evertrainz
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS 2012
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 160471

New Peak Enginesounds?

Post by evertrainz »

Hello all.

I've been working on my Peak project, and one thing I really need, almost on a gimmie-pig level, is new enginesounds for Peaks. I do not live in the UK, I love UK railways. An unfortunate relationship because I am dependent entirely on the railfans "across the pond" if I need pictures or anything else from a preserved railway.

If anyone has a good sound recorder with a boom or a "dead cat" to protect the mic from wind noise, and has free time, could you please record Peak enginesounds? I understand that this is an extremely selfish request but I do not want to use the old Peak enginesound. It sounds very dated with random stops and gaps between notches and is not what I want to hear on my locos.

Do any preserved railways run their Peaks up to full throttle? I was told by someone else, when asking him if he was able to record enginesound, that his local railway barely gets the Peak past notch 4. Preferably, I would like it if you could record all power levels but realistically I don't think that is possible.

Thanks and regards
Ron

P.S. Thank you Warbo40 for the detailed shots of D123's bogey, really helped me out!
Last edited by evertrainz on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
evertrainz
Milepost 5

Re: New Peak Enginesounds?

Post by evertrainz »

Now I am going to need some help on the Peak's multiple era detail differences, since the folks at RMWeb seem to be unable to help.

I can pin down the many variations in nose end headcodes well, thanks to the Derby Sulzers, site, but it is more of the smaller details such as the plating of boiler/steps, the smaller side vent, and the changing of the nose end vents to a latch-and-hinge type.

I want to present the asset in its Blue and Green forms, as would be the norm, and may follow the same path taken by Tony Z when releasing his Peaks. A variety of nose ends for the 45s and 45/1s, while scripting the plate and triangular grilles to show or hide based on number. So far, these are the Class 45 assets I want to release:

Green:

- BR Class 45 Green Split HC Nose Doors
- BR Class 45 Green Split HC
- BR Class 45 Green Centre Split HC
- BR Class 45 Green Centre HC

- BR Class 45 Green Split HC Nose Doors (Yellow Panel)
- BR Class 45 Green Split HC (Yellow Panel)
- BR Class 45 Green Centre Split HC (Yellow Panel)
- BR Class 45 Green Centre HC (Yellow Panel)

Blue 1970s:

- BR Class 45 Split HC (1970s)
- BR Class 45 Centre Split HC (1970s)
- BR Class 45 Centre HC (1970s)

- BR Class 45/1 Split HC (1970s)
- BR Class 45/1 Centre Split HC (1970s)
- BR Class 45/1 Centre HC (1970s)

Blue 1980s:

- BR Class 45 Split HC (1980s)
- BR Class 45 Centre Split HC (1980s)
- BR Class 45 Centre HC (1980s)
- BR Class 45 (Marker Lights, 1980s)

- BR Class 45/1 Split HC (1980s)
- BR Class 45/1 Centre Split HC (1980s)
- BR Class 45/1 Centre HC (1980s)
- BR Class 45/1 (Marker Lights, 1980s)

I am going to need some guidance as to which details to leave, and which to remove, based on the asset.

A list of what I need help on:

- Plated boiler filler and steps, removal of underframe-mounted step
- Headcodes changed to full centre or not (based on specific running numbers within each era)
- Removal of Bluestar equipment
- TOPS or not (1970s assets)
- Hinged vs. fixed nose grill (based on era)
- Roof boiler exhaust
- Underframe air tanks
- Small side vent plated
- Triangular grilles removed/added?

If it's helpful, I am basing the 1970s variants off the 1975 Peaks, and the 80s variant off of the 1983 Class 45s.

Thanks and regards
Ron
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

Hi

Looking great by the way, I'll see if I can do some research into those for you. However I have a question for you. How did you create the detail on the side vents and guttering, it looks simply amazing. Did you do some sort of bump map or did you model them fully with vertexs and Polys?
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
evertrainz
Milepost 5

Post by evertrainz »

Hi,

Thanks for offering to help, I think I can generalize most details of the era to all members of the class but I would like to have as much detail as possible. One thing I’m contemplating doing is searching Flickr by typing “1975 45___” for all running numbers to check the details I’d listed. A very lengthy process!

Thanks for the compliment, the grilles are indeed modelled. I created a plane and stretched/thinned it to resemble one of the grill strips, then duplicated it and moved it up, and did that around 20-30 times until the whole vent was full. Then I added a Solidify modifier to give them thickness.

This is by no means going to be a low-poly project, it’s already at 140K polygons and will hopefully be released for Trainz 2019, with the new PBR materials. If you’ve seen the AP Class 40 for Train Simulator that’s the level of detail I want to bring.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Can you make it tilt?

Will it work in Trainz 2006?

:mrgreen:
evertrainz
Milepost 5

Post by evertrainz »

Briggsy wrote:Can you make it tilt?

Will it work in Trainz 2006?
Yes and yes ;)

Does anyone have info on the Class 45/56 nameplates? I don't know when each was named, and don't have textures for them. This would be a good time for me to try the new height map features...
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Got some dates here and some not very good images of names https://www.derbysulzers.com/peaknames.html
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
evertrainz
Milepost 5

Post by evertrainz »

Thanks Malc.

Does anyone know where Tony Z got the nameplate textures? I would like to modify them and give them some heightmaps but of course need permission from the original authors first. I would like to get in touch with Tony Z but I've been told he has far more important matters on his hands.

Regards
Ron
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

Hi, in regards to your detailing questions asked earlier, I'd strongly recomend purchasing a back issues of Modern Locomotives Illustrated, or see if you can find a second hand online. I cannot state enough how helpful this magazine has been in helping with detailing on various projects over the years.

https://modernlocomotives.keypublishing ... sueID=5318

You can also view an online version for a small fee. Unfortunately I can't dig out my copy as it really my Dads and currently he's 200 miles away in Yorkshire.

I'd also recommend using flickr as a source of info. Lastly I volunteer at Mid Hants which has a Peak, namely 45132, I'll see if I can get a few reference photos if you like, although I'll have to message a few people to see if I can get track access with someone as I don't have PTS, seeing as it's stuffed down the end of a siding somewhere.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
evertrainz
Milepost 5

Post by evertrainz »

klambert wrote:Hi, in regards to your detailing questions asked earlier, I'd strongly recomend purchasing a back issues of Modern Locomotives Illustrated, or see if you can find a second hand online. I cannot state enough how helpful this magazine has been in helping with detailing on various projects over the years.

https://modernlocomotives.keypublishing ... sueID=5318

You can also view an online version for a small fee. Unfortunately I can't dig out my copy as it really my Dads and currently he's 200 miles away in Yorkshire.

I'd also recommend using flickr as a source of info. Lastly I volunteer at Mid Hants which has a Peak, namely 45132, I'll see if I can get a few reference photos if you like, although I'll have to message a few people to see if I can get track access with someone as I don't have PTS, seeing as it's stuffed down the end of a siding somewhere.
The online-view version is usually cheap so I’ll most likely be picking that up.

Flickr is being used extensively and as my primary source, so much to the point that I doubt it would be worth your time to go and take snaps of 45132. Things are nearly done on the loco mesh, and the vast library of Peak shots I’ve favorited on Flickr should help me with nearly everything! Thank you, though!

Regards
Ron