3ds Max - Creating a carriage bodyshell with an interior

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
Giac425
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TRS19
Author KUID: 857354

3ds Max - Creating a carriage bodyshell with an interior

Post by Giac425 »

Hello all, apologies if this is a thread that has been done before.

So over the past few months, thanks to covid, redundancy has left me with a lot of spare time on my hands and I've used some of that time to slowly teach myself the basics of 3ds max, creating mostly objects not really suitable for Trainz but just some stuff for me to get the hang of the basic functions of the program. Recently I finally decided to take the plunge into trying to make Trainz content, and although it may be an ambitious move to choose a train as my first proper Trainz asset, I feel like it's what will keep me going with learning how to use the software properly, partially because I like to challenge myself but also because there are a fair few gaps in the UK rolling stock content on Trainz since Railwaves closed down.

So to start off with I decided to try and make a Class 487, which I thought would make an interesting addition to the W&C Line route that Snakelight has on the DLS. I decided to start on the TS to begin with:

Imageclass487 by Giacomo Fiderio, on Flickr[/img]

So far I'm pleased with the shape and dimensions of the bodyshell itself. Obviously a lot needs to be done (Adding lights, bogey attachments etc) but the main thing I want to do next is add windows, animated doors and a proper interior, and to be honest I haven't got the foggiest where to begin with that. I even fear I may have made the bodyshell in the wrong way and I need to start from scratch. I made it as a box and it currently has the shell modifier on it so it's hollow, but obviously I'm yet to put proper windows/doors onto it, if doing that is possible on a box. If I need to start from scratch and re-make the bodyshell using planes rather than a box, that would be useful to know.

If anyone could give me any pointers or just some 3DS Max tutorials that would be relevant to what I'm trying to do, please let me know. Cheers!

Giacomo.
This train has been delayed due to a high number of polys.
SnakeLight64
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019/2022
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 563140

Re: 3ds Max - Creating a carriage bodyshell with an interior

Post by SnakeLight64 »

I've not used 3DS max myself, but with all 3D creating software they say it's the same basis just different setups and obviously some better than the other, etc. But from what I can see is how I would've started off. For the windows, I would use a Boolean tool (I use Blender, so might be something different on 3DS max.) I'd create another mesh and that would be the shape of the cut-out I wish to achieve, was you apply the modifier it cuts out the shape into the mesh, thus gaining the window or door shape, for example.

As for this project, It'll go perfect with my latest update I'm doing for the route, new tube tunnels, signals, track, speed signs, I'm also thinking to fully create Waterloo and Bank stations but I'll cross that bridge once i get all the other stuff done. I'm also aiming to get the route a multiplayer session to bring a little more fun to the route, it'll be fun trying to keep to the strict timetable or you would find yourself behind anther player! :lol:

All the best with your project, I'll keep a eye out for it :)

Reece
Giac425
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TRS19
Author KUID: 857354

Re: 3ds Max - Creating a carriage bodyshell with an interior

Post by Giac425 »

Thanks very much for your response Reece,

Having looked into it it looks like it's a similar process on 3DS Max, so I'll and work on making meshes in the appropriate shapes for the doors and windows and then use the Boolean tool to get some nice windows and door cutouts :)

And thanks! Obviously I can't make any promises when this will be released, but with the amount of time I have on my hands right now I'm hoping that the body won't take that long to build, then it'll just be the case of me learning the dark arts of Trainz scripting so that it works properly in the game itself.

All the best.
This train has been delayed due to a high number of polys.