T:ANE

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: T:ANE

Post by PFX »

This thread is the perfect example why I frequent the British Trainz forum over the N3V one. We almost got heated there and all of a sudden... Talking about holey jeans again. Magnificent. :lol:

@chazi898, thank you for very kindly suggesting I'm a content creator. I really wish I was but alas, all I really do is reskin other people's work (with permission of course!)
chazi898
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS 2012

Post by chazi898 »

Even if you produce something out of something else, as long as it is an object we can use that is in some way different to the last, then yes, I regard that as a new piece of content. So, I think anybody who contributes any addition to the Trainz community at any stage in its development is by all means giving Trainz the extra helping hand we need to keep things going, to get over the Lickley incline that todays world is.
So as far as I'm concerned, you also deserve a place on that list :D
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

chazi898 wrote:On a very much less heated note, Mightyena, I'd be interested to know are your crashes in TS12 SP1 related to any runtime errors of such or anything relatable? Because, I run the same version now, after reluctantly updating to SP1, (sure enough my assets break in the process), and I have experienced crashes like this, which stop me from building any further on selected routes I have, so I'd be interested to know if or what you do with the crashes in TS12 SP1.

Thank you for your time, Chazi.
Not too sure what causes them. Screen just freezes, goes frosted white for a few minutes until I get the "Trainz.exe has stopped working" Windows message. As for what I do with the crashes, restart Trainz, wait 4 hours for a database repair and hope nothing got corrupted. Well that and just not use SP1. My main installation is still on 49922, the 61388 install is for testing purposes only.

Jetlog wise, no errors. The only thing present is the standard startup messages. I doubt its content related since it happens on a fresh install with only builtin content. Also have tried it on 4 different PCs now, and I get the same behaviour on all of them, so It's probably not a hardware problem.
clam1952 wrote:Sometimes just cloning the route in CM or save as in game can fix problems.
No kidding, the reason my updated Southern class 477 reskins use a different KUID to the originals is because the originals have become permanently faulty and claim they can't load a load of textures from the mesh. 'Create new version' doesn't fix it, but cloning the offending asset makes everything work again. Go figure...
James M, creator of the
network
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

clam1952 wrote:Define does not work properly?
1. Every time N3V bring out a new version of Trainz, content that worked in previous versions suddenly starts flagging up errors for no reasons whatsoever other than N3V moved the goalposts yet again - only to backtrack at a later date when people kick off - as they did with TANE.

2. The floating tunnels issue in TANE that wasn't there in TS12 and versions prior to that. Yes, I know that we can fix it ourselves - but the point is, we shouldn't have to.

People should be able to buy a game / sim - and use it out of the box as a game / sim. They shouldn't have to faff about in editors, etc just to make content work.

If we bought a car, but the engine timing was all over the place - and we took it back to the garage and their response was "you can fix it yourself mate" or "Yeah we know it's not quite right - but we're working on a patch for the engine management computer - then it'll be fine", it would not be acceptable to any customers - nor would it be legal.

If we bought an item of clothing - but the cuffs needing stitching in place, or the pockets needing sewing on, it would be unacceptable.

Yet with N3V, we're expected to pay full price for a product that is riddled with bugs upon release - and still not quite right three years on. Then by the time things have been patched up with service packs and updates, N3V start offering the software on deals. It should be the other way round - release it at a discounted price while the software is still being developed - then release it at full price when the software is actually usable.

TH comes across as very arrogant and dismissive. He always seems to have a "its not us mate, it's you" patronising tone. After you invited him on here a few weeks ago, there were several of us all discussing how nobody has a Scooby-Doo how the engine spec side of things works because it's overly complex with very little literature on it.

He then went on about how he'd tried a few things out, and it seemed fine to him - but tweaks could be made via X,Y and Z. He was asked whether a basic manual could be created and supplied. A few other questions were asked too - but he was never to be seen again on here. Well, actually he was - because as a moderator of this forum, I could see when he was online - and I could see that he read the thread a few times after that - but didn't bother to reply.

So whilst you say that "they're listening" - they may well be - but the impression is, they listening in one ear, but its coming straight out the other because they / he don't want to hear - and from their point of view, why should they. They get their money whether their product works fully - or whether its released with glitches galore that still needs patches 3 years later.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Deleted, wasting my time on here, pointless exercise.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

We almost got heated there and all of a sudden... Talking about holey jeans again. Magnificent.
And did I mention I'm retiring this week - 41 years of railway service done!

Well it will give me more time for route editing in whatever sim I choose, after the decorating, gardening, laminate flooring and all the other tasks, "It's not worth starting that dear as I'm back at work in xx days."

:)
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Happy retirement, Vern :D

Even though I retired on health grounds, when I look back I can honestly say that I don't know how I found time to go to work :lol:

When the Mrs starts to nag just tell her that you've got the rest of your life to do xxxx task :lol: ...because you have now ;)

Take it easy Vern. It's time to enjoy life while you still can.

Cheers

Dave
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Happy retirement :D
I managed nearly 22 years on the railway before ill health caused an earlier than planned retirement . There are days when I do miss the driving but I certainly don't miss the shift work !
So much pleasure in being able to set your own bed times , meal times and planning what to do today , tomorrow , the next day .... :D

As for Trainz 2019 .....
I have no plans at the moment to purchase it , going to stick with TANE for the foreseeable future .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Yes enjoy your retirement Vern, I find I have more to do now or more likely, time to do what I couldn't do when working. I thoroughly recommend a career in Retirement ;)
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Happy retirement Vern.

I've got quite a way to go until retirement - particularly if the Tories remain in government beyond the next general election when I suspect I won't be able to claim my £3.22p per week state pension until I'm 108 years old.
VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

Thanks for the good wishes!

I won't miss the shifts, particularly nights! What I will miss most is the people, they are what makes the railway such a great place to have worked. Over the years you meet and work with so many different personalities, hopefully take and give a little wisdom from all of them.

And now back to tearing my hair out route building in TRS2019!