UK Trainz DLC – developing the range

General Trainz discussion and questions.
paulsw2
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123801
Author KUID: 234086

UK Trainz DLC – developing the range

Post by paulsw2 »

Hi everyone, I've posted the following on the N3V forum (at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... ost1950010):

"N3V have (or are planning) to release some exciting new DLC for the UK Trainz community. Here are my ideas for how the range – for minimal effort/investment – can be developed to provide more choice for UK Trainz members while enhancing N3V’s revenues.
  • BR 9F Evening Star: offer other 9F class members in plain black livery, no nameplates (additional tender options?)
  • BR Class 11 shunter: convert to the ubiquitous Class 08 shunter (942 examples!), available in black, green, blue (and possibly sector and privatisation) liveries.
  • BR HST (IC125 and Midland Pullman): offer also in BR Inter City Executive livery. Add buffers to the Mk3 trailers to create Mk3A’s for use on the West Coast mainline (in Blue-Grey and IC Exec liveries). Also consider some Privatisation liveries (eg. GNER). Sell each livery as a separate train pack.
  • LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado: offer some of the other class members (from 60114 to 60162) in a variety of liveries and train packs.
  • WCR Class 47: offer in two-tone green (1960s), blue-grey (1970s-80s) (and possibly sector and privatisation) liveries. Toggle high intensity headlight and other front-end features for realistic pre-80s appearance. Offer as standalone DLC in train packs.
  • WCR Mk1 coaches (BSK, TSO, FO): offer in maroon, blue-grey (and possibly sector and privatisation) liveries. Extend the range to include SK and FK coaches and catering vehicles (RB, RMB and RUO). Offer as standalone DLC in train packs.

Note that most of these suggestions do not require building new models, but rather fairly small revisions of existing ones (a new livery or number here, removing nameplates there and so on).

It would be a real shame if these great new models, that take full advantage of the latest game versions, were left ‘on a siding’ as it were and not developed with liveries and versions that appeal to a broad cross-section of the UK Trainz community. Will you seize the opportunity, N3V?"

I would be grateful if people were able to offer support (even if you're not interested in the models!) over there. N3V have been woeful in developing the DLC content for UK Trainz, but we now have some decent models that just need a bit more development. But I fear if it's left to N3V the models will be left to 'gather dust' and not developed further. Which, for the new Class 47 and Mk1 coaches, for example, would be a crime!

Paul
paulsw2
Past 250!

Re: UK Trainz DLC – developing the range

Post by paulsw2 »

Hi everyone. A bit of a progress update on the DLC situation for British Trainz. N3V have now issued a new HST and Mk3 trailers, a class 11 shunter and (a surprise) new blue and grey versions of the Mk1 carriage range. The last is a surprise package contained within the Class A1 Tornado pack (not sure why as it doesn't relate to the loco at all. Which is pretty classic N3V!) Sadly, these models - rather than being made available as DLC payware to the whole community - are only available through the subscription based service Trainz Plus (and possibly only the Gold level of subscription, though I'll stand corrected.)

As always with N3V, two steps forward and one back (not everyone has the desire or means to join the subscription-based service, but would be prepared to buy payware.) Anyway, some progress is better than none. Now, if only we could get some new Mk2 coaches!

Paul
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

I don't know why they can't just offer it as Payware rather than us having to subscribe too. That means people are effectively paying twice.

I have no desire to subscribe because I'm grandfathered in on a lifetime First Class Ticket which I bought yeeeeeears ago back when that was available.

I'd happily pay for Payware - but I'm not going to pay a monthly subscription just to use content.

N3V should either release content as payware OR offer it free to monthly FCT subscribers - NOT both.
slenderman7676
Past 100!
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 628458

Post by slenderman7676 »

I'm with Briggsy on this. I always dislike subscription based games and DLC. Since in effect you are basically "renting" the game/DLC rather than keeping forever. Same dislike goes to the DRM placed on payware released via the N3V store. This is the reason I buy my JR locos direct from the JR website rather than the N3V store, since the ones on JR are DRM free which means you basically can make private reskins and basic modifications e.g. Swapping the hornsound for one more accurate.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I've moved to a subscription but only to get use of Surveyor 2.0, not for specific access to payware.

Personally, I think it's excluding a fair slice of their market by making some of the payware only available to subscribers. Even if you do subscribe, you're sort of paying twice to have this content by paying your sub and also purchasing the DLC, though I believe Gold subs get access to the DLC for free? I may be wrong in that regard but that's how I read it in N3V's blurb. I'm more than happy to buy DLC outright and indeed, have done so on many occasions on the other sim. Good quality DLC is worth paying for. I'm still using snowsignals 170s and Voyagers and they still look pretty decent.

Saying that, some of the N3V DLC I have bought, is a bit below par. The Class 70 for example, doesn't appear to have working tail lights and the sound is poor. The 68 is much better but again, there are sound glitches, though much better than the 70. I bought the Tornado pack purely for the Mk1s, which are excellent models, only to discover that the colour seems to be quite a bit off as you can see in Paul's pic above.

At the end of the day though, I think DLC should be available for a one off purchase if you have a version which will support it. It seems an odd business model to me.

Innis
paulsw2
Past 250!

Post by paulsw2 »

Thanks for the responses. I can confirm that Gold subscribers get access to all the DLC free of charge. But as has been noted, you only have access as long as you're paying subs. I'm not against DLC - it could be a very useful revenue earner for N3V - but I want to be able to buy it, not rent it!

Also baffling to me is that they are packaging up assets in a way that makes no sense (blue and grey Mk1s with Tornado?) and which gives them no extra cash - this is not revenue maximising behaviour that ought to be at the heart of their business model (well, if they want to stay in business!)

I'd encourage members of this forum to go on N3V and say they'd like to buy the Mk1s as DLC (as long as reasonably priced) to demonstrate there is a demand.

Finally, regarding the liveries - I have posted on N3V about this. Very odd that the same creator - Iliosin - has created Mk3 trailers that are quite accurate and then Mk1s that are quite different (and wrong!)

Didn't someone at N3V pick up on this? (Or, for that matter, that the wheels on the B4 bogie don't rotate?!) However, you can also see in this close-up the quality that has gone into these coaches and their bogies. So it is a step forward.

Paul
james73
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 114800
Author KUID: 69518

Post by james73 »

Briggsy wrote:I don't know why they can't just offer it as Payware rather than us having to subscribe too. That means people are effectively paying twice.

I have no desire to subscribe because I'm grandfathered in on a lifetime First Class Ticket which I bought yeeeeeears ago back when that was available.

I'd happily pay for Payware - but I'm not going to pay a monthly subscription just to use content.

N3V should either release content as payware OR offer it free to monthly FCT subscribers - NOT both.
Couldn't agree more. Image

slenderman7676 wrote:I'm with Briggsy on this. I always dislike subscription based games and DLC. Since in effect you are basically "renting" the game/DLC rather than keeping forever. S
paulsw2 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I can confirm that Gold subscribers get access to all the DLC free of charge. But as has been noted, you only have access as long as you're paying subs. I'm not against DLC - it could be a very useful revenue earner for N3V - but I want to be able to buy it, not rent it!
"You will own nothing and you'll be happy...."

"Renting" is the way of the world now. It's already happened, right in front of our eyes.

• You don't buy music on CD or vinyl, you rent it from Spotify or Deezer.
• You don't buy films on DVD or BluRay, you rent it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I'm just glad I've still got my 1000+ vinyl LPs and 300+ CDs. At least I'll have some plastic to burn to keep warm when I can't afford to "rent" anymore electricity from the feckers.....