Upgrading Graphics Cards?

For general hardware discussions. Including upgrade advice.
Highland Lineman
New Starter
Trainz Version: 4.6 TRS19

Upgrading Graphics Cards?

Post by Highland Lineman »

Browsing through the posts on this part of the forum has prompted me to consider various options for upgrading the performance of my own computer, an undertaking fraught with risks and costs.

RAM is fine at 32Gb. Storage capacity is OK at 12.5Tb internally and umpteen Tbs externally.

When I got to investigating Graphics I was fair affronted to learn that this computer has the crappiest Graphics Card possible if one intends to use it for serious ‘games’ programmes. “NVIDIA GeForce GT 710”

As I understand it upgrades can range in costs. I have to bear in mind that I’m using it for ‘games’, not financing HS2.

The consensus of opinion, from what I have read so far, is that upgrading to ‘GT 1030’ or ‘RX550’ would be the best option at this stage. (Anything with an ‘X’ in the name seems to cost more).

Unfortunately this means that my intention to build the Trans Siberian Railway route (about 6000 miles) using Trainz and TransDEM has to be put on hold until I decide the next step or I get a Government grant.

Several members appear to be well clued up on all this technical stuff. Any suggestions, guidance, advice, comments, would be appreciated and considered.

PS: OOPS. Soon as I submitted this post I got logged out. Was it something I said?
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Upgrading Graphics Cards?

Post by clam1952 »

If using for Trainz TANE or TRS19 needs a GTX 1060 at least, preferably higher and newer, both TANE and TRS19 are GPU intensive so a good mid or high end GPU is essential. A GT1030 is better than a 710 however is still a low end entry level not for gaming card.
It will struggle with TRS19 and Transdem.

If you currently have a 710 your PSU is probably on the the low side which unless you intend getting a bigger PSU as well is going to restrict what card you can upgrade to. For example a GTX1060 requires a 400 Watt PSU a much better GTX1660TI 450 Watts, a 2060 500 Watts.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Highland Lineman
New Starter
Trainz Version: 4.6 TRS19

Re: Upgrading Graphics Cards?

Post by Highland Lineman »

Completion of the Trans Siberian route may be delayed indefinitely.

Thank you for your comments Clam. Sounds like if I go ahead and upgrade one thing I will have to upgrade everything, otherwise I’ll end up with a pile of scrap or blowing up the house. I don’t think leaving the house, even with a bomb under me, would be accepted as a good excuse.

All it says on the label on my PSU is “Maximum power shall not exceed 320w” Well, I didn’t buy it initially for gaming and it certainly looks like it wasn’t built for gaming.

I had a quick look at some videos clips on the subject on You Tube and I must say the whole experience has left me traumatised.

If I intend to get serious on the gaming side of things I shall have to invest in an appropriate machine.

Thanks again, you’ve probably saved my life, not to mention the whole street.