Discuss routes currently being created.
car112
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 116313
Author KUID: 533914

Stamford - Gramsby aka The Gramsby Line

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone! I've finally decided to work on a fictional UK route of my own. I call it, The Gramsby Line, a fully electrified overhead line from Stamford to Gramsby. I'll be able to post updates when I can find the time to do so.

Stations along the route are the following along the direction of North to South. Tracks represent how many platforms serve trains.

Stamford (4 tracks, Terminus)

Balerno (4 tracks)

Ferndochty (2 tracks. Local Service only)

Furness (2 tracks, Local Service only)

Auchendale (2 tracks, Local Service only)

Dangarnon (4 tracks)

Aempleforth (2 tracks, Local Service Only)

Auchterarder (2 tracks, Local Service Only)

Bury (4 tracks)

Gramsby (4 tracks, Terminus)

There will be a local service and two express services.
The rolling stock used will be Class 477 trainsets or Class 479 trainsets. I don't know how to change the destination sign on these trainz models but they are spectacular and can be put to good use.

Now, I've already started working on the route, but I have a problem. I need some help with building the catenary. Would it be alright if I posted a beta version of the route so that someone could critique and help me fix the catenary?

I'll see if I can post screenshots as well. I feel a bit worried about this route. However, I will do my best to get it done.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you and stay awesome.
Last edited by car112 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
car112
Past 100!

Re: Stamford - Gramsby aka The Gramsby Line

Post by car112 »

My apologies but I'll post screenshots of my initial progress of this route sometime this week. I don't mind if this site is inactive but I know that many of these UK routes take months or even an entire year to complete.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. I will be busy this weekend, so I may or may not be able to post screenshots from the route. For now, I'm fixing up the catenary on the approach to Stamford. I've used portals to produce trains and see how they approach the platforms respectively. Also, the UK Catenary Height object is very useful. I recommend it for any UK route that will have catenary involved. Have a great weekend everyone.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Here are some screenshots from my route. As you can see, everything is still a work in a progress. I think I could be starting off this route on the wrong foot but I hope it will be completed. I also think I should have planned out a route map first too. :oops:

This is Stamford Station, the terminus of the line. All express and local service trains will terminate here. Tracks 8, 7, 2, and 1 are for local service trains and tracks 6, 5, 4, and 3 are for express service trains.

This section of track is the approach to Stamford Station. The tracks split from 4 tracks to 8 tracks. I'm having difficulty trying to build the catenary for this specific section due to the track layout shown here.

This is North Stamford Crossover, where trains can crossover from the inbound tracks to the outbound tracks. I do apologize that there are no signs of any sidings yet. There will be a North Stamford Yard.

This is Stamford bridge, carrying trains out of Stamford and out onto the mainline. Further north, there will be a yard either on the east side or the west side of the tracks, which will house maintenance services and storage of all trains.

I think I have made a few mistakes with the catenary as I'm not familiar with the UK catenary. However, the UK catenary height tool has been very useful, just to make sure the pantograph on the PTSO units touches the wire.

I'm looking forward to answering any questions and discussing any comments you have for this route. Thank you all and stay awesome. :D
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. Just for reference, here is the map of The Gramsby Line. Are there any British rolling stock that have pantographs and have the capability to include changeable destination textures? So far, I'm impressed with using the Class 478 trainsets, but if I were to reskin these, who would I need to contact in order to get permission? How would I reskin the Class 478 trainset and is it possible to create destination signs for it?

I'll be working on the route today. I've been busy this summer with two summer courses and an internship.

Take care and stay awesome!

Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

WessexElectricNutter is the creator of the original 477, so he would be the person you would need to obtain permission from (although if you used any of the reskins aside from the original sussex rail or London Midland skin as a base you'd need the permission of whoever reskinned that too)

WEN isn't on here much anymore, but luckily for you he gave permission for anyone to reskin his stuff:
WessexElectricNutter wrote:
Marky7890 wrote:I managed to find this in the Google Cache:
This post lists content which the creator has announced can be freely distributed amongst forum members.
Content by Wessex_Electric_Nutter
Originally posted on the UKTrainz forums.

