FTP links

Support for technical issues with Trainz or CMP. (Errors, crashes, faults, problems, install help, etc...)
dave55007
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2009
Trainz Build: 38869
Author KUID: 349132

FTP links

Post by dave55007 »

My computer is telling me that neither Firefox nor Google Chrome is supporting FTP links, so I cannot download from the DLS. Does anyone known of a browser that is still supporting FTP links please?
Dave

Great Yorkshire Railways - a Great idea that never was!
slenderman7676
Past 100!
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 628458

Re: FTP links

Post by slenderman7676 »

Internet explorer still works from my experience. Or use an older version of firefox or chrome which does support FTP links.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

At the risk of stating the obvious why not use Content Manager? Downloads from the DLS using CM have most warnings including ones that become errors in higher builds suppressed, downloads from the Web Page do not, show as locally modified and can be faulty.

Rather than messing with assorted Browsers just install WinSCP which registers itself in Windows as an FTP Client, if you then click an FTP link in Firefox Edge Chrome etc a Window will popup asking if you want Winscp to download it.

Works at present as also does Filezilla that of course depends on Microsoft not blocking FTP as well, as it's full of security holes........ apparently. :roll:

IE should have been removed by now by Windows update as Chrome Edge has an IE compatibilty mode.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
dave55007
Past 100!

Post by dave55007 »

Thanks for the replies. I tend to use both DLS and Content Manager to complement each other, as sometimes I cannot download from CM, but am able to from DLS. As an example, I'm attempting to download Greeni's new breakdown train. It is listed on DLS, but I cannot download it (no FTP), but it is not present on either my 2009 CM or my 2012 CM.

I might give WinSCP a try.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave

greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

Dave55007 check you email :)
bolivar
Milepost 5

Post by bolivar »

Uninstalled WinSCP & Firefox. Do not need them, if you have a chrome based browser. No more problems:

Open Chrome or any Chromium-based browser such as the new Edge, Opera, or Vivaldi.

In the address bar, paste this:

chrome://flags/#enable-ftp

A browser will open up with all kinds of hidden settings.

Look for the one for FTP;

Click on the pull down on the right and choose Enable.

Your browser will restart.
dave55007
Past 100!

Post by dave55007 »

Bolivar, what you suggested seemed familiar and when I looked it up it was something I had done while searching for a solution. This time I discovered the Beta version of Chrome, so I downloaded that and tried again - to no avail. There is no mention of FTP in the entire list of flags in the comprehensive list.

Could it be because I'm running Windows 8.1?

As for WinSCP, downloaded it and tried it and it works! Thank you Malc (clam1952).

Regards,

Dave
Dave

clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

I've just checked in Edge in win 10 and Win11 and the FTP flag appears to have been removed, it was there a month or two ago though. Bizarrely Win11 (beta) has assigned the FTP protocol to Edge which doesn't work as the flag is no longer there.

Supposedly you can use Edge in IE compatibility mode for FTP, no idea how that works or if it still does.

From Microsoft. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... ng-changes
In Edge v88, FTP support is removed entirely. This change is happening in the Chromium project, on which Microsoft Edge is based. ... Enterprises that have sites that still require FTP support can continue to use FTP by configuring the site to use IE mode.20 Jul 2021

That appears to me that N3V would have to do it at their end?

It gets worse as it's also been removed from Chrome https://support.google.com/chrome/threa ... lags?hl=en
giliard
Diamond Product Expert
Product Designer and Developer
7/27/21
Chrome flags are experimental and will not exist forever. It's normal often flags being removed.

Unfortunately, the only workaround would be downgrading to the previous version, but it's not recommended at
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/