Discuss routes currently being created.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Aylesbury to London Marylebone

Post by cyberdonblue »

The original idea was to base the route in the 1980's/90's. However, as work has developeded and the route has grown it seems to have become a bit of a cross generational mishmash thing. I'm hoping really that people can get away with running almost anything from the 1970's right up to modern day Chiltern stuff on here.

One thing I am fearing though is that it will take a fairly modern computer to run it because of the amount of "scenery" involved in such a busy urban route. I'm learning new ways to cheat all the time but even then it looks like being a GPU hungry beast. We'll see. ;)

Cheers

Dave :D
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Well I for one am definitely looking forward to it - it looks superb! Mind you you know me and my modern era stuff - I might have to test that claim haha ;)

Maybe this will convince me to make the move over to T:ANE - I've been holding off on TS12 (pre-SP1) for a while now!
James M, creator of the
network
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thanks for your kind words, James. Personally, I think you'd love T:ANE, especially if you could put a machine together to run it at fairly high specs. It's quite a GPU hungry horse, but it's worth it. I think Hayden Trains would benefit greatly too. You'd have access to some great scenery items that you can't use in previous versions of Trainz and the in game lighting and visuals are so much better. There's a world of difference from what's gone before and I've got high hopes for SP2 as well.

Cheers :D

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Well both my uni and home PCs should be able to run T:ANE flawlessly given their specs (both running T:ANE off of SSDs). The uni one actually manages in practice, but the home PC still manages to give me stutter unless I disable shadows...

Uni PC:
i5-4690K (currently OCed to 4GHz)
16GB RAM
GTX 1070

Home PC:
i5-2400 (currently OCed to 3.5GHz)
16GB RAM
RX 480

Heck, even my old PC (Core 2 Quad based Xeon + GTX 570) should have given acceptable performance.

The main issue I have with T:ANE is that almost all my content is broken in it - the class 477 mesh doesn't render correctly (the windows have the green/white "missing texture" image over them for some reason, and the LightUp script just straight up won't display the tail lights, and the fact that all my routes I've imported so far (with the exception of Watley EV) have been so mangled by the process I'd probably have to start a new route anyway. I probably will eventually, there just seem to be all these annoying little niggles and problems in the way.

T:ANE is really good, and visually so much better than TS12. Basically I really want to like it, but it just keeps throwing me reason after reason to stick with TS12
James M, creator of the
network
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

I got my Modern plastic import tapas eating big cat warskip ready :lol:
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

A few more pictures to show there's been a little progress. This is Neasden and the immediate surrounding area - with a little artistic licence taken, of course. It will be a heck of big place once I've put the LU Depot in as well.

(above) Neasden Station looking through the bridge from just outside Neasden LU Depot

(above) The back of Neasden Station looking towards Neasden LU Depot from the scrap metal facility

(above) Neasden Station still needs the detail filling in. lights, seats, signs etc

(above) The Class 47 on the "high level" is heading from Acton to Cricklewood. Although it is only a fairly short distance, this route is still partially semaphore signalled to this day.

(above) A bit of fun. The GC hasn't seen this kind of traffic for many a year

More to follow, as and when.

Cheers

Dave :D
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

A quick update as to current progress:

There is still a ton of work to be done but, with the assistance of two of our finest British asset creators, the last week or so has been dedicated to filling in the detail at various points and doing a spot of rebuilding. Nexusdj, Dave, has come up with some superb signals for the LT side of the route. The LT signalling system can be a little complicated so I asked Dave if he could make a couple of adjustments to the Sig 2A BR Post assets for both Home and Distant signals so that I could use a simplified system of just having a distant signal followed by a home signal. What Dave came up with was nothing like I envisaged - and it is absolutely superb.

His signals really look the part and he will be releasing them to the DLS shortly (if he hasn't done already.) They are 2 aspect round head home and distant signals (with LT plates) and a superb 4 aspect combo signal (which is both home and distant signal.) There are LH and RH versions of all of them. My humble thanks to Dave for far exceeding anything I asked for or ever envisaged. Thank you.

Unfortunately Dave is suffering some health problems at the moment so if these signals are not available on the DLS yet then please be patient.

(above) A 4 aspect combo on the Met (left side) and a 2 aspect home signal on the Jubilee (right side) just outside Neasden [north side of]

(above) Looking the opposite way, a 4 aspect combo on the Met (right side) and a 2 aspect distant signal on the Jubilee (left side) just outside Neasden [note the yellow signal plate on the distant]

(above) Two home signals at the southern end of Neasden platform - with 2 distant signals in the distance [no puns intended]

(above) Two 4 aspect combo's at Kilburn (one showing that the next signal is clear, the other warning that the next signal is at danger.)

(above) As you may have noticed from the earlier picture, Neasden (and the surrounding area) is one of the stations that has benefitted from some TLC and a bit of added detail

Yet again, klambert (Karl) has come up with a superb new station building. This time, the building is from Chorleywood. However, this then caused me some considerable angst and then a massive amount of work - thanks Karl ha ha!

