Class 487 WIP

Locos, DMUs, EMUs, Carriages etc.
pacerguy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 0

Class 487 WIP

Post by pacerguy »

Since we have a detailed Waterloo and City line now i thought i would try make a Class 487

Updated cab shell
pacerguy
Past 250!

Re: Class 487 WIP

Post by pacerguy »

Quick update
pacerguy
Past 250!

Post by pacerguy »

All the holes punched in the Trailer car
pacerguy
Past 250!

Post by pacerguy »

Updated Trailer
Start of the insides
pacerguy
Past 250!

Post by pacerguy »

Got the end doors done. Plus inside just needs seats light fittings etc. OTHERWISE ITS A GLORIFIED CATTLE TRUCK :lol:
I know the real ones didnt have bulkheads before and after all the doors but i prefer it
pacerguy
Past 250!

Post by pacerguy »

FIRST INGAME PICTURE WOW :shock:
by no means finished just wanted to play after all the work :lol:
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

As some feedback, may I suggest making it to a higher poly spec, and using higher res textures. I understand this maybe your first model. I don't know the effectiveness of Roblox as a 3D modelling suite although in the past I have seen some rather nice looking 170s made in there.

Although I'd suggest learning a program wholly designed for 3D design as they're better optimised for game applications, as well being able to achieve better visual results.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
SnakeLight64
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019/2022
Author KUID: 563140

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Great start so far!

I echo what Klambert says above, definitely try add more smoother curves, it'll make the model look much better or look at using Blender, etc.

I know with Roblox it creates it's own LOD system for models if set correctly, I'm currently making stuff for a LU Roblox game and have learned a few things with Studio (all I do is import my meshes and hand over to the team to place, script, etc.)

On some of the Roblox Discord servers I'm on, there are some amazing models being made so it's possible to make decent models, but I would have a guess it'll be high polys.

Keep it up pacer.
pacerguy
Past 250!

Post by pacerguy »

I used to use the Trainz GMAX pack a long time ago. my first model on that was a Class 70 its on the DLS as Unnamed dont ask why. i was thick when uploading it.
Yes its Ugly

Then i got lazy and just made my basic stuff on Sketchup.

Back to the Class 487 now. I might remake it or try make it smooth or just release the source files for anyone.
Curves never have been a strong point of mine. plenty of time during lockdown to learn i guess.... :roll:
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

pacerguy wrote:I used to use the Trainz GMAX pack a long time ago. my first model on that was a Class 70 its on the DLS as Unnamed dont ask why. i was thick when uploading it.
Yes its Ugly

Back to the Class 487 now. I might remake it or try make it smooth or just release the source files for anyone.
Curves never have been a strong point of mine. plenty of time during lockdown to learn i guess.... :roll:
Gmax is worth persevering with, it essentially teaches you the basics of 3DS Max, something worthwhile knowing as it can be relevent if you ever wanted to be a professional 3D modeller as it is one of the industry standard programs (3DS max that is, not gmax). For quite some time I too was daunted by curves, however it's simpler than you'd think, you just have to change the way you create models. A problem I had when starting out modelling is I'd try to create a model like how they would be built in real life, IE you build and try to model in as much detail as you can each component separately You'd say make the left side wall of the train, mirror that to create the right side wall, create the rear wall, and front end, then create the underframe, UV map and texture and job done ... well no, Instead approach a model like how a sculptor would start off with a block of stone, 9/10 times, I start off with a single block, sized to the maximum dimensions of the object. Start off with a simple shape and manipulate as you go, adding ever more slice planes and manipulating the vertices and the end product is something that feels far more joined up. You can see my early methods of using this technique with my class 465, as it a basic model? Very! But it taught me the value of this technique. The best thing to do is follow along with some half decent tutorials, on Youtube, even better is some of the courses on, Lynda, Skillshare or there is one more but I can't remember it's name and you'll see how the pro's do it.

The trick with 3D modelling isn't necessarily your proficiency with the program but how you think about a 3D model.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Fair play - it's nice to see you trying to replicate shapes and cut outs more accurately rather than the blocks on wheels you used to do.

Keep chipping away at it - practice makes perfect.

If / when time allows, creating is something I'd like to try to learn this year. There are some big gaps in the Royal Mail / RES sector that I'd like to create eventually.
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3

Post by rowletmaster »

pacerguy wrote:I used to use the Trainz GMAX pack a long time ago. my first model on that was a Class 70 its on the DLS as Unnamed dont ask why. i was thick when uploading it.
Yes its Ugly

i mean sure? there hasnt been anybody who have made a class 70 for trainz so i say give it a go
pacerguy
Past 250!

Post by pacerguy »

hmm putting this on hold for now.
going back to my roots and will make a new class 70 next then might remake the tube stock
rowletmaster
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP3

Post by rowletmaster »

noice alrighty good luck with it
Redmanb11
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: 2012 + TANE + 2019
Trainz Build: 105175
Author KUID: 245144

Post by Redmanb11 »

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's heels with this, but I decided I should try to convert Alistair Cowell's MSTS class 487 model to Trainz (I have permission to convert) in the meantime :)

ImageClass 487 DMBS by James Brenner, on Flickr

Probably won't be the best, but it's a start I guess... (considering I have a bunch of stuff ready to convert)
Trying to find time to play ATS, ETS2, Train Simulator and Trainz!