Mark

That's right, no need to ask, no need to credit :) We all have to learn from somewhere, that's why I put my sources out. (It also gives me a little bit of a competitive incentive to get my arse into gear so to speak :) )
James M, creator of the
network
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Oh, well then, this will be great news. I can reskin a class 478 train set and a class 477 trainset. The class 478 trainset will be used for express service and the class 477 can be used for local service.

Now, how easy is it to reskin these? I haven't reskinned an asset before.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. I have made a few changes to my route. First off, I have removed the terminus building that I used for Stamford Station and I'm currently rebuilding it to be a 4 track terminus station instead. Also, two tunnels will be included on the approach to Stamford. I am currently working on two tracks that will lead to the North Stamford Maintenance and Storage Yard to store the trains. I'll be able to continue working on the route on Friday.

Take care and stay awesome!
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone! Here are some more screenshots! :D

Here is the overview of Stamford Station. There are four platforms, two for express trains and two for local trains.

Here is the front of Stamford Station.

Here are the ticket barriers at platforms 1 and 2.

Here are platforms 3 and 4.

Here is a view of the station from above. Note the excellent use of catenary here.

This is Stamford Tunnel at the Northbound side.

Now, I have a question about this junction here. I'm having difficulty trying to build catenary over this section of the line but it just doesn't work. I think I may need to fix the trackwork around this area.

These two tracks will lead to the North Stamford Yard, where trains will be stored.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and stay awesome!
chrisrose1993
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: 2019
Trainz Build: 110394
Author KUID: 299027

Post by chrisrose1993 »

The curves look too tight in places plus the use of the default station buildings would be better to use custom ones so as in Nexus has some good platform splines you could use.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

chrisrose1993 wrote:The curves look too tight in places plus the use of the default station buildings would be better to use custom ones so as in Nexus has some good platform splines you could use.
I'll be fixing up the curves today and will see if I can replace the current platform splines and station buildings as well. I'm also currently in the process of reskinning class 478 rolling stock to be used for the line.

Thank you for the feedback.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

car112 wrote:Now, I have a question about this junction here. I'm having difficulty trying to build catenary over this section of the line but it just doesn't work. I think I may need to fix the trackwork around this area.
In that situation it looks like you'd be better off with a different layout. I'd imagine it would be more realistic to have a series of crossovers, and then the 2-track line branch out from only the bottom 2 tracks (or utilising a flyover/dive-under depending on how the tracks are configured). That would make them much easier to electrify
James M, creator of the
network
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. I have some good news. I recently fixed up the track layout beyond the Stamford Tunnel. There is now a crossover between the local line on the left facing north and the express line on the right. Beyond the crossover is the junction to North Stamford yard, a four track layover yard for storing trains. I've also laid track down to Balerno, a four track station which will have walkover ramps. The station is partially elevated but it's useful. Beyond Balerno, the tracks will go underground. I will make sure to post screenshots of this progress so far either today or sometime tomorrow. Also, I have fixed the track curves as well.

Also, the class 478 Gramsby Line reskins are complete but will not be released yet. I was able to fix the font on the ledboards using a font called DS-Digital.
Also, I've created destination textures for the Gramsby Line class 478 as well. Do I need to ask permission first before uploading these destination textures to the DLS?

The destination textures are the following:

Gramsby Local
Northbound

Gramsby Express
Northbound

Stamford Local
Southbound

Stamford Express
Southbound

No Passengers

Special

Work Train (Note: There will be four DMSO-PTSO-DMSO consists who will have this destination texture.)

Please let me know if you have any questions and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your support and stay awesome!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

In the UK, the term "No passengers" is not used on destination boards. I think you will find the display would read, "Not In Service."

Cheers :D

Dave
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

cyberdonblue wrote:In the UK, the term "No passengers" is not used on destination boards. I think you will find the display would read, "Not In Service."

Cheers :D

Dave
Yeah, I will need to change that. Also, should I upload the destination textures to the DLS even though the route is not done yet?

Thanks for the advice.