Recommendations on new Laptop please

For general hardware discussions. Including upgrade advice.
gamerouche
Past 250!

Recommendations on new Laptop please

Post by gamerouche »

Hi all, I need to update my Trainz gaming experience especially now that I have both 2019 & TANE which are so slow on my current laptop. Can anyone recommend a gaming laptop that will run these games with a reasonable frame rate? A tower PC is not an option at present.

I've looked at the ACER Nitro 5 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core , i5-9300H Processor, NVIDIA GTX 1650, 4 GB, 256 GB SSD
8 GB RAM

I'm wondering if this unit would do the job?

Any comments/help gratefully accepted. Regards

Gam :?:
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Recommendations on new Laptop please

Post by Mightyena »

I generally really don't reccommend laptops for gaming, but since a desktop isn't an option, that sounds like it would probably be okay for low-medium settings (probably more like medium, although that depends on which 1650 it is, the regular mobile 1650, or the 1650 Max-Q). I say that because I can play on high with a desktop GTX 1070, and the 1650 mobile is a little faster than a 1050ti

The only thing is how much content you're going to have installed - my Trainz installs (TS12, T:ANE and TRS19) are each about 100GB, so a 256GB SSD might not be enough. I might also look at 16GB RAM if its not too much extra - while I think 8GB ought to be fine, 16 gives that extra bit of breathing room.
James M, creator of the
network
gamerouche
Past 250!

Post by gamerouche »

Thanks for your reply, my total Trainz install is currently spread over TRS19, TANE & TMR2017 and only makes up around 36 Gb. in total.
According to the videos I've watched on youTube, the Laptop in question would be easy to add a larger SSD & extra Memory if & when required in future. I'm not yet in the market so I've got time to look around which is half the fun. Regards Gam
AmmyRoy
New Starter
Trainz Version: TRS22

Post by AmmyRoy »

Hello Gam,

Upgrading your gaming experience with a new laptop sounds like a great idea, especially for running Trainz 2019 and TANE more smoothly. The ACER Nitro 5 you're considering is a decent choice, but let's take a closer look to ensure it will meet your gaming needs.

ACER Nitro 5 17.3" Gaming Laptop Specs:

Processor: The Intel Core i5-9300H processor is a solid choice for gaming. It offers good performance for most games, including Trainz.

Graphics: The NVIDIA GTX 1650 is a capable GPU, especially for a laptop. It should handle Trainz games well, providing you with reasonable frame rates.

Storage: A 256 GB SSD is excellent for faster loading times and a snappier overall experience. However, if you plan to install many games, you might want to consider additional external storage.

- **RAM**: 8 GB of RAM is the minimum requirement for most modern games, including Trainz. It should run them smoothly, but if you can upgrade to 16 GB, it would provide even better performance.

Factors to Consider:

Budget: Ensure that the ACER Nitro 5 fits your budget. Gaming laptops can vary in price, so it's essential to find one that strikes the right balance between performance and cost.

Screen Size: A 17.3" screen offers a more immersive gaming experience, but it also means a larger and heavier laptop. Make sure the size is comfortable for you.

Cooling: Gaming laptops tend to heat up during extended gameplay. Check if the laptop has good cooling solutions to prevent overheating.

Battery Life: If you plan to use your laptop on the go, consider the battery life. Gaming laptops typically have shorter battery life due to their high-performance components.

Warranty: Look into the laptop's warranty and after-sales support. It's always good to have peace of mind regarding potential issues.

Conclusion:

Based on the specs you've mentioned, the ACER Nitro 5 should indeed run Trainz 2019 and TANE at a reasonable frame rate. However, do consider the factors mentioned above before making your final decision. It's essential to ensure that the laptop not only meets your gaming needs but also fits comfortably within your budget and lifestyle.

Best of luck with your gaming upgrade, and I hope you enjoy a smoother Trainz gaming experience soon!