Full UK rail system possible?

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Tonester666
New Starter
Trainz Version: T:ANE

Full UK rail system possible?

Post by Tonester666 »

Hi all

I am about to embark on creating my first major route covering about 120 miles or so (as soon as I can get my head around Transdem). This got me thinking how possible would it be to create the entire UK rail system with Trainz. Does anyone think it could be possible or would it be a task that would kill your PC or take too much time?
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Re: Full UK rail system possible?

Post by ScottAS2 »

Tonester666 wrote:I am about to embark on creating my first major route covering about 120 miles or so (as soon as I can get my head around Transdem). This got me thinking how possible would it be to create the entire UK rail system with Trainz. Does anyone think it could be possible or would it be a task that would kill your PC or take too much time?
In theory I suppose it's possible, but to calibrate your expectations somewhat just the East Coast Main Line took a team of several people 14 years. Multiply that by five or six to do just the main inter-city lines and you're already at seventy or eighty years before even starting on the many smaller lines. Add to that how complicated it would be to model all the trains needed to make even part of the network seem realistically busy, and I think I'll stick with smaller routes for now. :-)
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'm currently working on a route of a mere 38 miles. I can assure you, though, you will need a sturdy little set up to run any trains on it.

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I agree with Dave. I have an 80 mile TransDEM route on the stove and it's pretty heavy on PC resource and I've only really completed about 1% of it.
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 0

Post by pacerguy »

it might be possible using minimal scenery 2d tree splines and hand made terrain
you need roughly 500 thousand trainz boards for a full Britain route with no holes that includes parts with no railway
a better way is just track along boards and have holes where there is no rail network
you can speed up the building time by making your own tracks with built in overhead or third rail
good luck
Tonester666
New Starter
Trainz Version: T:ANE

Post by Tonester666 »

I do agree that it would take an enormous team of individuals who were experts in Surveyor/Transdem etc but how superb would it be. It takes me 6 months just to do a small layout in TMR lol.
twils12
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: trainz 12
Trainz Build: 46957

Post by twils12 »

Someone once tried it, and gave up. Glbotu tried to make a route like that, but instead the entire Greater London. He gave up and you can find his route on the DLS called London RV.
Helpin' good people since 2014.
If you have ROBLOX, please add me. I am NewBuildmini.
davies_mike57
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: 12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 102457

Post by davies_mike57 »

Trainz members,
Layouts can be far too big to handle, and may have slow performance especially on low end computers.
For example using the classic ECML route,
I drove a passenger train from Skegness station destined to Newcastle station.
The simulated journey was very long in time and actually fell asleep at the computer desk on the way.
Woke up and the train derailed at a point on a bridge at Newcastle.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

davies_mike57 wrote:Trainz members...

...I drove a passenger train from Skegness station destined to Newcastle station.
The simulated journey was very long in time and actually fell asleep at the computer desk on the way.
Woke up and the train derailed at a point on a bridge at Newcastle.
;) Maybe one of our great asset builders could come up with a working DSD or one of those irritating bloody vigilance devices. (You'd be surprised how many drivers in the real world actually nod off from time to time - but they have all the protection in the world to avoid catastrophes :o .)

In all seriousness though, I think Trainz fans are happier with shorter routes with a fair amount going on to occupy their interest. Finding the happy medium is not an easy task.

Cheers

Dave
sharris
New Starter
Trainz Version: 2012

Post by sharris »

That's totally crazy you would never see it finished and the amount time you would have to upgrade while while you built it.You would need to have about 3000 trains on the route .

But an interesting idea though .