Political Discussion

blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Re: Political Discussion

Post by blackwatch13 »

clam1952 wrote:As also did the Skill Centres before they got privatised in 1989, asset stripped and then went bankrupt!
All time served Tradesmen, using real equipment and supplies. After privatisation they could not afford to buy any materials, sold off most of the machinery and were teaching trades at a desk....
Oh and Deloittes made around half million out of the sale for their advice.....
Redundancy all cancelled as they were broke, in the end I got another job walked out and didn't bother to tell them until the day before I left.
I am very grateful for those Skill Centres, I did my training as a 'Heavy Vehicle Fitter' at the centre in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, set me up
for a career in the motor repair trade. :)

I did this training during the miners strikes of 1983, used to get stopped & car searched by the police on a regular basis whilst
travelling home for the weekend on Friday & going back on Monday morning. :(
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Moving on a bit, are ye's all looking forward to the DUP having a say in the running of the UK?

Aye, I'm putting the cat among the pigeons there. :)
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

PFX wrote:Moving on a bit, are ye's all looking forward to the DUP having a say in the running of the UK?

Aye, I'm putting the cat among the pigeons there. :)
Are they likely to be having any input?

There were initial rumours of the DUP insisting that changes to some of the benefits would have to be reversed - but the latest rumours now are that it's simply going to be a cash-for-yes votes situation instead.

The only can of worms that seems to have opened now is that the Welsh and Scottish have said that if that's going to be the case that Northern Ireland get extra money as part of the support deal, then Scotland and Wales want some additional money too.

I'm just hoping that the whole thing doesn't work out so that we can vote again. I'm happy to go for a vote every day of the week if it means that the Tories are gone at the end of it.

I don't care who gets in - just anyone but the Tories. I'd even take a Monster Raving Loony Party government over the Tories (with Boris, Michael 'Mr Bean' Gove and U-Turn Theresa around, there's little difference anyway).
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

It's going to be all out war between the lot of 'em, the way I see it. Sinn Fein won't want anything to do with the government or the DUP while they're in bed together and, as Briggsy says, the Welsh (and probably the Scottish too) will be watching very closely to see what funds get diverted where. These lot are going to be bouncing from pillar to post - and if the DUP end up backing something contentious that has no direct application in Northern Ireland then there'll be hell to play in Parliament generally.

I think it's only a matter of time, Briggsy - and a short time at that - before the walls come tumbling down. I, for one, will be very surprised if we see Christmas without having had another general election.

Comrad Dave ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

The DUP are spitting mad that all their 16th century policies are now under scrutiny from UK press. They've had coverage here for years that the rest of the UK doesn't care about but now that the Tories are about to invite the loony right to the party, it's of interest. What is mentioned above is correct though, concessions won't be on policy, only for money. So the Tories, and all of us who pay taxes, will be subsidising Queen Arlene's corrupt little empire.

To be honest though, I doubt that it really matters as I can't see this unholy matrimony lasting long before we're all back at the polls again.

HAHA! I just noticed you've changed your avatar. Well played comrade. :D
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

cyberdonblue wrote:I think it's only a matter of time, Briggsy - and a short time at that - before the walls come tumbling down. I, for one, will be very surprised if we see Christmas without having had another general election.
Don't be so daft!

Only Theresa May and the Conservatives can deliver a strong and stable leadership in the national interest don't you know!
PFX wrote:So the Tories, and all of us who pay taxes, will be subsidising Queen Arlene's corrupt little empire.
The Tories getting involved with corruption? Surely not!.....
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Briggsy wrote:
cyberdonblue wrote:I think it's only a matter of time, Briggsy - and a short time at that - before the walls come tumbling down. I, for one, will be very surprised if we see Christmas without having had another general election.
Don't be so daft!

Only Theresa May and the Conservatives can deliver a strong and stable leadership in the national interest don't you know!
Have you been exchanging PM's with a certain member from the very north of our region???? :? :lol:
Briggsy wrote:
PFX wrote:So the Tories, and all of us who pay taxes, will be subsidising Queen Arlene's corrupt little empire.
The Tories getting involved with corruption? Surely not!.....
Never! Merely the redistribution of wealth by other, less well recognised means

Dasvidaniya ;)

Comrad Dave :D
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

The funny, no, I shouldn't say funny, sad thing about the DUP is that quite a number of their highest profile members believe the earth is only 6000 years old and that dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time humans did. A few of their representatives at the devolved parliament actually believe that the Protestants of Ulster (bear in mind Ulster also has 3 counties in the Republic so is an inaccurate description of Northern Ireland) are the lost tribe of Israel. Yes, you read that right. Some also believe the Ark of the Covenant is buried somewhere in Ireland.

The leader of the DUP oversaw a renewable heat incentive scheme that sees participants get £1.60 back for every £1 they spend. Yes, you read that right. At the current level of uptake, that's going to cost £500,000,000 or half a billion quid if that's easier to say. That's only the most recent financial scandal. There are a number of others, not to mention the blatant homophobia, bigotry, misogyny and abuse of power that the DUP are renowned for here.

Although I didn't have feelings one way or the other when I moved here, I've gone from being ambivalent about the union to being a nationalist since encountering the politics of Northern Ireland. I'm sure this is entirely disagreeable to some on this forum but I make no apologies for it and I'm happy to get along with those whose political views differ from mine if they can engage in reasoned debate.

Hmmm, in an attempt to lighten the tone, I'm halfway through a bottle of wine. I feel the Ready Brek glow upon me.