To do the building justice, I had to completely rebuild Chorleywood and make some considerable changes to ground levels in the surrounding area before rebuilding the station car park and a couple of roads. There's just a bridge to rebuild now and all should be well - I hope. The station (in the real world) is built on a considerable slant and, through various ways of cheating, I managed to come up with something fairly convincing in my first presentation to the world. However, because Karl's building is so good the blagging had to stop and the job had to be done properly. I hope you like the new station as much as I do, Karl, and many, many thanks for your continuing support.

(above) The "new" Chorleywood station - looking south

(above) Looking north from behind the downside platform

(above) Looking south along the downside platform

(above) Looking south at the substation hidden in the foliage

(above) Some of the detail on the "public" side. The station entrance.

Many thanks once again to Dave and Karl for the excellent assets.

Cheers

Dave
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

cyberdonblue wrote:
Many thanks once again to Dave and Karl for the excellent assets.

Cheers

Dave
My pleasure Dave, more buildings to come soon, what with a recent trip to Marylebone ;)

Plus any buildings I release for this route can be found here: http://forum.british-trainz.co.uk/viewt ... =23&t=3410
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

It's been a while since I posted anything so I thought I'd better make some effort. I've been battling the gremlins - and losing the battles, mostly - but I seem to have won the war overall now. I lost about a months work, including various backups strangely, due to corrupted files and a major crash post SP2. I'm not 100% sure what the cause was but I even ended up reinstalling Windows so it wasn't a quick job to get back to normality.

Anyway, I've been hard at work trying to recover lost ground. Here are just a few pictures of the progress:

(above) Looking northwards over the general Dollis Hill area

(above) Dollis Hill station looking northwards

(above) Dollis Hill station looking southwards

(above) Neasden LT Depot - north end

(above) Outside Neasden LT Depot

(above) Neasden LT Depot - south end

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I've been messing with the short section of the North London Line that crosses the Aylesbury - Marylebone road near West Hampstead. All but finished around this area now. I'm fighting with myself to stop messing with the Midland Mainline but I keep adding little bits. It looks like there'll be a bit of the Midland included from the Finchley Road area up to Cricklewood before turning off to Dudden Hill Junction and coming back down towards Neasden and disappearing off towards Acton. It just sort of completes the circle so I can't resist it.

Anyway, a few pictures of recent work.

(above) A 6 car 501 at Finchley Road & Frognal. It was always a tight fit.

(above) A Willesden bound 501 crosses the Midland mainline after leaving Finchley Road & Frognal.

(above) A DMU bound for Marylebone approaches West Hampstead LU station as a Class 501 sneaks by in the background.

(above) A DMU speeds past West Hampstead LU station.

(above) (A little imagination required for this one.) A Class 25 with a few Goods Vans trundles by Willesden Green LU station.

Cheers

Dave
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

Post by Jacks trainz »

Great progress. Looks like it's coming along nicely

Regards jack
twils12
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: trainz 12
Trainz Build: 46957

Post by twils12 »

Nice! You need to add an ATLS level crossing to Neasden Depot, if you did that, that would be quite nice. I think there are some ATLS UK crossings on the DLS. You can make your own crossing with that, complete with barriers and wigwags(crossing lights). I appreciate your route. Here is a video on the crossing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbMqDm8BcY
Also the crossing is unique that it is the one and only crossing on the Underground.
Helpin' good people since 2014.
If you have ROBLOX, please add me. I am NewBuildmini.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Hi Dave.

Hope you don't take offence if I offer a little constructive criticism?

I notice the ballast texture you're using is a low res one with (I'm guessing here) one of Dave's NEX tracks? If I could suggest the 'Protrack NSWGR clean stone to ground' texture as a good alternative. I've used it with a number of tracks and for the type of route you're doing which is scenery rich track side, I reckon it would make a great improvement visually.

Or you can tell me to mind my own bloody business...

Cheers,
Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:Hi Dave.

Hope you don't take offence if I offer a little constructive criticism?...
Constructive criticism is always welcome, Innis, and I don't take offence easily anyway ha ha! I don't claim to be an expert builder by any stretch of the imagination and there are so many things available on the DLS that it's easy to miss some really good stuff sometimes. I'll definitely have a look at that ballast texture you've mentioned, thank you, cos I'm not totally enthralled with what I've been using but it did the job at the time, if you know what I mean.
PFX wrote:...Or you can tell me to mind my own bloody business...

Cheers,
Innis
:lol: :lol: ...as if I ever would...

Take care

Dave

Edit: I've just checked and I'd already downloaded that texture sometime back. As soon as I read your post something flickered in this old brain of mine recalling having read something on the main forums about it - that's probably why I downloaded it but being as thick as two short planks with the memory span of a gnat I obviously forgot all about it. :D

Thanks again ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I'm thick skinned too so telling me to bugger off wouldn't really have bothered me :D

By the way, I think I forgot to mention what a superb looking route you have in the making.