TRS 22 discount

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

TRS 22 discount

Post by PFX »

When TRS 19 appeared, along with it's subscription model, I was dead set against it, but once I realised I could have a standalone version, I decided to go for it and it was a great leap in performance on my modest PC.

Speed forward to TRS 22 and it's a repeat. I wasn't going to buy it until I saw a good discount offered last Friday and thought, okay, why not? I only got as far as the product screen to discover Surveyor 2.0 isn't included on the standalone version, which is a shame as it's the one thing that was tempting about it. I don't have any issue as such with subscriptions, I have one for MS Office, Netflix, etc. and I suppose in a way, I have one for Trainz by way of the FCT I've bought for the last 15 years, but I expected Surveyor 2.0 to be in the base version of the sim, given it's being plugged heavily by N3V as the big innovation.

Not a rant as such, I'm not looking to start an argument about subscriptions or how businesses work, just disappointed that the latest innovation in Trainz isn't 'in' Trainz.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: TRS 22 discount

Post by Mightyena »

I'm just a little confused as to what TRS22 offers over TRS19 without surveyor 2.0 or any of the subscription perks.

Well, maybe a UI that doesn't keep freezing every few minutes grumble grumble
James M, creator of the
network
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Can't say I've ever had a UI issue on TRS19. In fact, only real problem I've had is one of saving route progress, only to find work hasn't saved to the route, but only the session. Easily fixed though.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Mightyena wrote:I'm just a little confused as to what TRS22 offers over TRS19 without surveyor 2.0 or any of the subscription perks.

Well, maybe a UI that doesn't keep freezing every few minutes grumble grumble
Mostly bug fixes better stability.
The new Unified Driver / Surveyor interface.
Multiplayer Surveyor
New Effects layers and Presets.
Paint under Spline tools. (it's under bulk replace)
New Camera Options. Car Walk, Fly & Drone plus the originals.

Effectively what was in TRS19 Plus up to the start of Trainz Plus. However Plus is very much a beta and things may or may not get included in the mainstream version.

Confusion caused by people on the Trainz Plus beta reporting on new features as TRS22 which it isn't it's Trainz Plus, N3V did warn about the split a while ago now. Was supposed to stop confusion between versions which clearly failed.

TRS22 and Trainz plus are now separate installers, you can't go from TRS22 to Plus, needs a new install.

You may not like the Surveyor 2, some don't and I find it a bit confusing with a fairly high learning curve.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Nothing there that I'd consider worth a subscription Malc. Surveryor 2.0 is the only thing I'd want out the new version as I've had next to no trouble with TRS19.

Curmudgeonly Innis
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

PFX wrote:Can't say I've ever had a UI issue on TRS19. In fact, only real problem I've had is one of saving route progress, only to find work hasn't saved to the route, but only the session. Easily fixed though.
Oh I have this thing where the UI just locks up for a few seconds every minute or so. Like if I'm panning the camera around it will suddenly get stuck moving in one direction until it unfreezes and snaps to wherever the mouse is now. THe actual game is fine, just the ui (compass, driver panel, controls etc). Started with the SP3 patch, and has persisted ever since, including as a fresh install on a completely different PC. Effectively it means TRS19 is unusable as anything other than a ride along or a static railcam, since flying around the world and operating the controls is... challenging.
James M, creator of the
network
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I'm looking at the latest news on TRS22 and Trainz Plus and I'm starting to get very confused. I'd happily spend spare beer tokens on DLC such as the HST, but it seems you can only buy this newer content if you have TRS22 and/or Trainz Plus. Are they two different things or am I being stupid?

As TRS19 users can't buy the DLC, I'm guessing they are perhaps not backward compatible (perhaps someone with TRS22 Gold Trainz Plus 2.0 can confirm this) or N3V is trying to tempt legacy users onto the newer version by dangling content carrots? If it's not the former, it doesn't make any sense to me as a willing DLC customer, to prevent me from giving N3V money.

Do you need to buy TRS22 and a monthly subscription to access any DLC you purchase and if you end the subscription part, does that mean you are then no longer able to access your purchased DLC? That's what I understand unless I'm being very stupid here. Trust me, it's happening more often these days.

Cheers,
Innis
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

TRS22 is currently the same build as Trainz Plus but less the new features,nothing indicates the HST at 4.6 is TRS22 upwards specific.

The HST doesn't appear in TRS19 Content Store, it does in TRS22 here and probably Trainz Plus when it gets it's daily update, different installs seem to update the content store and DLS listings at different times never understood that!

