Locos, DMUs, EMUs, Carriages etc.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Re: Class 423 4VEP

Post by klambert »

My refurbished Class 423, being put through its paces on CLL.

I've been rather quiet on here for the past month or so but in that time I've created the 1988 refurbished driving trailer and then grappled with the frustrations of enginespec creation. My thanks to Nexusdj for allowing me to modify his existing 100mph EMU spec. One bone of contention is that I still can't get the ruddy headlight to work :evil:. Yes I have tried checking the attachment point name, although I'm open to other suggestions if there is any.

I'm waiting until I finish the Gatwick Express 423 as that requires a bit of mesh alteration, before I release any models, as I often find when I get to the uploading to the DLS stage, I can't look the model mesh in the face again, so it's best to get all the mesh variants done now and then upload the various models in stages rather than in one go. I'm reluctant to give specific release dates as I find that always jinxes things. However there is light at the end of what has been a very long, 3 year tunnel.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

Is the spot light rotated in the correct direction, the attachment that is.
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

greeni wrote:Is the spot light rotated in the correct direction, the attachment that is.
Yeah I checked that, by temporarily adding a corona asset.

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
Giac425
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TRS19
Author KUID: 857354

Post by Giac425 »

I never realised that Gatwick Express had the 423 in their rolling stock, I always thought they only used the 489 before the 442 and 460 were brought in.
This train has been delayed due to a high number of polys.
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

Ok this issue with the refurbished VEP headlight, is driving me insane. I havn't been able to find a solution for this problem and I havn't been able to solve it for the past two months.

So I have a several Options:

A) Leave it, have the light as purely aesthetic, (Very tempting) however my own sense of perfectionism will forever bother me for not finishing the job properly.

B) Create my own corona effect script, (I know little to nothing about scripting, it all looks Greek to me!). I was looking at implementing eldavos lightup script, but it does seem a bit of a bodge and seeing as my folder structure differs from Daves suggestion and as well as the unit having it's own script which will require extensive alteration, I really don't fancy it.

I could try and adapt my existing script to have a directional corona effect, to match the directional texture replacement script I have going on. However I'm not sure on how to do this, any help would be much appreciated. (the unit only has a single headlight, no taillights or anything) This is the code below anyway.

Code: Select all

include "locomotive.gs"
include "MeshObject.gs"
include "library.gs"
class class489 isclass Locomotive {
  Asset asheadcode;
  Train myTrain;
  Library numberit;

void ChangeHeadCode(void) {

bool vehicleToTrain = GetDirectionRelativeToTrain();
    if (vehicleToTrain) {    
      SetFXTextureReplacementTexture("headcode", "4vep_body/headcodef.texture"); 
    } else {    
      SetFXTextureReplacementTexture("headcode", "4vep_body/headcode.texture"); 
    }
  }
  void OnTurnAround(Message msg) {
    if (msg.dst == myTrain) { 
      ChangeHeadCode();  // reinitialise your codes
    }
  }
  public void Init(void) {
 inherited();
 myTrain = me.GetMyTrain();
     Sniff(myTrain,"Train","TurnAround",true); // Your locomotive wouldn't normally see this message, Sniff enables redirection.
     AddHandler(me,"Train","TurnAround","OnTurnAround");  // when the message is received call OnTurnAround
     ChangeHeadCode();  // this will still handle your initial setup
        // Pick a running number if one hasn't already been set
        numberit = World.GetLibrary(GetAsset().LookupKUIDTable("NumberIt_library"));
        if (numberit) {
            GSObject[] objectParam = new GSObject[1];
            objectParam[0] = me;
            numberit.LibraryCall("SetRunningNumber", null, objectParam);
        }
    }
};

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Can't help you with scripting I'm afraid - however, as you've mentioned you've tried loads of different things, have you tried running it in an earlier version of Trainz to make sure that that it's not actually an issue with whatever version of Trainz your using rather than the script itself that's wrong?

I've only come across it once or twice - but I've found that on a rare occasion, I've had to alter a script in TANE to get it to work, even though it worked fine in TS12 and earlier.

Alternatively, I'm not sure if he's still accessible these days because I've not seen him on here for a good 18+ months or so - but I seem to recall TMZ06003 being pretty good with scripts. Might be worth seeing if you can get hold of him? I'm sure he wouldn't mind - he always seemed approachable and helpful in the past :D
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

The oldest version I can stick it in is Trainz 12, as that's what I have installed.

It's these small details that hold up projects that I have no patience for. It's why I could never be programmer.

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

The Class 423 project is still slowly rumbling (or do I mean whirring) in the background. Was hoping to have this released in March but a number of things have held it up, personal stuff and I decided last minute to upgrade the textures from 1024 x 1024 to 2048, there's definitely a difference but the filesize is now huge, debating whether to change it back, the unit on the left has the 2048 texture and the right has 1024.

The release is looking to be around June now.

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

I'd say keep it at 2048, it does seem to make quite the difference, especially to the diagonals. I tend to use 2048 for my reskins as it keeps detail a lot better than 1024.
klambert wrote:...but the filesize is now huge...
If you want excessive filesizes, I think some of my earlier Class 477 reskins actually used 4096x4096 textures! :shock:
James M, creator of the
network
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

I agree. Keep it as 2048 x 2048 if possible. The diagonals on the livery looks so much smoother.

Unless it has a negative impact on the all important tilt feature of course ;)
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

2048 is the way to go now especially with any livery that involves angled stripes .
I can see from your screenshot that the angled stripes on the 1024 unit have jagged edges whilst the 2048 doesn't .
I've been using US content for a few years now which use 2048 textures and there isn't much difference in loading times in game , It's just the file sizes which are larger .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Nexusdj wrote:I've been using US content for a few years now which use 2048 textures and there isn't much difference in loading times in game , It's just the file sizes which are larger .
Yep. In TS12 it can sometimes cause it to get 'stuck' loading the higher res textures for a while, but that's probably the ancient engine.

In T:ANE even the stupidly large 4096x4096 textures didn't phase it, though T:ANE seems to drive my GTX 1070 to its knees anyway...
James M, creator of the
network
klambert
Forum Veteran

Post by klambert »

Thanks all, I'll keep it at 2048 then, was worried about the free trainz download speed putting people off from downloading my model, but I cant stay stuck in 2012 forever!

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Briggsy wrote:I agree. Keep it as 2048 x 2048 if possible. The diagonals on the livery looks so much smoother.

Unless it has a negative impact on the all important tilt feature of course ;)
It doesn't affect the tilt mechanism at all but I do find it more difficult to perform the vertical take off and landings :?. Any tips?

Cheers

Dave ;)
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

cyberdonblue wrote:...perform the vertical take off and landings...
That explains that 350 I saw sailing through the air yesterday... :P

I mean, some of the Mk3 units used to sound (and ride) like they were going to take off, but you'd need a bit more of a run-up, than vertical!
James M, creator of the
network