via Google but can't find a definitive answer.

Are they placed singly between 2 blocks acting as an exit from block one and entrance to block two, or in pairs so the first is the exit counter for block 1 and the second is the entrance counter for block 2, per the sketch below?

Thanks,
Innis

Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: One for the drivers - axle counters

Post by Nexusdj »

There may be some information contained within this Rail Group Standards document :
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GK ... ss%201.pdf

Technical Requirements for Axle Counters : RGS GK/RT0217
(Note it was published in 2003 and has been superseded)
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Seems the servers for the forum had an upgrade last night and posts after midnight where lost which included cyberdonblue's and my own in here with some further information on axle counters .

After scouring the net last night I found an online presentation of the Thales axle counter system :
https://prezi.com/tvzfhnau7cbz/thales-a ... sentation/

Once it's loaded , click through to the 9/70 image which includes a signalling diagram showing the placement of axle counters .
AzLS Single section axle counter & AzLM Multi section axle counter
(You can full screen the presentation and it also has a facility to zoom in further)

From the map it shows :
1 axle counter required at the start of each section
1 axle counter required next to a signal
1 axle counter required for the signal overlap

Points require 3 axle counters : 1 at the blades end and 1 each the other end for each diverging route (4 required for 3 way points etc.)
Crossovers require 5 counters : 1 each at the blades end , 1 each for the straight roads and share 1 half way across the crossover road .

I've also since read online that platforms with permissive working have an additional counter in between the entrance and exit counters to split the section in two .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

That sounds hellish complicated to try and reproduce in Trainz, Dave. Are Trainz axle counters that good? :?

My post last night was one of my usual long-winded ones, Innis, but I'll save you the hassle of all that reading (and me the hassle of all that writing again :lol: ) by putting it as simply as I can this time around. As I said in the lost post last night :? , I am no expert on these things but basically, my experience of axle counters is where they were used at the entrance and exit of single lines (whether through lines or dead ends makes no difference) but where there is no track circuiting on the single line. They confirm to the signal box (usually remote) that no vehicles have been left on the single line and the system can be used for passenger trains as well as freight.

We also had them at signals where "Banking" was in operation so that it was the rear axle of the train being banked that returned the signal to danger instead of the normal track circuit overlap. This allowed the driver of the assisting engine to observe the signal aspect that was received by the driver of the leading engine. In this particular instance I believe (having spoken to an old colleague today) that an axle counter was placed somewhere prior to the first signal that the train would be banked from and then one at the track circuit overlap of each signal requiring the "Rear Axle Return" action.

Hope that's a bit of a help.

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I wondered my my reply to Dave had disappeared.

Thanks for those gents. I think I can make it work easily enough. I suppose I could just do things the easy way with 'pretend' track circuits but what fun would that be?

So the following image should show what I need to do? Constructive criticism much appreciated (ignoring the fact I forgot to place a circuit box next to the detector by the point toes.

Cheers,
Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'm just curious as to why you would want to use axle counters in the scenario that you have pictured, Innis. Wouldn't colour light signalling be enough to do the job on its own - or am I missing something? I've never used axle counters in Trainz (T:ANE) myself. Do they actually work?

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Purely a modern scenery item Dave. I'm trying to create something scenery rich track side as it is designed to be driven from the cab. For me, it's the small infrastructure items that make that. That's also why I'm adding in ridiculously fiddly things like signalling and electrical cables.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I hate all those fiddly bits.... I had this conversation somewhere else earlier this week :lol: Deja vous :?

Dave :D
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I won't argue with that!