It says only available for Trainz Plus Gold, that's probably as it's still in preview and not actually available to purchase yet, public release comes two weeks later when it should also then be available to purchase for TRS22 and I'm taking a guess here that as it's a 4.6 build (just installed in TRS22) it should be ok for TRS19, just have to wait maybe for a couple of weeks maybe less as it's only just appeared here but in TRS22 119451, that may be because I also have a Gold Plus install 119450 but it's not appeared in that yet!

There are a few class 68s available if you hadn't noticed.
Cheers

Malc

Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

I'm currently running TRS22 on a yearly subscription as Trainz plus standard and I cannot yet purchase the new HST set , It is currently only available for free use with those running TRS22 with the Gold class subscription . I've seen it listed at US$24.99 on the Trainz store but it currently states "This item is only available if you own a Trainz Plus Gold membership" . At some stage (I think it's 2 weeks after release to Gold users) it will be released for purchase for TRS22 and Trainz plus standard (TRS22) users . Gold class members can use their Trainz store 25% off discount to purchase the HST so that they can keep it forever if they stop their subscription to Gold . If Gold members stop their subscription or reduce it down to Trainz plus standard then they lose access to any Trainz Store DLC they have installed and had been using for free , They will still be able to use any DLC they have paid for separately either before or during their Gold subscription .

I was a bit sceptical about this subscription model but having access to surveyor 2.0 has been worth it , The things I can do in surveyor now is mind bending , I can click on a trackside object such as a signal or speed board and move it vertically or horizontally and it still works as it should , So no more cloning signals to make a right handed version or to raise or lower in the config to match a specific gantry etc.
Recently using the scrapbook section in Surveyor 2.0 I was able to select multiple items on one route (in this case a terminus station I'd previously built , So track , platform edge and top splines , Buildings , lights , signs etc .) and copy it to the scrapbook , after giving the saved selection a suitable name the route was closed . Next I opened up a newer route I'm working on and using the scrapbook function with the saved scrapbook station I used the brush tool to literally paint in all of the items of the terminus station in one pass in roughly the position I wanted it on the route . At this point the station was still facing at the same angle as it was in the old route but this wasn't suitable to match what I required , So using the selection tool I selected all of the terminus area items and then using the "Fine adjustment tool" I moved all the items together (both sideways and longways) and then rotated them to the angle that I wanted (any angle you want not just 90 degree increments) ! Doing it the old way would of been either a route merge of the board(s) that the terminus was on or I'd of had to rebuild that terminus from scratch at the new angle . I should mention at this point that you can also use that tool to lift or lower the selected items as well . Individual or multiple items can be selected and moved , raised lowered and rotated any way you want . If anyone has used the surveyor in Railworks to move individual or multiple items in one go then this works roughly in the same way .

I'm currently waiting to see what the cost of the year 2+ subscriptions will be for those of us who are approaching the end of the 1st year subscription . I'm hoping it will be less given that the initial cost of TRS22 was included in the first year subscription price (you get to keep TRS22 after 1 year of subscription if you choose to stop subscribing) as another full price year of standard plus will only actually be paying for a handful of routes , a few items of DLC and access to surveyor 2.0 , So not as financially beneficial as year 1 . The new high detail terrain will add some extra benefit but I don't know whether that can justify another full price year for subscribers , plus will it be ready in time for 2nd yearers to use from the start of their new subscriptions .... will shall no doubt see in the fullness of time ?
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Interesting. A bit disappointing that a subscription is required on top of buying TRS22 to access the main benefits. The HD terrain looks good too. I'd be interested to know if it would smooth a 5m grid but don't see or have missed that info if it's even available yet.

I had looked at the 68s before but the liveries weren't something I'd use, though I just looked again and see a DRS blue one is now available. I found the 70 a bit lacking in a few key areas but I'm happy enough to give the 68 a go. One thing about the DLC for Trainz is it is pretty reasonably priced.
bolivar
Milepost 5

Post by bolivar »

As stated on the store page, the HST is only compatible with TRS22 and Trainz Plus.:

https://store.trainzportal.com/collecti ... ercity-125
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

PFX wrote:Interesting. A bit disappointing that a subscription is required on top of buying TRS22 to access the main benefits. The HD terrain looks good too. I'd be interested to know if it would smooth a 5m grid but don't see or have missed that info if it's even available yet.

I had looked at the 68s before but the liveries weren't something I'd use, though I just looked again and see a DRS blue one is now available. I found the 70 a bit lacking in a few key areas but I'm happy enough to give the 68 a go. One thing about the DLC for Trainz is it is pretty reasonably priced.
Grid will be 0.12m, smoothing will be tested in the Plus Beta according to Tony H, anything is better than 5m.
Cheers

Malc