TransDEM support thread

General Trainz discussion and questions.
kemplen
New Starter
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 117009
Author KUID: 84609

Re: TransDEM support thread

Post by kemplen »

Hi - new to this - first weekend and i have made 9 versions of my proposed route in TransDEM and got them into Trainz 2019

.... here is one of those 9 versions, where I offset my tracing of the route so it would still use 'tiles around a rote' and improve where I am suposed to trace.

I want to get it better than this so will probably create another 9 versions, hopefully that look a bit better.

One question, when I lay track over this map textured ground, it is partially sunken, is this right ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Veteran Trainz’er since UTC days - Content Creator on projects such as Settle Carlisle and Potteries Loop Line
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

Yes that is correct, due to the 5m grid size the top of where the embankments are slope slightly. I usually set the track to the height of the embankment then slowly the raise the land up until the track no longer appears to be floating, or lower the ground so the track is no longer buried. Shouldn't be as much of an issue once the new HD terrain is implemented, although no idea how dem would be imported with the HD terrain.

Mark
kemplen
New Starter

Post by kemplen »

Thanks Mark, yeah it's sort of what I was asuming, got to try and get the historic six inch OS maps working next I think, and play more with the resolutions, have got to try the auto track spline laying next, to use as a start - have got to then look at the bridges, tunnels and the now filled cuttings - should keep me out of mischief !
Veteran Trainz’er since UTC days - Content Creator on projects such as Settle Carlisle and Potteries Loop Line
kemplen
New Starter

Post by kemplen »

I have come on leaps and bounds -:

..... I now have custom composite 3D UTM tiles, using the track plan image from my reference book edited in using photoshop, getting more towards something I can work with :D
kemplen
New Starter

Post by kemplen »

Hello - any advise on removing the 'crackle finish' to my UTM tiles or is it the base DEM ?

PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

You can lower the UTM tile below the ground level and you'll see if it's the DEM. If you've set the grid squares to 10m in TransDEM, the angular appearance will be greatly exaggerated over a 5m grid. It's hard to tell from the picture.

Cheers,
Innis
craigdon
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: 2022

Where do I start with TransDEM

Post by craigdon »

I have recently returned to Trainz after an absence of 15 - 20 years. I have bought TransDEM and am wanting to make routes in Fife including the Circle and the Leven branch line that is being rebuilt. Can someone explain if I am right here in my thinking, the main TransDEM_engl manual is used for the instructions for creating the files needed to create the folders in TransDEMTrainz_engl. The files are assembled in TransDEMTrrainz to create what can be used in Trainz. I have Trainz 2019 Platinum Edition and Trainz 2022. I have done the Muengsten tutorial and it looks as if it could be used inTrainz quite easily. I only had to load in 3 or 4 files and and save them in TransDEMTrainz , Ithink it may have been a raster map, vector data and a dem but I am not sure. Can anyone explain the what the necessary are ?? please. I would like to start to make a route and the muengsten one has whetted my appetite to get started. So what files do I need and where do I start. Anyone ??
craigdon

EDIT Thanks for shifting this Marky.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

When you say what files, do you mean the actual map elevation data with which to create your DEM?
craigdon
Milepost 1

Post by craigdon »

Hi PFX,
I think that is what I mean, I don't have a clear idea of what I am supposed to be doing and that is why am looking here for an idea on how to progress (or even start). I have done the tutorials suggested by Roland on the TransDEM forums but when I check other sources they seem to be out of date or have moved on and no longer carry the data needed (or I simply can't find it). It seemed relatively easy to do the tutorial as explained on the TransDEM forum, I just can't see how to replicate that with the maps I need.
craigdon
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

It's been some time since I used TransDEM but the data you need will be on the Ordnance Survey site. I'll have to have a look to see which particular data set it is you need. I may even have saved the Scottish data but it will take a bit of hoaking to find it. Failing that, I'll try and find the link for you.

Cheers,
Innis
craigdon
Milepost 1

Post by craigdon »

Thanks Innis I am getting there slowly as I got a PM from a forum member about this and he is quite happy leading me through it. I have hit a few snags already but hopefully I will get there. Thanks again for the offer of help.
On another note I saw your post/thread on another part of this site and it was about the lines in Central Scotland. I am hoping to do the Fife lines including the Leven branch that they are re-opening. Would there be some way I could use part of your system to help me with the Fife Circle and Edinburgh - Dundee that I would like to connect with. ??
craigdon
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Great news. TransDEM is a steep learning curve but once you get it, it's an excellent bit of software.

Not sure my route would help you out as it doesn't go east of the Forth Bridge, instead heading west to Alloa. I may curtail it further as my primary focus is Embra - Glasgow with Dunblane thrown in.
craigdon
Milepost 1

Post by craigdon »

Thanks for that PFX, I had a look at the Edinburgh_ Dundee ECML route and the the old lines are on the map from Thornton towards Leven. It seems to stop around Methil and Buckhaven so I could start there and see if it can be completed.
I don't know if I should abandon all thought of Surveyor as it is taking up a fair bit of the time I have and I have a lot of work to do at the 'Shed' (Glenrothes Mens Shed) instructing on the use and care of scroll saws.
craigdon
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Don't give up on it just yet. I found it really frustrating until it finally 'clicked'. Actually, Roland's own TransDEM forum is really good for help and info and Roland himself is always very helpful if you're really stuck.https://forum.transdem.de/viewforum.php?f=1 You need to register but it's worth it.

I think I've found the DEM data on my PC but will have to decipher which ones you need. Selecting the right ones is a right peeve.
craigdon
Milepost 1

Post by craigdon »

Thanks PFX, I haven't intended giving up, I just need to take it a bit easier. At 84 years of age learning these new things takes a bit of time and the brain cell ( I don't know which of the 2 ) doesn't seem to very active. lol
I am a member of the TransDEM forum but am still waiting on some answers to questions I raised. As you say it is a good forum and I will stick with it.
I will take it easy for a while.
Thanks again
craigdon