Blender Help

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
RDLOVER777
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 3.7
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 657338

Blender Help

Post by RDLOVER777 »

Hi all, recently i've been trying to get one of my old roblox models (gasp) into trainz via blender but im having problems with the UV mapping rendering as a jumbled mess, i've tried using PaulHobb's tutorials for it but they're sadly outdated.
UV Map.png
Does anyone know how i might medigate the mess for the map as the .xml exporting using the N3V plugin fails without the texture map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STADLER FLIRTS FOREVER!
SnakeLight64
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019/2022
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 563140

Re: Blender Help

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Hi there,

Have you tried Smart UV Project? I set the Angel Limit to 89 to give a better unwrap. Then from there I edit the UV map to a layout, there is most likely a different way of doing it (with the hand of Mark Seam)

I've been slowly unwrapping the 1992 Stock I've making and doing it via the Smart UV Project has helped loads!

I hope i make sense!

R
RDLOVER777
Past 100!

Post by RDLOVER777 »

SnakeLight64 wrote:Hi there,

Have you tried Smart UV Project? I set the Angel Limit to 89 to give a better unwrap. Then from there I edit the UV map to a layout, there is most likely a different way of doing it (with the hand of Mark Seam)

I've been slowly unwrapping the 1992 Stock I've making and doing it via the Smart UV Project has helped loads!

I hope i make sense!

R
tried that, as per paulhobb's tutorial and it causes that jumbled mess
STADLER FLIRTS FOREVER!
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Just noticed your model is one whole object, I'd suggest splitting parts of the mesh into separate objects to make it easier for the UVMap, for example, Doors, Cab, Main body, Windows, etc etc. When you then unwrap each object, you won't get a cluster like what you are experiencing now.

The other I can think of is deleting that UVMap, selecting an area of the mesh and then doing the unwrap process, this way you can do each part step by step without having to go through the whole object, then repeat the process.

Unless someone with more knowledge knows what's best?

Also if you want to know more about Blender I'd highly suggest watching Blender Guru tutorial, it's not aimed for game content creation but you will learn how to use blender, etc.

R
RDLOVER777
Past 100!

Post by RDLOVER777 »

i'll give that a try, cheers
STADLER FLIRTS FOREVER!
RDLOVER777
Past 100!

Post by RDLOVER777 »

SnakeLight64 wrote:Just noticed your model is one whole object, I'd suggest splitting parts of the mesh into separate objects to make it easier for the UVMap, for example, Doors, Cab, Main body, Windows, etc etc. When you then unwrap each object, you won't get a cluster like what you are experiencing now.

The other I can think of is deleting that UVMap, selecting an area of the mesh and then doing the unwrap process, this way you can do each part step by step without having to go through the whole object, then repeat the process.

Unless someone with more knowledge knows what's best?

Also if you want to know more about Blender I'd highly suggest watching Blender Guru tutorial, it's not aimed for game content creation but you will learn how to use blender, etc.

R
I did what you said and started on the doors and i got this UVMap
UV Map2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STADLER FLIRTS FOREVER!
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Ah, ok i guess my help isn't so much of help unfortunately, sorry about that. The only thing i can suggest for you is to give this tutorial by Blender Guru a go, i'm still a novice at modelling/blender but saw your post and wanted to lend a hand. But obviously I failed! ha ha :( I suspect the way i've been doing it has worked for me as I only have a small section (My model is mirrored 2 times)

R
RDLOVER777
Past 100!

Post by RDLOVER777 »

thought i'd post this here since this is blender in general.

How do i prevent imported meshing in trainz from being slightly see through as you can see in the pictures below

STADLER FLIRTS FOREVER!