Re-Skinning

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Jay325i
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: 2012
Trainz Build: 61297

Re-Skinning

Post by Jay325i »

Hi guys,
I have been skinning locos now for a few weeks and I am getting to grips with it it pretty fast. I have only one question. Am I allowed to re-skin assets that I didn't make? For example I have skinned DomSartos GM 141 Class loco to a fictional paint job as now seen on the freight 071 Class Loco in Ireland but am I allowed to do that even tho I wont be releasing them as I would not have the permissions, but are we allowed to re-skin for personal use. Sorry if this question has been answered else where, I had a look on forum but could not find anything related.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 9822298FC/

Irish Rail Class 141 in freight livery

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 5F7F5477A/

BR Class 67 in Enterprise livery waiting to depart Dublin Connely

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 1A6525EC6/
BR Class 67 in Northern Ireland Railways livery departing Dublin

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 610C8C622/

BR Class 67 NIR passing BR Class 222 Irish Rail Intercity.

Regards Jay

Mod Note: images changed to links in line with forum policy.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Re: Re-Skinning

Post by Briggsy »

I appreciate that you're new to Trainz - but with no disrespect, saying you've re-skinned something - but then asking whether you're allowed to is a bit like stealing something from a shop and then going back a day later and asking the shop whether you really needed to pay for it. The correct way of doing it is asking BEFORE you re-skin.

However, to answer your question, in each item, you'll find a config file. In the config file, you'll find a tag that lists whether you can re-skin or not. Generally speaking, if there's nothing in the config file stating, then that's considered that no permission is given. If it says you can re-skin - then go for it. Some say you can re-skin as long as its for personal use only. Some say no fictional liveries (to prevent ghastly flourescent pink with green stripes and brown spot liveries - and yes, there are people that do those liveries! lol). The config file is your friend.

If in doubt, make a note of the item's author - and look on here or the Auran forum. Most creators are active on one of those forums - for example, Domsarto posts on here from time to time. Send them a PM - and wait for a reply. Job done.

I find that most of the time, if you show an author some respect by asking first, they usually agree to it. If you annoy them by re-skinning their work without asking, and then asking afterwards, it goes down like a lead balloon (and rightly so).

Basically, be polite and treat authors and their work with respect - and they'll generally be quite helpful back.
Jay325i
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: 2012
Trainz Build: 61297

Post by Jay325i »

Briggsy wrote:I appreciate that you're new to Trainz - but with no disrespect, saying you've re-skinned something - but then asking whether you're allowed to is a bit like stealing something from a shop and then going back a day later and asking the shop whether you really needed to pay for it. The correct way of doing it is asking BEFORE you re-skin.

However, to answer your question, in each item, you'll find a config file. In the config file, you'll find a tag that lists whether you can re-skin or not. Generally speaking, if there's nothing in the config file stating, then that's considered that no permission is given. If it says you can re-skin - then go for it. Some say you can re-skin as long as its for personal use only. Some say no fictional liveries (to prevent ghastly flourescent pink with green stripes and brown spot liveries - and yes, there are people that do those liveries! lol). The config file is your friend.

If in doubt, make a note of the item's author - and look on here or the Auran forum. Most creators are active on one of those forums - for example, Domsarto posts on here from time to time. Send them a PM - and wait for a reply. Job done.

I find that most of the time, if you show an author some respect by asking first, they usually agree to it. If you annoy them by re-skinning their work without asking, and then asking afterwards, it goes down like a lead balloon (and rightly so).

Basically, be polite and treat authors and their work with respect - and they'll generally be quite helpful back.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yea I kind of thought that last night after I had posted this that maybe I should have approached it a bit different, infact the way you have just mentioned. I'll take the advice on board and ask in future

Jay
MedinaaAlexx
New Starter
Trainz Version: 12
Trainz Build: 0

Post by MedinaaAlexx »

Hello everyone, I´m new in this forum and I´ve just seen these irish rekins, can you please send them to mw via email at trenale[at]gmail[dot]com please? I promise it´s only for personal use as I´m big fan of Ianród Éireann and I´d love to have the Class 222 in Intercity livery and Cklass 67 plus some MK2 coaches in Enterprise livery, as well if t is possible for me to get the Class 67 in NIR livery and the Class 141 in Freight livery, thanks very much.

Alex

Mod Note: email link removed
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

Post by Jacks trainz »

If those reskins go against the authors permission to allow reskins then it's bad enough they have been done let alone re-distributing someone elses work without permission.

If the reskins have been allowed by the original author it doesn't necessarily mean they can be distributed as stated above

Regards jack
Domsarto
Past 250!
Trainz Version: ts2012
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 342053

Post by Domsarto »

MedinaaAlexx wrote:Hello everyone, I´m new in this forum and I´ve just seen these irish rekins, can you please send them to mw via email at trenale[at]gmail[dot]com please? I promise it´s only for personal use as I´m big fan of Ianród Éireann and I´d love to have the Class 222 in Intercity livery and Cklass 67 plus some MK2 coaches in Enterprise livery, as well if t is possible for me to get the Class 67 in NIR livery and the Class 141 in Freight livery, thanks very much.

Alex
For your information have a read of this: http://www.domsarto-tac.com/licence.html